Florida deems professional wrestling ‘essential’

SuperstarNeilC

42 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I just can't subscribe to this, particularly for WWE. Almost every major sports organisation in America has been able to postpone their season. I can't see why wrestling would be an exception. If there is some kind of financial penalty, pay it. The approach being taken here could cost lives. 

I totally agree that it should be stopped, but a factor to consider- the financial penalties for breaking TV contracts wouldn't be small change. Franchises like the NBA and NFL have to be worth a lot more than WWE, I'm assuming, based on the (limited) amount I know about player's salaries. American footballers and basketballers are all on millions and millions a year, while only the toppest of the top rasslers are cracking that million a year status. Same as UFC, where just about any fighter bar Conor isn't coming close to the salary of the Lebrons of the world.

I know part of the problem with wrestler/fighter pay is that Vince and Dana White are carny bastards, but all the same, if the penalty for not providing TV shows for this year is, say, $100 million, the NBA and NFL could swallow that far easier than the WWE or UFC.

29 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Assuming Vince (74 years old) isn't rocking up to the performance centre?

Would be surprised if Vince wasn’t there, he is a captain that will go down with his ship. There has always been that mindset that he wouldn’t ask anyone to do something that he wouldn’t do himself.

Steph is probably the only person who could talk him out of attending the tapings 

40 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

So Trump's announced Vince as one of the industry leaders helping America re-open its economy.
Interesting that WWE is happy to be lumped in with 'sports' category after decades of declaring themselves entertainment for tax purposes...

Specifically, him and Dana White have been added to a purported advisory group to help re-start the economy. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/donald-trump-tired-of-watching-old-games-adds-team-owners-dana-white-vince-mcmahon-to-advisory-group/

I bet Vince is more than happy to take the financial hit for the woody woodpecker this must be giving him. It was a matter of time before he ended up working a program with the Trump administration in some formal capacity. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

UKFF not-so-favourite Noel Clarke is chiming in, what's his username here?

I don't especially disagree with him. I'm not convinced they're putting people at risk. They took guys off WrestleMania who didn't feel safe which suggests they're not forcing anyone. If the talent are somewhat isolated and happy to work then I don't think it's as bad as most other things they've done.

The problem I have with them and AEW continuing is that it just doesn't work as a TV show, therefore all risk, however small or large you think it is, is absolutely pointless. It's been driven by money or ego and it's wrong. Anyone watching it is a div.

People wanting to work still shouldn't be working.

Even in an isolated environment, with them being healthy, It's who they then might come into contact with etc. This is a public health issue, and the WWE should not be in the position where guys like Reigns have to say they're not working.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

They took guys off WrestleMania who didn't feel safe which suggests they're not forcing anyone.

There's forcing and there's "forcing", though.

if a Roman Reigns or a John Cena decides they don't want to work, nobody's going to stand in their way, and once this is all over and done with they know their spot will be safe. But do Riddick Moss, Drew Gulak or Lince Dorado have that same sense of security, or will they still be made to feel like they don't have a choice? It's similar to the Saudi Arabia situation in a way, in that a big name has the clout to say they're not doing it with no ill effect, but most people don't. 

Similarly, how many of the Austin Theorys and Wesley Blakes of the world have people whispering in the air that the depleted roster means this is giving them a spot, and they'd be foolish not to take the opportunity?

• Paid Members

The idea that they can do the show safely surely goes directly in the bin once you factor in them admitting an announcer has already contracted it?

They did the show on the same closed set, recording about a fortnight’s worth of shows, and someone still caught it.

Coming back and starting weekly live shows is even riskier than before, when we’ve already had a confirmed case.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's forcing and there's "forcing", though.

if a Roman Reigns or a John Cena decides they don't want to work, nobody's going to stand in their way, and once this is all over and done with they know their spot will be safe. But do Riddick Moss, Drew Gulak or Lince Dorado have that same sense of security, or will they still be made to feel like they don't have a choice? It's similar to the Saudi Arabia situation in a way, in that a big name has the clout to say they're not doing it with no ill effect, but most people don't.

I don't know anymore than anyone else does. That's just what I read into it. Other guys with clout worked mania and the tapings. Guys who didn't want to work Saudi worked these tapings. It's all guess work but I don't think they're forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to.

• Paid Members

I thought Big Dave hit on a great point on Observer Radio, which was that even if Vince feels like he’s won against the shitty circumstances and has saved his contracts by managing to produce live content, there’s still every chance that putting on such terrible, lifeless shows is going to do more harm in the long run.

The product, in its current form, just doesn’t work without an audience. It’s fucking torturous to watch. Raw at the best of times can be tough to sit through, which is why ratings were where they were, but now? Fuck me, it’s impossible to suffer through. And that’s coming from a freak who watches everything and can normally find something to enjoy. If I can’t sit through it, how can a normal person? This time of year is usually when they’re at their worst creatively anyway, but take away crowd reactions too? Pure death.

Putting on this dross week after week is going to chip away at the audience more and more. People aren’t going to miss it or be excited for its big return. They’re just going to fuck it off entirely and then fall out of the habit of watching. By the time this is over, and however low the ratings end up, he’s gonna have a tougher job renegotiating those contracts than if he’d just took the summer off and aired some archival content instead.

Edited by Supremo

Plus, what if one the talent (needlessly) injures themselves badly during one of those zombie shows? Unless WWE/AEW have their own hospital then they are taking up scant medical resources during a pandemic that is killing thousands of Americans and crippling health infrastructure. If wrestling promoters had a conscience (we know they don't) then they'd stop this lark immediately. Fucking disgusting and pointless, seeing as the shows are cack anyway.

I'm dreading the self congratulatory 'USA, USA' re-writing of history on network documentaries when this all over too. It'll be worse than the 9/11 'we put smiles on faces' muck that the McMahon's and the arse lickers lined up to spread.