AEW general complaints thread

Chris B

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

ITV having the rights, because they don't deserve it

Yeah, their complete lack of even acknowledging the company lately is really annoying.

Impact, for all their faults, had a fantastic working relationship with Challenge and really did well by the UK. It was the first time I felt like a bigger company actually treated us well, almost as if we were equal to the US fans.

AEW would do well to have a similar relationship with the UK but they need a partner that actually works with them to do so.

I dislike folk using the aew ppv threads when they chat general news and don’t use the general aew news thread for it. Gets right on my thruppinies 

9 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

Aubrey does have a bit too much of a presence. I think she's enjoying the pops too much to just want to be the referee, and deliberately over-does things to get the reaction. 

It's not like she's the first ref to ever have a presence or personality though. That's often by design. Hebner, Little Naitch etc.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Think AEW sound stupid for ever mentioning 'more sports-based presentation'?

I think people just completely misunderstood what they meant by this. They heard it and thought it meant they were getting UWFi or something like that, so every flip or comedy spot gets a "what about sports-based presentation?!". But it's not about the style of the matches, it's about the formatting of the show - the win/loss records, and so on. It might not always work, but I don't think it's something to beat them up over.

I also love Bryce and Aubrey, though Bryce is definitely better suited to indie shows than to TV, as far as his big sells and reactions go. He's one of the best refs out there, though. I don't mind that different referees in the company have different personalities - it's reminiscent of Tommy Young in the NWA being very different to his colleagues, and it makes it all seem more real and human. 

One thing I will say for AEW is that, for the most part, they are ironing out a lot of the complaints that I, and others, have had about them. My only real criticism based on the PPV was that they need someone taking the helm in agenting matches a little more, as there's just too much repetition - I worked a couple of small indie shows over the weekend in different capacities, and both allowed time for talent to point out the key spots/moves they wanted protected for their matches, so as to make sure those spots weren't overused across the card. AEW, by contrast, had multiple suicide dives, two identical spots in which a ref distraction allowed a babyface to hit a low blow, and a superplex spot in at least three matches. If they can tighten that up, I'd be happy.

• Paid Members

Just to clarify, I think Aubrey's perfectly competent. It's that Ross gives off the impression of thinking "Well, I'm a progressive open-minded fella, but the general public are going to be well suspicious of a lady ref so we'd better address their prejudice and educate them."

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's not like she's the first ref to ever have a presence or personality though. That's often by design. Hebner, Little Naitch etc.

Of course, but it doesn't have to be that way all the time... Pick your spot. Aubrey ejecting the Inner Circle was a great time to go over the top, get a pop and a chant. The wrestling, otherwise, should be the focal point.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

My only real criticism based on the PPV was that they need someone taking the helm in agenting matches a little more, as there's just too much repetition - I worked a couple of small indie shows over the weekend in different capacities, and both allowed time for talent to point out the key spots/moves they wanted protected for their matches, so as to make sure those spots weren't overused across the card. AEW, by contrast, had multiple suicide dives, two identical spots in which a ref distraction allowed a babyface to hit a low blow, and a superplex spot in at least three matches. If they can tighten that up, I'd be happy.

Without any spoilers, I thought this was their best show for variety. As @Supremo pointed out in the PPV thread (fuck knows why we've got another AEW thread) there were some spots repeated in a few matches, particularly dirty heel tactics that were overdone and they definitely need to keep working on the detail of the shows and the matches but from a broad strokes perspective, this was the best paced show so far and a long way from those early shows were everything felt like a collection of spots. They've not got a bunch of characters to intertwine with the matches and used them superbly on the latest show.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah, their complete lack of even acknowledging the company lately is really annoying.

Impact, for all their faults, had a fantastic working relationship with Challenge and really did well by the UK. It was the first time I felt like a bigger company actually treated us well, almost as if we were equal to the US fans.

AEW would do well to have a similar relationship with the UK but they need a partner that actually works with them to do so.

For what it’s worth, AEW’s been on the ITV Hub homepage the last few Saturday mornings, which it never has been before. I can’t be certain but I don’t think that’s because Dynamite is the only thing I watch on there.

@WyattSheepMask is correct that Wuertz is one of the best refs around. The way he protected Alexander Wolfe at Worlds Collide last month didn’t get enough praise, he was excellent.

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Bryce Remsburg.

Ever since O'Rourke brought it up on his podcast I can't take my eyes off him during matches - specifically when he puts his hands on his head after a big move or when he jumps in to make a count.

Remsburg used to ham it up and overplay his role when he reffed in Chikara.  Even in a wacky promotion like that he would grate on me with all his mannerisms and exaggerations.  Looks even worse in a major promotion and on the big stage.

55 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

For what it’s worth, AEW’s been on the ITV Hub homepage the last few Saturday mornings, which it never has been before. I can’t be certain but I don’t think that’s because Dynamite is the only thing I watch on there.

Interesting. Their social media still seems to be absolutely dead.