#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Are you in training to be the Comical Ali of the UK police force or something?

Just want an actual breakdown of types of death in Police Custody.

That's what the inquest was exactly about right!?

You've quoted it, you should know more than just a headline if you're going to throw figures like that about.

24 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Whilst I applaud the protests, does anyone else feel uneasy about the timing of it due to Covid-19? Should making a political statement take precedence over public safety in the midst of a pandemic? 

Everyone’s lost interest in Covid-19 and been looking for reasons to get out the house and into a crowd for weeks. 

11 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

And the fact that at one time a slave trader was celebrated in British culture is not something we should forget. Take it down by all means but don't chuck it in the river and destroy the hard proof that that's what we were so little time ago. 

There are countless statues and memorials to the suffering under the third reich, some of which were fought for for years against German resistance because they didn't want to face up to it. Everything with nazi iconography was destroyed after 45 and Jewish families in some states had to fight for generations to get a memorial to even publicly acknowledge those lost because people wanted to try and forget it happened rather than admit the history. 

I'd be all for this being replaced with something similar for the lives lost and suffering in slavery. 

Again, taking it down I'm all for but not destroying it. For better or worse it was made and that says more, and in a more stark way, than any book. 

Destroying it doesn't destroy the facts. They're still there. It gets rid of slap in the face to every person of colour who has to see it day in day out.

As I said before, statues are for celebrating people. You don't celebrate cunts like that. It should have been torn down and at least replaced with a memorial to the people he kidnapped and enslaved or something decades ago.

Should the statue of Jimmy Saville that was in Glasgow have not been destroyed either?

14 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

And the fact that at one time a slave trader was celebrated in British culture is not something we should forget. Take it down by all means but don't chuck it in the river and destroy the hard proof that that's what we were so little time ago. 

The statue isn't the only thing that mentions Edward Colston in Bristol. There's the aforementioned Colston Hall and the statue was on Colston Avenue. I could definitely see the statue being fished out of the river and stored somewhere..It is something that Bristol is slowly getting rid of, because Colston school and a pub called the Colston both got renamed.

The Macpherson Report said ‘There is a reluctance to accept that it is there, which means that it will probably never be cured’ concerning racism in the police.  Twenty years later and it seems fuck all has changed.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

It saddens me that it's had to be that way rather than sensible and decent action being taken years ago. 

Which is pretty much the essence of the protests going on right now.