(Not quite) Dream Matches (that could have actually happened)

GeronimoJacksBeard

Was going to stick this in random thoughts, then thought could be worth a little thread while we're on lockdown. Not quite dream matches - matches you'd like to have seen happen between talent outside of your usual dream match discussion of your Austin vs Goldberg, Undertaker vs Sting, HBK vs The Rock, etc.  Matches involving perhaps some more upper mid-card talent. Unconventional dream matches, if you like. But also, matches that could have realistically happened at some point.

For me:

Kurt Angle vs Mr. Perfect. For probably WrestleMania X8. Perfect returned at the Rumble, looking tremendous, having a great little run being in the last 3 i think. He had a little couple of minutes here with Angle where he got all his signature shit in. They just looked like they'd have gelled really well together. Perfect didn't do a whole lot else in that run and Angle went on to face Kane at WrestleMania in a pointless match thrown together at the last minute. Kurt doing an "i do perfect better than Mr.Perfect" type deal in the run up and recreating his famous vignette could have been fun.

And Rey Mysterio vs Umaga. I think it would have been around 2008, but certainly late 2000s. There was an angle where Rey was injured, returned on a Smackdown for an announcement and Umaga at the point he was acting as Vinces goon i believe, comes out and smashes Rey about. And then they were on opposing sides of the following Survivor Series, which i thought at the time would lead to a tease of a match between the two. Only they never even touched. Umaga got disqualified early on. So nothing ever came of it. Would have loved to see Umaga throwing Rey about. Think they'd have worked awesome together. For me Umaga was at his best against smaller guys he could just launch all over the shop. Much of his offence worked great cutting off big fiery comebacks and hope spots on smaller guys. He and Jeff Hardy were wonderful together. And there's few better who do the underdog taking on a much bigger guy than Rey for my money. Believe they were good mates behind the scenes too which can often contribute to working well together. Convinced it would have been magic, shame that it never happened.

Good choices! I've seen Angle vs. Perfect thrown around a lot over the years, and for good reason.

Mysterio vs. Umaga is an outside the box choice, and I love it. As you say, the Umaga vs. Jeff Hardy series was unreal, with Umaga's power and intensity and Jeff's selling ability. Think Mysterio would have offered a heightened version of that. Quite literally, as I could see Umaga launching Rey into the stratosphere with a Samoan Drop.

One that could still happen, and I'm pretty sure it did happen outside of WWE, but Ricochet vs. Mysterio feels like something that needs to happen with a good amount of time on a PPV. A proper passing of the torch kind of deal.

Another one I would have liked to see- RVD vs. JBL. They may have crossed paths in the Hardcore division when he was plain old Bradshaw, but in particular, the ECW-hating version of JBL felt destined to clash with Mr. ECW Van Dam in 2005/2006. But in 2005, Rob Van Dam had his severe knee injury, and by the time he healed and returned to head the relaunched Extreme brand, JBL retired from the ring for a couple of years to become a commentator on Smackdown. By the time JBL made a return to the ring for a couple of years at the beginning of 2008, RVD had left the company six months earlier.

3 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Another one I would have liked to see- RVD vs. JBL. They may have crossed paths in the Hardcore division when he was plain old Bradshaw, but in particular, the ECW-hating version of JBL felt destined to clash with Mr. ECW Van Dam in 2005/2006. But in 2005, Rob Van Dam had his severe knee injury, and by the time he healed and returned to head the relaunched Extreme brand, JBL retired from the ring for a couple of years to become a commentator on Smackdown. By the time JBL made a return to the ring for a couple of years at the beginning of 2008, RVD had left the company six months earlier.

Good shout. I'd have taken that as the main event of One Night Stand #3 back at the Hammerstein if they'd decided to go back. JBL riling all the mutants and maybe even ending Van Dam's year long reign as ECW Champ (in this hypothetical) would've been golden.

• Paid Members

I always thought it was a shame we never got a Steiner Brothers vs 123 Kid & Marty Jannetty match in late 93/early 94. Around the time of that great Steiners vs Harts match.

Shawn Michaels vs Hakushi really should’ve happened on Raw or Superstars or something in 1995 but didn’t. 

Actually, did Shawn vs Bam Bam ever happen? I’m guessing not because they never really seemed to be on opposite sides of the babyface vs heel divide. They were both baddies from 1992 throughout 1994. Then both turned face in 95. 

And I always really wanted to see Chris Benoit vs Ultimo Dragon in WCW as a kid. I don’t think they ever met in singles in WCW, Japan or during Dragon’s brief shite WWE run that’s only remembered for him nearly slipping on his arse at WrestleMania 20. Surprising really that they never crossed paths one on one. Think they met in a tag match in Japan once maybe but that’s it. 

There were a few of those Benoit vs Cruiserweights matches that surprisingly never happened in WCW. I don’t think he ever wrestled Rey, Psychosis or La Parka in singles back then either. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I guess as it did actually happen in the end it doesn't count properly but I always wanted to see a PPV match 1 on 1 between Undertaker and Chris Jericho. This was around the time of Biker Taker as well against a heel 2002/03 Jericho. I thought they could have had really had some good angles and matches around that time. However it was never to be as they were either both heels or on opposite brands until 2009 when the did one Smackdown match and a 3 way involving Big Show. The Taker went super part time and that was it. 

When I was a kid I always wanted to see Bret vs Hogan in the WWF in 93 or 94 had Hogan not left. I always liked to imagine who would win face vs face or heel vs heel battles that we were never likely to see. 

I always thought Jerry Lawler vs Vince McMahon would have been a good match, maybe booked in the mid 2000s as a brawl with lots of run ins and cameos. 

Edited by LEGIT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from being two parts of a Fatal 4-way for the title, I don't ever remember seeing Eddie Guerrero vs Undertaker one-on-one. Given both were on Smackdown, a run between them could have done huge business for the blue brand at the arse end of 2004 or early 2005, before Rey / Eddie and Taker / Orton.

2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Steve Blackman vs Dan Severn. Blackman has always been one of my favourites and I've recently started to appreciate how badass Severn was. These two would have probably kicked the shit out of each other, especially during Blackman's hardcore champion run.

Apologies to take this slightly off topic, I thought this match has happened so I went to google and the first image that came up was a picture of Shamrock, Blackman and Severn walking down the aisle as a trio. Outside of wrestling that would’ve been absolutely terrifying. 

Edited by Rapey Eyes

4 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Steve Blackman vs Dan Severn. Blackman has always been one of my favourites and I've recently started to appreciate how badass Severn was. These two would have probably kicked the shit out of each other, especially during Blackman's hardcore champion run.

Only happened once on TV (Raw #295 January 18th 1999), but it only goes 2:30 before a DQ finish. They had a few House Show matches through late January and early February of that year, but that’s it

Edited by WyattSheepMask