The did-they-face-one-another thread

RedRooster

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Did Eddie Guerrero and HBK ever cross paths? Wasn’t that the rumoured Wrestlemania match before Eddie died? That would’ve either been the best or most disappointing one-on-one of all time.

Michaels reckons he was never told about that match, though of course he wouldn't necessarily have needed to know that far in advance.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Grecian said:

And the crowd going nuts for CM Punk at the start, and Trips and HBK having to acknowledge it by letting him join in the DX 'Are you ready stuff'.

Not so much having to acknowledge it but Trips gravy training it. No-one ever say he wasn't the smartest guy in the business.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Statto said:

Survivors 06  - DX, Hardy Boyz & CM Punk vs Rated RKO, Mike Knox, Greg Helms & Johnny Nitro.

The match best remembered for Shawn eliminating Knox in milliseconds & then asking Hunter who he was.

"Oh, we're doing good then?"

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Bret Hart vs Rick Rude

They wrestled singles at least once, in 1989 in Italy according to Bret. He wrote about it in a tribute to Rude after he died. Probably mentioned it in his book as well. I’m guessing it wasn’t taped though. No doubt Bret would’ve wanted it included on one of his DVDs if it was.

On Shawn Michaels vs Eddie Guerrero, they were supposed to be on opposite teams in the Raw vs Smackdown elimination match at Survivor Series so maybe the seeds would’ve been planted then for the eventual WrestleMania match. 

Edited by wandshogun09

8 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

They wrestled singles at least once, in 1989 in Italy according to Bret. He wrote about it in a tribute to Rude after he died. Probably mentioned it in his book as well. I’m guessing it wasn’t taped though. No doubt Bret would’ve wanted it included on one of his DVDs if it was.

Wrestlingdata has got records of two matches, both in Italy, but one is super-vague with no location or date.

rude-vs-bret.png

Edit: I've dropped a message to someone who will have more idea than most as to whether that match made tape or is in circulation anywhere.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, JNLister said:

Michaels reckons he was never told about that match, though of course he wouldn't necessarily have needed to know that far in advance.

Court Bauer reckons they were told well in advance (as far as SummerSlam) that it was going to be Bret and Shawn vs Shane and Vince. Then Bret informed them his lawyer said it probably wasnt the best idea, when you are suing Lloyds of London.

For some years, I had a thing about whether Ric Flair and Marty Jannetty had ever wrestled.

Jannetty would have been there the first six months or so of Flair's WWF run, then from Survivor Series 1992ish to Rumble time.

Then they were both in WCW in 1998, so I thought perhaps on a Thunder or Saturday Night.

But the closest I could find was both being in the Battle Royal at the Albert Hall for the prestigious Tuwaiq Royal Samovar Trophy. 

9 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I don't want to kill this dead, but there is a fantastic source at https://www.wrestlingdata.com/ that does this for you.

On the left hand side of the home page, under the Particulars sub-section, if you click on Encounters and then enter the details of the wrestlers you are interested in, it will bring up all the times they wrestled in the same match, as either opponents or partners.

It hasn’t completely killed the thread. For some reason, unless he’s under another name or I’ve fucked up, it doesn’t seem to include Jamie Noble. So I may end up having to change this to a Noble specific thread to fill the void.

• Awards Moderator
45 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It hasn’t completely killed the thread. For some reason, unless he’s under another name or I’ve fucked up, it doesn’t seem to include Jamie Noble. So I may end up having to change this to a Noble specific thread to fill the void.

Are they spelling it Knoble? I think he had that spelling for a bit in WCW and some people never got out of the habit.

2 hours ago, AshC said:

For some years, I had a thing about whether Ric Flair and Marty Jannetty had ever wrestled.

Jannetty would have been there the first six months or so of Flair's WWF run, then from Survivor Series 1992ish to Rumble time.

Then they were both in WCW in 1998, so I thought perhaps on a Thunder or Saturday Night.

But the closest I could find was both being in the Battle Royal at the Albert Hall for the prestigious Tuwaiq Royal Samovar Trophy. 

I'm sure I've seen Michaels, as part of the Rockers, against Flair, so it'd be logical to assume they'd make a mini-series of it with Jannetty against Flair too. But who knows what ad-hoc circumstances may have led to the Michaels match as a standalone thing on the night.