Mr_Danger Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: Absolutely zero issue with all this happening in a MINECRAFT screening full of children who just want to have a laugh with their mates. My 12yo was telling me all about it yesterday, she's going with her friends this week and so is my 15yo with hers. Sounds like more of a communal event than a film, which is nice. I hope they all have a nice time. It's not as if they're causing an uproar during Schindlers List is it? Yeah, my idea of hell would be sitting through Mamma Mia whilst everyone sings along but if I was dragged to a screening I’d expect it. Didn’t know this Minecraft reactions was a thing but it’s a film I gave no shits about and the experience wasn't ruined. My Saturday was already a bust by this point. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted April 6, 2025 Awards Moderator Posted April 6, 2025 This afternoon we went to a screening of Charlie Chaplin’s The Gold Rush with a live orchestra, and it was a pretty magical experience. Any time you can get to see a classic from the silent era in that kind of environment, I highly recommend it. The movie’s 100 years old and the jokes still work! It’s… … timeless! The musicians were all brilliant, the conductor had an appreciation for Chaplin’s score and you could tell from the energy he put into it. I loved it. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 2 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Absolutely zero issue with all this happening in a MINECRAFT screening full of children who just want to have a laugh with their mates. Na fuck that. You don’t go to the theatre and expect the audience to get up and start singing and dancing with the actors performing on stage. No filming in the cinema, kids movie or not. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 If you go to see a kids' film during hours when there are going to be kids in then what do you expect. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: Na fuck that. You don’t go to the theatre and expect the audience to get up and start singing and dancing with the actors performing on stage. No filming in the cinema, kids movie or not. Depends on the context. What's the point in cinema if it can't be a communal experience? I prefer people shutting the fuck up during films, but I think it's going to be better for cinema to encourage more relaxed and social screenings. Ideally just also have them advertised as such. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 In my defence, in the videos I’ve seen it’s been mainly adults making all the noise and sticking it all on TikTok. If films are advertised as a sing-along or whatever else, fair enough. And clearly I’m not the audience for Minecraft. But I wouldn’t go to the cinema for a communal event. No talking, no phones, no crunchy food if I had my way. Alas, I am old man shouting at clouds, man who doesn’t like crowds and man who wants to watch a film in peace. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 6, 2025 Members Posted April 6, 2025 26 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said: Alas, I am old man shouting at clouds, man who doesn’t like crowds and man who wants to watch a film in peace. I don't think you'll find any arguments to the contrary here. I suppose my point is more if you've seen this is happening at showings of the Minecraft movie, and you choose to go and see it, during the Easter holidays no less, then expect those reactions to happen. I mean I can't think of anything much worse but then I'm not 12. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 (edited) 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: If you go to see a kids' film during hours when there are going to be kids in then what do you expect. Gasps, cheers and a couple at least that are bored running around at the bottom of the screen. But the line is crossed when you start putting on ring lights to film reactions. That said, the reactions I’ve seen are very reminiscent of my experience of seeing a film in America, especially opening weekend. They clap, cheer and whoop. Edited April 6, 2025 by Hannibal Scorch Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 3 hours ago, SuperBacon said: It's not as if they're causing an uproar during Schindlers List is it? The idea of a quote-along screening of Schindler's List has really tickled me. Genuinely hilarious, if not very dark, idea. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 Guys, I really want to go and watch in silence without distractions so I can carefully appreciate the artistry that's gone into a fucking Minecraft movie. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 Some of the best experiences I've had are going to see films with my kids and listening to some of the reactions and some of the things that kids come out with during them. If you don't want that, go when they're all in bed. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Some of the best experiences I've had are going to see films with my kids and listening to some of the reactions and some of the things that kids come out with during them. If you don't want that, go when they're all in bed. I agree, but to me there’s a distinction between what you’ve described and people filming themselves and acting like a European WWE crowd. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 6, 2025 Members Posted April 6, 2025 22 minutes ago, mim731 said: The idea of a quote-along screening of Schindler's List has really tickled me. Genuinely hilarious, if not very dark, idea. Imagine the whole cinema in unison shouting "Ja, vy is the top down I'm fucking FREEZING" Quote
Sphinx Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 Where do people stand on gigs in cinemas? Me, my mate and his dad went to watch Stop Making Sense in IMAX having already seen it. My mate was disappointed that everyone sat there in silence and expected people to be dancing to it. Apparently in some screenings elsewhere there were people dancing in the aisles. He got hushed at one point which, if the vibe of the place is everyone'd watching in quiet, is fair enough I reckon. I think it's in the spirit of the film to let loose and have fun rather than sit there rigid, but I get that it's also something people might want to take in as film in its own right too. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 35 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Some of the best experiences I've had are going to see films with my kids and listening to some of the reactions and some of the things that kids come out with during them. If you don't want that, go when they're all in bed. I’ll enjoy some absolute shite if I’m watching it with my kids. The amount of crap I’ve grown to like just because they’ve loved them so much. I honestly couldn’t tell you if the Sonic trilogy is genuinely good or good bad. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.