#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Thankfully in the UK we have it pretty much spot on however.

I mean, I know you're a cop and all and maybe I'm just that naive but I *really* wasn't expecting that reply. Amazing.

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just saw someone say in regards to the statue: "Well, I guess we should destroy all books that mention slavery then!!!!"

Well no, as it's pretty easy to avoid books and it would be a conscious decision to pick one up and read it. Can't be very nice for Black people to have to walk past a statue like that every day.

Pull them all down. 

There's been a petition to rename Colston Hall, which is a big music venue for a long time. There have been artists who have refused to play the venue, most notably Massive Attack and Tricky.

• Awards Moderator
42 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Thankfully in the UK we have it pretty much spot on however.

I mean we could collectively give examples as to why that’s nonsense, but it would just read like a modern version of We Didn’t Start the Fire.

Astounding comment.

1 minute ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I mean we could collectively give examples as to why that’s nonsense, but it would just read like a modern version of We Didn’t Start the Fire.

Astounding comment.

Fascinating isn't it? Even the police officers that I know, of which there aren't many granted, admit that there are massive issues in the police force, in every facet and there have been for years.

Looking forward to the doubling down and the explanation.

Shit I live in North Wales, have never been arrested nor been in a police station and even I’ve witnessed police wankery. If the comment is just to get a rise out of the po po hating people on here then it’s pretty low given the current state of things. If it’s genuine, well, fucking hell.

• Paid Members

I'm not overly happy with that statue being torn down and thrown in a river, I'm not a big one for destroying our history rather than leaning from it. We had a work call the other day where talk moved to the situation in the US and someone said "I guess we are lucky we don't have a history of slavery and racial inequality". That's part of our issue, and they were amazed to learn we were an integral part in the global slave trade shipping people from one of our colonies to another for profit. To make it worse he's of Indian descent. 

I'd rather see people understand and acknowledge more on our part in the world as a colonial power than just destroying a statue. Don't erase that history, take it down and move it to a museum where context can be given and we can acknowledge what people did, even what we now regret, in an educational capacity. 

I remember going to a Dutch WW2 museum and it was brutally honest on its part in both resistance and collaboration. They had a section on the end about being forced to give the east indies back by the British and in short said it was the right thing to do, but at the time they argued against it because they didn't see that then. I'd love to see that sort of open representation on our history. 

If we don't accept our part in the problems how can we competently contribute to solutions?