Darren Burridge

Meej81

Whatever happened to Darren Burridge. He was a big deal back in the mid naughties and main evented a number of 1pw shows as well as other UK indies. He also had a great comedy tag team going with Colt Cabana called Team Shag (I think). Haven’t heard anything of him for ages and the internet doesn’t throw up too many clues either. Is he still in the business or has he moved on? “Shut it you slag!” 

• Paid Members

I saw him a couple of weeks ago in the pub. He's been mainly working as an action film actor and stuntman under the name Greg Burridge - check out his IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2369827/

EDIT: I realise that first sentence could be a bit misleading. I bumped into him in the pub - hadn't seen him in years prior to that. He also did Lucha Britannia for a few years.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

He runs the London School of Lucha Libre. He helped Will Ospreay out early in his career when he was causing himself grief and losing bookings. Will is very complementary about him. and directed and stared in London Rampage, now on Amazon Prime. Not sure when he stopped wrestling properly, but definitely focused more on training now days.

• Paid Members

he still wrestles on occasion, mostly to help out mates and put over trainees, but as others have said, he does acting, fight choreography and stunt work now, and mostly teaches at the London School of Lucha Libre, as well as running/booking the London Lucha League and having a hand in Lucha Britannia, and the Resistance Gallery. He was on a RevPro show recently in Will Ospreay's corner, and I expect he would have been on track to wrestle in LLL again soon if it weren't for all the show cancellations. 

27 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

He was in the funniest match I ever saw live, working a slow motion match with Mad Man Manson. I was in tears. (Was that the Bethnal Green Mutoh show, fact fans?) 

They were in a tag team match against each other on that show, so probably the one you're remembering.

Shit myself when I saw the thread title and assumed that he'd died.

Only saw him wrestle a couple of times as Darren Burridge with the pukka gimmick but had the pleasure of working with him half a dozen times or so when he was working for Southside as Greg Burridge when I was doing commentary.

I always thought he was a great talker. Bizarrely I was only thinking earlier today about the promos between him and Valkabious where folk thought they had legit beef. Around this time he did one of my favourite ever promo videos, talking about growing up and Brick Lane market. Gutted I cant find that now.

I always thought he was a solid worker, not necessarily ground breaking in the ring but made up for it with shitloads of charisma. I'll echo the thought that of he'd been around a few years later he'd be NXT UK or AEW bound. A genuinely nice bloke too.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Just to add another to the 'What is so and so up to now?' mix, would anyone happen to know about someone called Mr.Dexter the Safety Inspector (or a variation of that name)?

I only saw him wrestle a couple of times for Summit Wrestling (Aldis' old promotion in East Anglia) but the gimmick was superb - as the name implies, he would draw heat by coming out with a tape measure, measuring different parts of the staging, the ring height etc, then he would get on the mic and order everybody to stand up and leave the building because it wasn't safe. A proper health and safety villain. His finishing move was a People's Elbow - he'd take the pad off, run the ropes, but before dropping the elbow he'd put the pad back on first to make it more safe. Genius. I think at one show there was also a local band, who started playing after he lost, and he sold the initial blast from the speakers like he'd been shot.

I remember nothing of his actual matches per say (not to do the man a disservice), but the character was absolutely brilliant and could translate to any audience.  

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

12 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Just to add another to the 'What is so and so up to now?' mix, would anyone happen to know about someone called Mr.Dexter the Safety Inspector (or a variation of that name)?

I only saw him wrestle a couple of times for Summit Wrestling (Aldis' old promotion in East Anglia) but the gimmick was superb - as the name implies, he would draw heat by coming out with a tape measure, measuring different parts of the staging, the ring height etc, then he would get on the mic and order everybody to stand up and leave the building because it wasn't safe. A proper health and safety villain. His finishing move was a People's Elbow - he'd take the pad off, run the ropes, but before dropping the elbow he'd put the pad back on first to make it more safe. Genius. I think at one show there was also a local band, who started playing after he lost, and he sold the initial blast from the speakers like he'd been shot.

I remember nothing of his actual matches per say (not to do the man a disservice), but the character was absolutely brilliant and could translate to any audience.  

He can be seen in this video during his measuring schtick and putting the elbow pad back on.

Incidentally this show was the first ever show I went to as it was at my local leisure centre. Show featured a young Marty Scurll, PAC and Paul Robinson and a younger Doug Williams.

Also the local band who played at this show were classmates of mine and went on to form Mallory Knox!