AEW general complaints thread

Chris B

• Paid Members

Not a fan of them showing overweight people in the crowd during Britt Baker's 'bmi' joke. It's fine for her to make jokes like that - it's in-character. But singling people out like that means that the show is mocking them. The idea of a couple paying for front row tickets, then being broadcast on live TV as an example of the fat people that live in the area. That's bullshit, and not in-keeping with how they portray themselves as a company.

2 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think it's just his way of trying to explain to the audience why on earth they'd be hugging in the middle of a match when they should be focused on winning.

Why not just let them hug? They're best friends, after all. Why do wrestlers pose after hitting a big move instead of pinning an opponent? Why do people stand there waiting for someone to dive? Because it's wrestling.

2 hours ago, hallicks said:

I first heard it on Celebrity Deathmatch, John Popper says it right before he kills Fiona Apple. 

Hmm. Well, it doesn't add anything to the show, does it? I don't mind it so much, if Excalibur is talking it means JR isn't, but it's not entirely necessary.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Not a fan of them showing overweight people in the crowd during Britt Baker's 'bmi' joke. It's fine for her to make jokes like that - it's in-character. But singling people out like that means that the show is mocking them. The idea of a couple paying for front row tickets, then being broadcast on live TV as an example of the fat people that live in the area. That's bullshit, and not in-keeping with how they portray themselves as a company.

Nah. If she was slagging off kids and then they cut to a shot of some booing kids nobody would have a problem with it. At the end of the day she's a arrogant, hypocritical heel who's typically portrayed as being in the wrong. It isn't hateful for a bad guy to say or do something that we all know is wrong.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Nah. If she was slagging off kids and then they cut to a shot of some booing kids nobody would have a problem with it. At the end of the day she's a arrogant, hypocritical heel who's typically portrayed as being in the wrong. It isn't hateful for a bad guy to say or do something that we all know is wrong.

@Chris B wasn't criticising Baker though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Yes but that camera shot doesn't exist in a vacuum. In context it was totally fine.

No it wasn't. Those people didn't go to a wrestling show to be fat-shamed on national TV.

27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No it wasn't. Those people didn't go to a wrestling show to be fat-shamed on national TV.

Who was shamed exactly? The people in the crowd looked like they were having a fun time if you ask me. Then again I'm not really the type to take offence on someone else's behalf so I could be wrong there.

16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

They clearly didn't know they were being broadcast to make fun of their weight.

Ah, right. So if they knew they were being filmed they would have been upset then and would've immediately stopped having a good time? Perhaps they weren't even having a good time in the first place because we all know that the obese are ashamed of themselves and can't take a joke like everybody else. It's wrong to shame and stereotype but I know what fat people are thinking and feeling at all times because they all think the same?

It was cheap heat on a wrestling show and everyone appeared to be having a good time. Let's not over analyse this.

Edited by Love-Wilcox

3 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Who was shamed exactly? The people in the crowd looked like they were having a fun time if you ask me. Then again I'm not really the type to take offence on someone else's behalf so I could be wrong there.

I don’t think it’s at all fair to say calling that out is taking offence on someone else’s behalf, it’s just generally being considerate of how it might make someone feel.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

It was cheap heat on a wrestling show and everyone appeared to be having a good time. Let's not over analyse this.

No, it was cheap heat BY a wrestling show. The heel didn't focus the camera on people for lols. The show did. And that's a dick move.

• Paid Members

I agree, its awful. Just let the boos tell the story of the insult. You dont need to find the biggest mutant in the audience to zoom in on him. If someone can give me an example of how this would increase the heat on Baker, then fair enough. Wrestling is the biggest escapism going for people whose self esteem is rock bottom. Do you really want to shine a light on an individual who is just looking to go out and watch something he feels he belongs in?

This is burned into my brain as a kid, because I remember at SummerSlam 90, Rude was doing his pre-match and they usually showed sexy big haired 80s birds, but instead they showed some big fat bloke in a trucker hat. I remember thinking that was a bit rum even then.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

There's no stigma to simply being a child though. Now if she was talking about how ugly all the kids were, and the Director went "Ooh cut to that ugly wee fucker" in the front row" then Cody would be inviting THAT kid to another show as his guest in attempt to smooth things over. Same as he did the MJF boy.

To be honest AEW's production is one of the things that really lets it down. There was a match at Revolution where they just cut to a fan checking his phone for what felt like ages, and for seemingly no reason. It felt like one of those shots WWE cuts to when something happens in a match that they can't show on camera, but nothing bad was actually happening.

It does feel like they aren't really used to filming live wrestling, which makes sense I suppose. You've got to think that the most experienced people are all working for WWE.