VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I saw Aftersun last week and it's the best film of the year, for me. Also probably one of the best directorial debuts of all time. I loved it but it's very sad and you will cry. I didn't but I was broken a long time ago.

Also saw Violent Night yesterday. About as enjoyable as expected with a great Home Alone homage part and David Harbour and John Leguizamo are superb.

Question about Aftersun. How affecting is it for say somebody who still occasionally messages his ex wife to check the kids aren’t going to die in a house fire after watching Manchester by the Sea at the cinemas? I was going to watch it last weekend but I had all the girls over and I didn’t fancy waking them up by sobbing over their sleeping bodies if it’s that kind of sad.

55 minutes ago, air_raid said:

^^^^^ @Mr_Danger

I’d give it a miss.

Regular sadness I can deal with as I too am broken it’s the lingering anxiety inducing kind of sadness I tend to avoid specifically around kids. Although Paul Mescal’s portrayal of a young man with crippling anxiety in Normal People was a bit too real for me as well so maybe you’re right.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Regular sadness I can deal with as I too am broken it’s the lingering anxiety inducing kind of sadness I tend to avoid specifically around kids. Although Paul Mescal’s portrayal of a young man with crippling anxiety in Normal People was a bit too real for me as well so maybe you’re right.

Without spoiling it, the issues of mental health in this are not directed at the girl in this, more centred around Mescal. So you should be alright!

AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER Cameron really seems to be the only Director who can ever actually do 3D (probably the only one who cares really) Visually stunning and more 'interesting' than the first, but its still a slog. Weirdly I would say don't wait for this one at home as it'll fucking suck at home. So if you're in ANY way interested, go see it in a cinema. 

THE MENU Great fun. Was brilliantly nasty and I loved it.

3 hours ago, Factotum said:

AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER Cameron really seems to be the only Director who can ever actually do 3D (probably the only one who cares really) Visually stunning and more 'interesting' than the first, but its still a slog. Weirdly I would say don't wait for this one at home as it'll fucking suck at home. So if you're in ANY way interested, go see it in a cinema. 

There's only two movies I've ever seen that I felt were enhanced experienced in 3D - the first Avatar and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Obviously the latter was a great film in its own right but I really loved the 3D for it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

There's only two movies I've ever seen that I felt were enhanced experienced in 3D - the first Avatar and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Obviously the latter was a great film in its own right but I really loved the 3D for it.

You obviously didn't see Drive Angry 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I haven’t seen 5 yet but from what I gather I can be confident in it’s placement here, but having recently watched Die Hard 1-4 my code is 14325.

Absolutely bang on this. Obviously the first is a stone-cold classic. 4 is underrated, I really like it but it gets shat on a lot. 3 is fine, 2 is boring as fuck and 5 is disgraceful.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

4 starts off weak with the 2000s Cyberterrorism stuff but the second McClane starts throwing guys down stairs and driving cars into helicopters it’s none-stop action to the end. The big set peices reminded me a lot of Terminator 2 in all the right ways.

1 has the best version of McClane, best villains, best setting and best worst american accent.

3 is strong and has the best sidekick, some solid pacing and action. Great setting too.

2 is pretty rubbish. They kill 200 people like it’s nothing early in the film and it’s so jarring. The continuation from 1 is fun on Holly’s plane though.

Edited by FelatioLips

3 is my favourite but I have a massive soft spot for 2. I think as we had a version taped off the telly with the bloody ITV news at 10 cutting it in half and as we didn't have a lot of tapes, I absolutely rinsed it as a kid.

4 I saw in Aberdeen or Dundee (genuinely forget which) as me and my old man had walked Nevis so we watched it as we stayed over for a night. The sound was dreadful and there were no adverts (sorry, nay adverts) which massively annoyed me.

• Paid Members

4 fell into a thing I personally hate in doing big cgi action bits because they could but not thinking them through enough to make it feel right. It was all the rage at the time, but just killed a few films for me.