VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

In honour of Arnold Schwarzenegger crashing his car the other day I watched Red Heat (Netflix). One of the only films from his classic 80s period that somehow I'd never seen (the other is Red Sonja, got something against films with Red in the title obviously). Arnie's pretty great in this with his dodgy Russian accent ("Cocayynum!") and Gina Gershon is really good. In fact most of the other cast are great, except that is for Jim Belushi, who's tiresome throughout and drags the film down a couple of notches. Peter Boyle's in it and really makes you wish he'd been playing Belushi's role. Pretty good fun overall though.  

Edited by gmoney

Imperium. 

Daniel Radcliffe plays a nerdy FBI pen pusher who goes undercover to infiltrate a white supremacy group who are suspected of planning a dirty bomb. Radcliffe is really good and believable in the role and makes this very watchable. The scenes with him and Toni Collette are the best bits. 

• Paid Members

King Kong (1976) - Never seen it before. I thought it was good, some of the effects with Kong were great, as you'd expect with Rick Baker. But anything with a green screen was just ok at best, awful at worst.

Jeff Bridges was great as the hero, Charles Grodin had a great tash and cravet combo. Jessica Lang was stunning, and did a good job I thought for her first movie, but Dwan was an awful character. Almost no-one other then Jack and the big man had any redeeming qualities. 

Still, was an hour less then Peter Jackson's and no ice skating. Worth a watch if you like Kong films. Not as good as the 33 or Skull Island for me, but not bad.

Boss Level- Amazon Prime

Neat Groundhogday/Edge of Tomorrow  style actioner but with added Crank style computer game madness. 

Mel Gibson plays up to his past and it's acknowledged that he's a douche for it. 

Frank Girillio isnt bad in it either, he's awful in Jiu Jitsu with Nick Cage. 

Enjoyable, not too long and not too much of a sacchrin mess either. Plenty of retrogaming references as well. 

Out of the Furnace

A different kind of revenge film with a pace that’s all over the show. Decent enough and it’s from the period where Christian Bale was trying to get an Oscar with every role so he’s good in it. Don’t like seeing Woody play a wrong’un but he does it well.

End of Watch

David Ayer is a mostly shit director but this is probably his best effort at not being shit that I’ve seen. The documentary style is at odd’s with the Hollywood style story and you’re very aware the actors are trying to act natural which comes across as totally unnatural but I did enjoy it quite a bit. The ending was so tense I almost wish it was the premise of the entire film. 

Spoiler

Think Sicario meets Assault on Precinct 13 set in L.A 

But not directed by David Ayer obviously.

• Paid Members

Shiva Baby (MUBI) A quasi horror/drama which captivated me for the duration of its delicious 77 minute run time. A cracking debut for a 26 year old and left me wanting more. Cracking cast, really tense. Recommended.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Shiva Baby (MUBI) A quasi horror/drama which captivated me for the duration of its delicious 77 minute run time. A cracking debut for a 26 year old and left me wanting more. Cracking cast, really tense. Recommended.

Interesting interpretation. I saw it as a comedy/drama. Either way it's excellent.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, DEF said:

Interesting interpretation. I saw it as a comedy/drama. Either way it's excellent.

It is so interestingly shot. Feels very claustrophobic. And the score adds to the tension and, for me, a fear of dread. But yes, I think it is defiantly a comedy drama at it's heart, I just feel its more then that. An unexpected gem that I'd only heard of as Scroobius Pip spoke highly of it in his end of the year review. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It is so interestingly shot. Feels very claustrophobic. And the score adds to the tension and, for me, a fear of dread. But yes, I think it is defiantly a comedy drama at it's heart, I just feel its more then that. An unexpected gem that I'd only heard of as Scroobius Pip spoke highly of it in his end of the year review. 

It is unbearably tense at times. I keep meaning to show it to my wife as I know it will make her freak.