VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

The one thing we were really disappointed by was Ryan Reynolds. He just felt a bit half-arsed. I get the character was meant to be a bit grumpy but it felt a bit phoned in.

Ryan Reynolds has been phoning it in for years. His act is the definition of "same old shit".

• Paid Members

I think the thing that irked me the most 

Spoiler

They made this big thing about not seeing If’s until you’re reminded of them but at the end people just started to see them for no reason. Just felt lazy script writing. And I know it’s supposed to be a kids film (it’s a U), that is no excuse for lazy writing.

You'll Never Find Me
"Patrick, a strange and lonely resident, lives in a mobile home at the back of an isolated trailer park. After a violent storm, a mysterious young woman appears at his door seeking shelter from the elements."
A pretty good, well made mystery-thriller, which is somewhat predictable, but its basic plot in a minimalist setting is quite interesting and it has some good tension throughout. 

The Coffee Table
Hard to say much about the film without spoiling it, but it's a film about a couple who have just become new parents and decide to buy a new coffee table. Then stuff happens and for 90-minutes it's an uncomfortable and tense film to watch. The less you know about the film beforehand the better, but it's ultimately a "What would you do in this situation" discussion film, that would have worked better as a short film or an hour long part of an anthology, rather than a 90-minute film. Not easy to recommend, but it is certainly effective.

Spoiler

There is a sense of foreboding that something bad is going to happen early on in the film, and you can guess what is going to happen, but you don't really expect them to follow through with what you think is going to happen.

Stopmotion
A pretty good psychological horror film about a stop-motion animator who struggles to control her demons when her overbearing mother takes ill. To the point at 90-minutes long, blends fantasy and reality well, has some interesting visuals and a strong lead performance from Aisling Franciosi. 

Dagr
A really basic, slow-paced found footage film that has a good manor house setting, but is not scary enough to be an effective horror film. It has an obvious low budget, a really basic plot and average acting, but it's thankfully really short at only 73-minutes.

Anna and the Apocalypse
A good zombie-comedy-musical that is just a lot of fun. Full of catchy songs and has a likeable cast and likeable characters.

Dear David
A boring, tedious horror film that has no scares or tension, is poorly made and poorly acted, and just has nothing interesting happening in it. From the same director as Anna and the Apocalypse, so I was surprised at just how bad it was.

His House
A decent haunted-house horror film, about a refugee couple who struggle to adjust to their new life in an English town. It has a simple but interesting plot and moves at a steady pace through its 90-minutes runtime.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Ryan Reynolds has been phoning it in for years. His act is the definition of "same old shit".

I’ve been critical of him, and I’m not a fan of his acting on the whole, but I don’t think he’s as bad in that regard as Chris Pratt or The Rock. Even their voice over work is lazy.

• Paid Members

Love Lies Bleeding (cinema)

Excellent. Rose Glass is a huge, huge talent. Splices a bit of body horror into a superb, sexually charged neo-noir, a really exciting follow-up to Saint Maud. Plus Kristen Stewart finally did a really good film.

Down (2001) (ok.ru)

Cannot explain how mad and stupid and ridiculously fun this is. A bizarrely excellent cast (Naomi Watts, Dan Hedaya, Ron Perlman, Michael Ironside) in a story about lifts gone mad, from the Dutch director Dick Maas remaking his own 1980s film De Lift. Naomi Watts did this in the same year as Mulholland Drive. That's range.

The Towering Inferno

Never used to care for these massive cast disaster movies but I was wrong and I've grown up. Some amazing fire stunts and a huge cast, goes on forever but never felt like it.

Dance with a Stranger (Talking Pictures TV)

The story building up to the murder Ruth Ellis committed before she was executed. I liked that it showed the psychological and physical abuse she underwent and is really sympathetic to her story. Great Miranda Richardson performance, really good film.

Rise / Dawn / War of/for the Planet of the Apes

Not seen the new one yet but if it's done anything it's reminded everyone was a great trilogy this was. Caesar is one of the best characters in cinema of the last 20 years. Maurice is the nicest guy in history.

Megamind (Film 4)

Not the underrated animated classic some have proclaimed it as, but it's alright. Will Ferrell annoys me even when I can't see him though.

Arcadian

The newest Nicolas Cage one, you seen this one yet @Bellenda Carlisle? He takes more of a support role in this, a post-apocalyptic horror film. Doesn't really commit to its ideas but the creature design is really good and it's quite solid. Cage's good run continues.

17 hours ago, DJM said:

The Coffee Table

Hard to say much about the film without spoiling it, but it's a film about a couple who have just become new parents and decide to buy a new coffee table. Then stuff happens and for 90-minutes it's an uncomfortable and tense film to watch. The less you know about the film beforehand the better, but it's ultimately a "What would you do in this situation" discussion film, that would have worked better as a short film or an hour long part of an anthology, rather than a 90-minute film. Not easy to recommend, but it is certainly effective.

Hide contents

High chair doesn't fit under it? 

Garfield

As someone who loved Garfield and Friends as a kid, and generally enjoys Garfield in most things, I just didn't get on with this. I found myself quite bored most of the time, didn't really laugh a whole much, and something really felt missing. Not sure what exactly, but I just felt like I wasn't enjoying it and smiling in the way I have before with Garfield and that was a shame.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Not sure what exactly, but I just felt like I wasn't enjoying it and smiling in the way I have before with Garfield and that was a shame.

This makes it sound like you've shagged Garfield at some point in your life.

The Last Stop in Yuma County Had heard a little about this and went to a screening. Brilliant. A Coens/Tarantino love child but with its own vibe and tone. Not sure when it is on VOD over in the UK, but would really seek this out. Jim Cummings is always a really watchable presence.

On 5/22/2024 at 11:55 AM, Factotum said:

The Last Stop in Yuma County Had heard a little about this and went to a screening. Brilliant. A Coens/Tarantino love child but with its own vibe and tone. Not sure when it is on VOD over in the UK, but would really seek this out. Jim Cummings is always a really watchable presence.

Looks good so I'm gonna stick it on the old BootlegFlix as I don't think it's showing anywhere near me. Red Letter Media were quite in to it during their movie round-up, too.

15 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Looks good so I'm gonna stick it on the old BootlegFlix as I don't think it's showing anywhere near me. Red Letter Media were quite in to it during their movie round-up, too.

Yeah it popped on mine. I got to see it through work but I don't think there's a UK date set just yet. I imagine the Prince Charles will show it eventually.

Be interested to hear what you think!

• Paid Members

Amerigeddon

This one got half a star on Letterboxd from me. It's vile.

It has all the failings of every badly made vanity project - the acting is stulted, the plot nonsensical, 90% of the dialogue is exposition, it's impossible to keep track of how all the characters and locations connect to each other, and the guy who wrote and funded it is in one of the main characters. Bonus points for having an old Hollywood face in it - Diane Ladd absolutely slumming it - and a second-generation actor connected, as it's directed by Chuck Norris' son.

But I'll take a Tommy Wiseau or a Neil Breen over this a thousand times. This is the worst kind of right-wing American movie - the plot is that the United Nations are working with the federal government to take over the United States, put people in FEMA camps and take all their guns, while a mysterious European financier that's definitely not George Soros talks about the need to depopulate the earth. One of the main villains is a turncoat US general, and the signal that he's a bad guy is that he's seen talking to Russian and Chinese generals. The Russian general is wearing a Soviet dress uniform, despite this movie being made in, and taking place in, 2016. The United Nations set off an EMP to permanently disable the national grid, in order to institute martial law. In multiple scenes after this fact, there are clearly visible electric lights and other electric devices still working fine. 

One of the characters is a "liberal politician", and his daughter is supposed to be some kind of left-wing student activist, but the people writing it have no idea how left-wing student activists speak or behave, so it always cuts away from her a couple of words into her saying anything political. Her interchangeable friends celebrate that she has written something that will "end the God & Guns culture". 

At one point, a character shouts, "stop, I'm a crisis actor!". The US army are instructed to stage false flag attacks to get the public on-side.

I said that 90% of the dialogue is exposition. The remaining 10% is right-wing writers inventing liberal strawmen characters so they can feel smart about winning arguments with them.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Amerigeddon

This one got half a star on Letterboxd from me. It's vile.

It has all the failings of every badly made vanity project - the acting is stulted, the plot nonsensical, 90% of the dialogue is exposition, it's impossible to keep track of how all the characters and locations connect to each other, and the guy who wrote and funded it is in one of the main characters. Bonus points for having an old Hollywood face in it - Diane Ladd absolutely slumming it - and a second-generation actor connected, as it's directed by Chuck Norris' son.

But I'll take a Tommy Wiseau or a Neil Breen over this a thousand times. This is the worst kind of right-wing American movie - the plot is that the United Nations are working with the federal government to take over the United States, put people in FEMA camps and take all their guns, while a mysterious European financier that's definitely not George Soros talks about the need to depopulate the earth. One of the main villains is a turncoat US general, and the signal that he's a bad guy is that he's seen talking to Russian and Chinese generals. The Russian general is wearing a Soviet dress uniform, despite this movie being made in, and taking place in, 2016. The United Nations set off an EMP to permanently disable the national grid, in order to institute martial law. In multiple scenes after this fact, there are clearly visible electric lights and other electric devices still working fine. 

One of the characters is a "liberal politician", and his daughter is supposed to be some kind of left-wing student activist, but the people writing it have no idea how left-wing student activists speak or behave, so it always cuts away from her a couple of words into her saying anything political. Her interchangeable friends celebrate that she has written something that will "end the God & Guns culture". 

At one point, a character shouts, "stop, I'm a crisis actor!". The US army are instructed to stage false flag attacks to get the public on-side.

I said that 90% of the dialogue is exposition. The remaining 10% is right-wing writers inventing liberal strawmen characters so they can feel smart about winning arguments with them.

I just looked the movie up and I love the tag line:

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEhCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAx

"They". Probably the same people who told Lee Anderson that his fry up was racist.

I also see that Alex Jones plays a senator in it. It doesn't even look like it would be a fun watch in an ironic way.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Yeah it popped on mine. I got to see it through work but I don't think there's a UK date set just yet. I imagine the Prince Charles will show it eventually.

Be interested to hear what you think!

It was great fun, you can obviously tell where it got all it's inspiration from and the lad has just been watching The Hateful Eight seconds before beginning writing.

Really enjoyed how it took that very sudden farcical direction!

There seems to be a great bunch of semi-indie edgier films coming out recently, and even films like Love Lies Bleeding getting a major release is a great sign that truly cool cinema is still alive.