(Not quite) Dream Matches (that could have actually happened)

GeronimoJacksBeard

I think we actually had it in some form, but I always wanted to see a proper long Cena v Samoa Joe match and feud.

For me, Joe was TNA when Cena was WWE, and I think their styles would gel really well.  Plus I believe they are old friends?

They could still do it but for me it means putting the title on Joe, which means him staying healthy for 18 months.

Edited by Loki

On 4/26/2020 at 8:53 PM, Loki said:

I think we actually had it in some form, but I always wanted to see a proper long Cena v Samoa Joe match and feud.

For me, Joe was TNA when Cena was WWE, and I think their styles would gel really well.  Plus I believe they are old friends?

They could still do it but for me it means putting the title on Joe, which means him staying healthy for 18 months.

I think the two of them were in UPW way way back together and might have even wrestled not sure if it's on the network but would make good footage in a build up. 

Was thinking about Reigns/Rock it would likely be a Mania match and we aren't that far off the time from when Reigns first won the WWE title to now being the same as when Cena won in 2005 to the start of the feud with the Rock and that feud wasn't to make Cena it was just a big deal feud. 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, The Cutting Edge said:

I think Rock vs Reigns would be good and more passing the torch type story or match so I'd be up for that.

Rock vs Orton would work as deeper story, Orton can go when motivated and surely this would get him going

Doesn't make any sense to me that. Rock already "passed the torch" to Cena 7 years ago.

You would think a Cena/Reigns match would work better for that kind of scenario.

In fact, It'll never happen mind, but Reigns/Cena & Rock/Orton would be a superb double main event for Mania next year.

• Paid Members

Bulldogs Midnights could be a good match. Midnights Vs the Hart Foundation would have been a good one as well. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Sammartino vs Janetty? 

That one baffled me, to be honest. For one, has that ever been anyone’s dream match? And two, I don’t think there’s a time when it could’ve happened. Bret vs AJ couldn’t have happened either, could it? Even when AJ was in WCW at the end, Bret was already done.

Midnights vs Bulldogs would’ve been fun though. I know there was a Rock & Roll Express vs Bulldogs match but I’ve never seen it. 

6 minutes ago, Jacko said:

L.O.D vs The Hardy boys or vs edge and Christian 

Could have only realistically happened in '98 or '99 when LOD were a mess. Might have been alright in an out with the old, in with the new changing of the guard type thing. Hardys and E+C were only really established late '99 and LOD had fucked off by then.

Watched a young Cactus Jack face Jumbo Tsuruta in AJPW the other night. Only goes a few minutes, but Foley squeezes in a few nasty bumps onto the concrete, the mad bastard. Foley also losing to Kawada randomly in 2004 is another honorable mention for this thread. 

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Could have only realistically happened in '98 or '99 when LOD were a mess. Might have been alright in an out with the old, in with the new changing of the guard type thing. Hardys and E+C were only really established late '99 and LOD had fucked off by then.

LOD had that two-match return run in 2003 (or was it just the one match) so theoretically it could have happened, but by then I don’t think anyone would have wanted to see it. Of the 2000-era tag teams I’d have preferred to see LOD vs the Dudleys (unless that’s one of the matches they actually did in ‘03).

• Paid Members

I think they just did the one match in 2003 HG. And I’m sure it was just a dark match before Raw against Kane and RVD. Can’t have gone too well because that was it for them. They looked like relics when they came back in 1997 so I can’t even imagine them knocking about in those days. Looking at some of the heel teams back then, you had Jericho and Christian and Lance Storm and Val Venis in the Chief Morley gimmick. I’m sure they could’ve got half decent matches out of LOD but I doubt it would’ve been much of a run.

Here’s the 2003 match;

Hawk missing the clothesline on the Doomsday Device can’t have helped. 

Edited by wandshogun09