#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not overly happy with that statue being torn down and thrown in a river, I'm not a big one for destroying our history rather than leaning from it.

I imagine far more people have learned about Colston from the statue being pulled down than knew a single thing about him when they woke up this morning, in spite of the 125 years it's stood there gathering pigeon shit.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Looking forward to you actually giving reasons why it's laughable.

Is your definition of "spot on" based on awareness or unawareness of the 1500 people who've died in police custody in this country in the last 30 years? Because whichever way you answer, you're extremely ignorant of your work force's own behaviour. And I find that extremely concerning.

Again, I don't know how I would feel if I was Black and had to walk past a literal representation of slavery every day.

No one is trying to "erase history", that's such a fucking pathetic cop out. In fact if anything people are trying to do the opposite. 

If you can't learn about something without there being a statue of it, then you'd have to be pretty thick.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I imagine far more people have learned about Colston from the statue being pulled down than knew a single thing about him when they woke up this morning, in spite of the 125 years it's stood there gathering pigeon shit.

Granted, but then I didn't condone leaving it there did I. I'd rather take it down but keep it, acknowledge it and make sure each generation can learn something constructive rather than just look to erase our part in the world's situation. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Is your definition of "spot on" based on awareness or unawareness of the 1500 people who've died in police custody in this country in the last 30 years? Because whichever way you answer, you're extremely ignorant of your work force's own behaviour. And I find that extremely concerning.

What they all die of? Like actual reasons for death?

Just now, Tommy! said:

Granted, but then I didn't condone leaving it there did I. I'd rather take it down but keep it, acknowledge it and make sure each generation can learn something constructive rather than just look to erase our part in the world's situation. 

Taking the statue down doesn't erase our part though, does it. There are no statues of Hitler but we all know who he is. History books still exist. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not overly happy with that statue being torn down and thrown in a river, I'm not a big one for destroying our history rather than leaning from it. We had a work call the other day where talk moved to the situation in the US and someone said "I guess we are lucky we don't have a history of slavery and racial inequality". That's part of our issue, and they were amazed to learn we were an integral part in the global slave trade shipping people from one of our colonies to another for profit. To make it worse he's of Indian descent. 

I'd rather see people understand and acknowledge more on our part in the world as a colonial power than just destroying a statue. Don't erase that history, take it down and move it to a museum where context can be given and we can acknowledge what people did, even what we now regret, in an educational capacity. 

Well the problem was it wasn't taken down and moved to a museum. So people took it into their own hands and disposed of it their own way.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

What they all die of? Like actual reasons for death?

Are you in training to be the Comical Ali of the UK police force or something?

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Statues are for celebrating people.

If that statue should have been allowed to stay up, you might as well erect a statue of Osama Bin Ladan at Ground Zero while you're at it because history.

And the fact that at one time a slave trader was celebrated in British culture is not something we should forget. Take it down by all means but don't chuck it in the river and destroy the hard proof that that's what we were so little time ago. 

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Well the problem was it wasn't taken down and moved to a museum. So people took it into their own hands and disposed of it their own way.

16 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Taking the statue down doesn't erase our part though, does it. There are no statues of Hitler but we all know who he is. History books still exist. 

There are countless statues and memorials to the suffering under the third reich, some of which were fought for for years against German resistance because they didn't want to face up to it. Everything with nazi iconography was destroyed after 45 and Jewish families in some states had to fight for generations to get a memorial to even publicly acknowledge those lost because people wanted to try and forget it happened rather than admit the history. 

I'd be all for this being replaced with something similar for the lives lost and suffering in slavery. 

Again, taking it down I'm all for but not destroying it. For better or worse it was made and that says more, and in a more stark way, than any book. 

The quotes all fucked, but that's the sad thing Chest. It saddens me that it's had to be that way rather than sensible and decent action being taken years ago. 

Edited by Tommy!