VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Excellent writeup @FelatioLipsthough your order is wack, man.

If you're so inclined the making of the Hobbit on the boxset is surprisingly honest, with Jackson visibly frustrated throughout (and eventually having a heart attack and losing 6 stone) , McKellen close to a breakdown and showing Desolation music cues being edited mere hours before the premiere. The whole production was a total nightmare and while nowhere near perfect it's amazing they are vaguely coherent at all. 

Worth watching for the origin of the phrase "jam bags" alone. 

I watched them in release order though admittedly should have done them chronologically. I watched Return of The King at the right point but as Bacon noted I forgot to do my write up. I didn't watch it last like a nutter.

The making of sounds brutal.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah Rings of Power is not good. I watched all of it just in case. There's good characters and fun scenes but the overarching plot (no spoilers) is poor and has the distinct sense of being written week to week. What will not stand up to rewatches is the 'guess who the baddy is' strand. Yeah. 

I thought it picked up in the last few episodes but I’m not counting the days for its return and for all the money they threw at it they could have cast some better actors. Cast wise it feels more BBC fantasy than HBO fantasy. Suppose Jeff Bezos has to do something with that money he doesn’t use for taxes.

Leave The World Behind (Netflix)

I don't watch many films these days just because my attention span is horrific but I'd seen some buzz around this so thought I'd jump on it before I had any of it spoiled.

As someone who loved Mr Robot it's not surprising I really enjoyed the style and overall tension and presentation of this. Although as an incredibly anxious person I'm not sure it's something I should be watching.

In general I liked the ideas and thought the performances were solid all round.

Definitely a marmite film and I imagine one that a lot of people will finish and be annoyed by. But it worked for me. Not one I'll be revisiting but I thought it delivered on what it wanted to do.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Leave The World Behind (Netflix)

I don't watch many films these days just because my attention span is horrific but I'd seen some buzz around this so thought I'd jump on it before I had any of it spoiled.

As someone who loved Mr Robot it's not surprising I really enjoyed the style and overall tension and presentation of this. Although as an incredibly anxious person I'm not sure it's something I should be watching.

In general I liked the ideas and thought the performances were solid all round.

Definitely a marmite film and I imagine one that a lot of people will finish and be annoyed by. But it worked for me. Not one I'll be revisiting but I thought it delivered on what it wanted to do.

My favourite part was when Kevin Bacon said that America had made a lot of enemies around the world.

Presented without comment - this film was executive produced by Michelle and Barack Obama.

• Paid Members

Killers of the flower moon

I saw this at the cinema which I feel the need to point out as it's out to pirate now and i think watching a film that long at home is a different experience.

It was pretty good. As far as too long films go it was no Zack Snyder's Justice League innit.

I do judge these Oscar type "good films that are made by real masters who make art, not garbage" quite harshly, especially when they are not anything amazing really. I did think it was interesting, high quality, and the casting was great, even the less Important characters really looked and acted the part. I'm glad I saw it but it will be nowhere near my top films of the year or anything.

The next part is mid level spoilers, I've seen worse spoilers in professional reviews but spoilered for people who want to go in totally fresh.

Spoiler

I know it's not the fault of the film as it's based on a true story but the main characters aren't particularly appealing to watch, Leo being a thicko with alignment to both the heels and faces and mollie being really ill for most of the film. I also think a 4 hour long film should probably actually show you the ending, not move slowly for over 3 hours then at the end just use a bizarre device to just tell you everything that happened. Although i enjoyed the unexpected Jack White. 

• Paid Members

Wonka was perfectly good. Timothée is probably the worst thing in it. Obviously talented but found his Wonka to be pretty bland. Rest of the cast are fantastic and some of the sets are beautiful. But it’s no Paddington 2. The songs by Neil Hanson of Divine Comedy are fairly good. It’s enjoyable, if slightly too long but a good family watch this Christmas.

Agree that Chalamet is the weakest link in the film. That character needs someone with madcap energy to make it work properly, and he doesn’t have it. Overall though, a decent one to watch if you’ve got 6-12 year olds that want to see a film, or if a musical, family kind of film is your bag. 

Two more Christmas films watched on the weekend:

The Holdovers was really, really good. Paul Giamatti was outstanding, and Im sure there will be plenty of award nominations for him after this, and well deserved. The only other two main people in it more than hold their own too. Great story, and visually great too. Definately worth a watch, as its not really a proper Christmas film.

Genie was much more your standard Christmas movie. Melissa McCarthy and Paapa Essiedu are completley fine in it. Pretty good concept for a Christmas film, apart from the fact that it didnt even have a full on Christmas Day scene, which seemed odd. You think that would have been the first scene written when doing a film like this, and then everything else is written around it. Not as good as Candy Cane Lane, so watch that if you dont have time for both.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Okay. I'm all aboard with The Curse. Admittedly I've only seen the first episode but I felt so fucking dirty and confused and awkward after it and I've never felt like that. It's absolutely fascinating.

Off to the TV thread with ye