VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

The Banshees of Inisherin  felt like it was in the running to be a great film for about the first 40 minutes, and then really went off the rails for me.  No spoilers but you’ll know what bit I mean if you see it.

A fantastic cast, great acting, beautifully shot and a wonderful premise that deserved a much more thoughtful treatment.  I’m honestly not sure I’d  recommend it unless you really enjoy relentlessly depressing and nihilistic films (and there’s definitely a market for that!)

Edited by Loki

• Awards Moderator

Roald Dahl's Tim Minchin's Danny DeVito's Quentin Blake's Quentin Crisp's Matilda: The Movie Musical Film 4DeGeneration X Cinema Experience is the first thing I've seen this year and if I see anything as joyous, heartwarming and fun in 2023 then I'll have had a good year for films. Just lovely. (It's a musical by the way, miserywhores).

• Paid Members

The Beast of Inisherin (Disney+) Fucking Disney and their obsession with focusing on on big budget superhero films ruining cinema blah blah blah

Anyway, it’s a beautiful looking film, fantastic performances all round. The costuming is fantastic, it really stood out there. But I was left completely dissatisfied by the end. It felt like it was building up and then it was done. I much preferred Three Billboards as a film. It really feels like a missed opportunity. I hope it gets some recognition for the acting and costumes but it’s not a film I’m going to rush back and rewatch. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Beast of Inisherin (Disney+) Fucking Disney and their obsession with focusing on on big budget superhero films ruining cinema blah blah blah

Reminder that The Banshees of Inisherin was only afforded a limited theatrical release in the United States, seriously impacting its box office reach. One of the most acclaimed films of the year, it has grossed under $20 million worldwide. Martin McDonagh's previous film grossed over $150 million worldwide.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Reminder that The Banshees of Inisherin was only afforded a limited theatrical release in the United States, seriously impacting its box office reach. One of the most acclaimed films of the year, it has grossed under $20 million worldwide. Martin McDonagh's previous film grossed over $150 million worldwide.

Everyone deserves to see Barry Keoghan talking about his stick. I loved it.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Watched Glass Onion tonight. Lovely way to round out the Christmas holiday! Every character is played perfectly; excellent casting. Have they announced a third yet? 

The deal Netflix signed covered two films so there will definitely be a third.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Watched Glass Onion tonight. Lovely way to round out the Christmas holiday! Every character is played perfectly; excellent casting. Have they announced a third yet? 

Rian Johnson is also doing a mystery series starring Natasha Lyonne that looks like it could be a lot of fun

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So was The Fablemans. Coda, Belfast  countless other best picture nominated films throughout history. 

Still, it faced stiff competition from Black Adam so you can blame Dwayne. Or you could see the per screen average breakdown from limited to expanded release for both this and 3 Billboards and question why.BA8F63A2-56D8-47FB-BB58-AA5457FC63F2.thumb.jpeg.cb6e9d83d7d4c2b05f7a8853fadbd064.jpeg

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Launched this year. We've had some in person meet ups and the end of year awards so far. Over 50 critics voted for the list. 

How many of the 50 are female, non-binary and trans, out of interest? How many of them are non-white?

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So was The Fablemans. Coda, Belfast  countless other best picture nominated films throughout history. 

Still, it faced stiff competition from Black Adam so you can blame Dwayne. Or you could see the pet screen average breakdown from limited to expanded release for both this and 3 Billboards and question why.BA8F63A2-56D8-47FB-BB58-AA5457FC63F2.thumb.jpeg.cb6e9d83d7d4c2b05f7a8853fadbd064.jpeg

lol ok a few wrongs (from the last two years, good historical spread of examples you provided there Soapy) make a right, sure.

As for the box office, Three Billboards was heavily trailed across the world before it was released. Still, maybe it'll make up that $140 million when it gets its Oscar noms.

Then again, maybe I'm just being mean to the poor multi-billion dollar media corporation that is swallowing up the film industry as we know it while people like you are happy to defend it and let it. Fight the good fight, man! ✊

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

lol ok a few wrongs (from the last two years, good historical spread of examples you provided there Soapy) make a right, sure.

✊

Does it hurt to try and be so smug when retorting? I went for the last 2 years because the start of the pandemic onwards has been the big boom in streaming services from HBO, Disney, Paramount, Apple etc which, in conjunction with the pandemic has changed cinema audiences. But you know this Steve, so you’re only dumbing down because you know most art house or independent films get a small release, opening wider each weekend. That expansion is based on performance and I even gave you the figures, in the US of what film did during their wider expansion. You can see the difference and also why the appeal of 2 men having a bicker on a remote island in the early 20th century was probably less appealing than a crime drama set in modern times. Oh and streaming rights to Fox films is an HBO Max legacy deal, they were the first ones to show it and they released it early.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

As for the box office, Three Billboards was heavily trailed across the world before it was released. Still, maybe it'll make up that $140 million when it gets its Oscar noms.

Then again, maybe I'm just being mean to the poor multi-billion dollar media corporation that is swallowing up the film industry as we know it while people like you are happy to defend it and let it. Fight the good fight, man! ✊

Was it? One look here tells you they held of releasing it until award nomination season (like they did with The Shape of Water that year) a common tactic that studios deploy each year (why is The Fablemans out at the end of January here? It’s already on VOD in the states. Oh, right). So this wasn’t a defence of BIG STUDIO, but using facts and figures I demonstrated people weren’t turning out to see Banshee and you’ve not explained why? Reviews were good. But people weren’t going to see it. Why? My local showed it for a week in a few regular screens, then week 2, bumped to the 20 seaters. That was because it wasn’t selling tickets.

Never change 🫡 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Does it hurt to try and be so smug when retorting?

11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Go on, you have the last word now, I know you like that. See if you can avoid using real names when doing so, you daft cunt.

I watched My Old School on the iPlayer yesterday. It is the documentary detailing the story of "Brandon Lee", a 32 year old man who nefariously decided to go back to his old high school as a pupil to pursue a medical degree. The story is legend in Glasgow and it is one of those that everyone up here as a connection to: someone knew him; someone spoke to him; someone's cousin's girlfriend went out with him etc. What I wasn't aware of is how sinister and unsettling the story is as it is always cast as "WHAT ABOUT THAT CUNT THAT WENT BACK TAE SCHOOL EH?!" in comical tones. It's a very stylish and intriguing documentary and has provoked a bit of afterthought. Also - if anyone has ever been to Bearsden (the suburb of Glasgow where this happened), the talking heads in this documentary will make COMPLETE sense as soon as you watch it!