Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 3, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 3, 2025 (edited) 10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Confess, Fletch was excellent, but he doesn't choose well on the whole. Ah yes, I've meant to watch that. I try and watch everything he's in JUST IN CASE he captures that lightning again. Edit: well worth watching this appearance by Hamm on a dating show in the 90s (?) which is oily as fuck. https://www.instagram.com/reel/DHnsrv3xTix/?igsh=MXJ6MnB5aXYxc3YydA== Edited April 3, 2025 by Onyx2 Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 3, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 3, 2025 Just been reminded that I have seen Tag. I would not have remembered it by myself. That probably tells you all you need to know. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2025 (edited) 8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Confess, Fletch was excellent, but he doesn't choose well on the whole. I liked his turn in Top Gun Maverick but just because I always appreciate seeing that face. I appreciate I am not the target audience for A Minecraft Movie, but it’s not very good. It started off alright and I did laugh a handful of times, but it has some of the weirdest women’s roles I’ve seen in a film, just weirdly directed and I felt sorry for them. But Jared Hess has never made a film I’ve really enjoyed so maybe I just don’t like his style. Most of the kids in my screening seemed to enjoy it, but 2 adults left an hour in… Edited April 4, 2025 by Hannibal Scorch Quote
Mr_Danger Posted April 4, 2025 Posted April 4, 2025 Best thing Jon Hamm has done since Mad Men is his absolutely fantastic villain Roy Tillman in Fargo series 5. I enjoyed his Fletch and it left me wanting more good Jon Hamm films but his tv work far surpasses his film work at this point. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted April 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2025 We stopped watching Fletch halfway through. Don’t think we laughed once. Got the afternoon off so I’ve stuck The Terminator on. I mean it’s one of the greatest films of all time what more can you say. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2025 Novocaine (cinema) Very, very much my thing. I thought this used its gimmick far more smartly than I expected and the plot twist raises the stakes very high. Some might struggle with the extreme violence / comedy tone mix but I was alright with it. Jack Quaid has emerged as very likeable and reliable but Amber Midthunder is a huge star. She's an A-lister in waiting. A Working Man (cinema) Not one of Statham's best and not a patch on The Beekeeper but really enjoyable in its second half when the action kicks in. I don't mind this partnership with David Ayer but Ayer's worst habits occasionally poke through here until Statham rescues it. What a guy. Flow (cinema) Wonderful. So much good animation happening right now but Gints Zilbalodis is the most exciting talent in the whole medium. Builds on Away with a fuller array of characters and, as such, an even more satisfying story. Just gorgeous, easily one of the best animated films of the last decade. Restless (cinema) Excellent and ultimately very funny urban thriller about a woman who clashes with her new arsehole neighbours. Recognisable situations that turn into familiar nightmares and a belter of a last 20 minutes or so. I hope it gets some attention. Dinner in America (Prime) As reported, terrific. I do have my qualms about the sheer number of slurs used here, which don't reflect well on Kyle Gallner's character at all well, so that was a disappointment. But I can't deny that this was also really charming and an almost anarchic take on the romcom. A shame we've not seen that much more of Emily Skeggs too. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (Prime) Yeah, this is funny. I think it could have been slightly funnier but John Cho and Kal Penn are excellent and the Battleshits scene is hilarious. I will watch the others. Footprints on the Moon (Prime) The slowest, weirdest and most mesmerising giallo film I've seen. Nothing quite like this, to the point where I don't even want to talk about what I liked in it in case I spoil it. Action Jackson God this film is great. Just the epitome of everything that should be wrong but was so right about 80s action films. Red Beard I mean, it's Akira Kurosawa. Not one of his better known ones but even those tend to be brilliant as well, as this is. Toshiro Mifune forever a legend. The Murderers Are Among Us (ok.ru) German drama set just months after the end of WWII and shot in a dilapidated Berlin. Honestly can't believe they were making films so directly critical of Germany so soon after Hitler's death but they were, and this is very strong and has a devastating last third. Some film. A Brighter Summer Day Extremely depressing and long Taiwanese coming-of-age drama, beautifully shot and acted with some very strong social commentary. Absolutely not for everyone but despite its slowness almost everything happening here matters. In the Line of Duty 4 (DailyMotion) No you don't need to have seen the first three because it's one of those mad Hong Kong 'sequels' that isn't a sequel at all. What it is is an actioner that never stops for one second. The fight scenes are amazing and dangerous and it's everything you should want of this sort of thing. The Human Condition - Parts I to III One of the most important pieces of cinema in Japanese history, one that is openly and blisteringly critical of the country's attitude to its participation in WWII, and it spares no targets at all. 9 hours from start to finish, so it's a hard grind but it's far more accessible than it might sound and a genuinely worthwhile journey. The second part is strongest, and was a huge influence on the first half of Full Metal Jacket. La Commune (Paris, 1871) (YouTube) Peter Watkins' near 6 hour (oh yes) docu-drama about the Paris Commune is unlike anything you'll ever watch. Watkins' most accessible film is probably Punishment Park and if you liked the style of that then it's employed here and married to fourth wall breaking commentary and other unusual narrative techniques. Honestly one of the most incredible and advanced pieces of cinema I've ever watched. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 4, 2025 Posted April 4, 2025 4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Dinner in America (Prime) As reported, terrific. I do have my qualms about the sheer number of slurs used here, which don't reflect well on Kyle Gallner's character at all well, so that was a disappointment. But I can't deny that this was also really charming and an almost anarchic take on the romcom. A shame we've not seen that much more of Emily Skeggs too. Yeah... I didn't bring that stuff up in my initial gushing over the film but I also feel like it actually kind of worked for the character, he's not this right on working class anarchist punk, he's a rich piece of shit cosplaying. But then it also wants you to like him, still my favorite comedy of recent times though. Emily seems to be doing more local stuff, really into improv etc. Hopefully she gets a good role sometime soon. I'm glad Novocaine is good, Jack and Amber seem to be the loveliest. Might have a bit of a crush on them both so I'll be off to see that soon. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 4, 2025 Members Posted April 4, 2025 17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Amber Midthunder Great name. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2025 3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Great name. A deservedly cool name for a really cool person. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2025 On 4/3/2025 at 11:49 PM, Devon Malcolm said: Confess, Fletch was excellent, but he doesn't choose well on the whole. Watched it tonight. First 40 minutes are quite funny then it just got dull. John Hamm is fine. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 (edited) A Minecraft Movie. This feels like Jared Hess started making a spiritual successor to Napoleon Dynamite then some studio execs caught wind of it and reminded him they’d given him £100m to make a Minecraft film. It’s a shame because I enjoyed that 20 minutes. The whole Minecraft bit and generic quest plot was as contrived and shit as you’d imagine. There’s still some mileage if you enjoy Jack Black or Jason Momoa. Really what I took from this was that Jared Hess needs to make an 80’s set wrestling movie with Jack Black and Jason Momoa as a tag team working the territories. If you don’t like Jared Hess or Jack Black then there is nothing here for you. The kids liked it though and it went down well in our screening. Stifflers mum wants to shag a Minecraft man in it too for what must be the strangest subplot ever. Edited April 6, 2025 by Mr_Danger Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 Maybe I’m just old and miserable, but the filmed reactions of people screaming and quoting the film at Minecraft screenings annoys me. Is this just an American thing? I absolutely cannot forgive anyone using their phone to film at the cinema. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said: Really what I took from this was that Jared Hess needs to make an 80’s set wrestling movie with Jack Black and Jason Momoa as a tag team working the territories. Nacho Libre II? He's already made one wrestling movie with Jack Black so it could easily work. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said: Maybe I’m just old and miserable, but the filmed reactions of people screaming and quoting the film at Minecraft screenings annoys me. Is this just an American thing? I absolutely cannot forgive anyone using their phone to film at the cinema. There were routine rounds of applause in our screening every time something that I’m guessing is iconic from the game popped up. 1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said: Nacho Libre II? He's already made one wrestling movie with Jack Black so it could easily work. Maybe Nacho can lose his mask so moves to America where Jason Momoa can teach him the ways of big time American wrestling. ( in the film Momoa wears Hitman shades and a tasseled leather jacket so I’m likely giving this idea far more thought than it’s worth) Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 6, 2025 Members Posted April 6, 2025 1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said: Maybe I’m just old and miserable, but the filmed reactions of people screaming and quoting the film at Minecraft screenings annoys me. Is this just an American thing? I absolutely cannot forgive anyone using their phone to film at the cinema. Absolutely zero issue with all this happening in a MINECRAFT screening full of children who just want to have a laugh with their mates. My 12yo was telling me all about it yesterday, she's going with her friends this week and so is my 15yo with hers. Sounds like more of a communal event than a film, which is nice. I hope they all have a nice time. It's not as if they're causing an uproar during Schindlers List is it? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.