VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Saw Shiva Baby once described as the first ever psychological comedy, which fits it perfectly. Superb film, couldn't watch it again because of anxiety.

Sing 2 (cinema)

A slight improvement on the first one but, well, that means practically nothing, doesn't it.

The Requin

Terrible news for @Frankie Crisp as the latest shark film turns out to be worse than you could possibly imagine. If you're wondering what happened to Alicia Silverstone, apparently she's been off taking de-acting lessons.

The Man Who Haunted Himself (Talking Pictures TV)

"lol Roger Moore couldn't act lol" wankers - take a look at this. Really good thriller from just before he took on Bond, the great Basil Dearden's last film. Doesn't stick the ending but a really nice idea well done.

A Bridge Too Far 

Dickie Attenborough's war epic about Operation Market Garden with an enthrallingly massive cast. Absolutely chaotic and overwhelming in all the best ways.

The Horse Soldiers (ITV4)

Familiar John Ford American civil war western which amused me in that it had John Wayne fighting for the Union. Yeah right. Mostly as excellent as you'd expect from Ford and Wayne together.

Live Free or Die Hard (Film4)

Never bothered with this as I assumed it to be terrible. It probably is but the action is fantastic, especially the dark tunnel scene. Totally wastes Timothy Olyphant though and I never want to see Justin Long in another film.

A Good Day to Die Hard (Film4)

Absolutely as terrible as has been reported everywhere. Mary Elizabeth Winstead must have been thrilled she mostly got cut from this.

Wagon Master (BBC iPlayer)

This is on iPlayer right nowt but regularly appears on Great! Movies as well. Another outstanding John Ford western, and one of his where he's in a mood against violence. 

The Alpinist - Every bit as good as everyone says. Wish I could've seen it at the cinema because it would've looked absolutely stunning on the big screen. Really emotional in places and intriguing to understand motivations etc. Edge of your seat stuff.

Hawking: Can You Hear Me? - I've learnt a lot about him over the years but there's something different about hearing it all from those close to him. His family, carers, peers etc. An absolutely fascinating story on paper and hits a lot harder from those involved.

Suicide Squad - The newer one. It was alright. Wasn't as good as I was hoping really and not one I'll return to.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Requin

Terrible news for @Frankie Crisp as the latest shark film turns out to be worse than you could possibly imagine. If you're wondering what happened to Alicia Silverstone, apparently she's been off taking de-acting lessons.

Just watched it. Fucking hell. I’m not even sure it should be classed as a shark film, to be honest. Absolute garbage.

I’m going to watch Deep Blue Sea later to reinvigorate my love for the finned lads.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Just watched it. Fucking hell. I’m not even sure it should be classed as a shark film, to be honest. Absolute garbage.

I’m going to watch Deep Blue Sea later to reinvigorate my love for the finned lads.

Spoiler

Admit it, you loved the bit where they set the fire.

Whilst we're on the subject of shark films, can I have some recommendations for fun ones that aren't Deep Blue Sea or The Shallows please. I'm going on the shark dive I got for Christmas this weekend and then next weekend I'm going to see The Shark Is Broken in London for my birthday so I'm on a shark kick and want to watch films where people get eaten before I go in a tank with a bunch of the fuckers.

I watched Jaws for the umpteenth time the other day, a film which I've spoken at length about my love of on here before so no point repeating myself now other than to say it's still a masterpiece and watching Hooper and Quint bonding during the drinking scene on the Orca still warms my heart. 

Jaws 2 is on my watch list for today, a film I've probably seen as many times as the original because it was the one I had on VHS as a kid. It's a really fun sequel which gets unfairly dragged down with Revenge and 3D as folk assume all the sequels were utter garbage. It also has one of the best posters and most iconic strap-lines ever.

9 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Whilst we're on the subject of shark films, can I have some recommendations for fun ones that aren't Deep Blue Sea or The Shallows please. I'm going on the shark dive I got for Christmas this weekend and then next weekend I'm going to see The Shark Is Broken in London for my birthday so I'm on a shark kick and want to watch films where people get eaten before I go in a tank with a bunch of the fuckers.

I watched Jaws for the umpteenth time the other day, a film which I've spoken at length about my love of on here before so no point repeating myself now other than to say it's still a masterpiece and watching Hooper and Quint bonding during the drinking scene on the Orca still warms my heart. 

Jaws 2 is on my watch list for today, a film I've probably seen as many times as the original because it was the one I had on VHS as a kid. It's a really fun sequel which gets unfairly dragged down with Revenge and 3D as folk assume all the sequels were utter garbage. It also has one of the best posters and most iconic strap-lines ever.

Although it had some shit reviews, I thought The Meg was ok.

• Awards Moderator

It is absolute dogshit but Shark Attack 3 is a vehicle for John Barrowman and is utterly hilarious. Includes this line which was improvised by Canada's Greatest Showman (tm) and he believed was not on mic: SOUND IS ABSOLUTELY NSFW I FEEL I SHOULD ADD BEFORE SOMEONE GETS IN TROUBLE

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Whilst we're on the subject of shark films, can I have some recommendations for fun ones that aren't Deep Blue Sea or The Shallows please.

The Meg is great. Bait (the 2012 one) is also good fun. These two, Deep Blue Sea and Jaws 1 and 2 are the only good shark films.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Am I missing something in that shared tweet or does it just repeat that you watched it? 

Sorry, that was unclear. I live-tweeted it, so it's a thread with plenty of detail, clips, pictures, etc. It's zero budget and astonishingly inept, to the point of barely being entertaining. It's vaguely scripted at best, and includes loads of stuff that's literally just there to take up time. My favourite detail is a priest doing research into the shark, and he clearly provided his own books - the stack of books next to him includes titles like 'Respect for Acting'.

• Paid Members

Few recent releases I've caught up with:

I can't usually be arsed with Benedict Cumberbatch tortured genuis films but I did quite enjoy The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain. It's more subversive than most by-the-numbers biopics and Claire Foy is as good as always. The most impressive thing about Boiling Point is just how often I completely forgot about the one-take gimmick because I was so gripped by the interweaving threads. Tense, gripping with some cracking performances. Can see me rewatching this a fair few times this year.

I'm not a big Shakespeare stan so I'm probably not the ideal person to give an opinion on The Tragedy Of Macbeth. I thought it was as boring as most Shakespeare adaptations are and it's a massive shame Joel Coen arsed about with this instead of making another proper Coens film. Mass was heart-wrenching and uncomfortable but worth watching for the 4 performances. Not a weak link amongst them. I was exhausted by the end of this in the best way.

The 355 was better than I was expecting. By the numbers plot but decent enough action. Wouldn't mind a sequel to this. Brunette Diane Kruger probably the highlight.

I've also been going through PTA's filmography before I watch Licorice Pizza. Magnolia's alright, isn't it?

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm not a big Shakespeare stan so I'm probably not the ideal person to give an opinion on The Tragedy Of Macbeth. I thought it was as boring as most Shakespeare adaptations are and it's a massive shame Joel Coen arsed about with this instead of making another proper Coens film.

Ah, I love my Shakespeare and I thought this was brilliant when we watched it last night. Beautiful to look at, did some really interesting things with the play, and Denzel and Frances McDormand were both fantastic. But I was maybe predisposed to love it so am probably not the ideal person to give an opinion either!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Denzel and Frances McDormand were both fantastic.

I will agree with this, McDormand in particular. I just can't get on with Shakespeare, being the uncultured swine I am.

I'd love to see those pair opposite each other in a proper Coens film.