Culture Awards 2019 NOMINATIONS

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

Some of the best content on the forum comes out of the Off Topic discussions. With that in mind let's celebrate the best of the year. These are for events / shows / etc that happened in 2019 (i.e. don't vote for Godfather Part II as it wasn't released in 2019. Neither did the Grateful Dead do anything notable in 2019).

Voting closes 11th January.

Please nominate up to three choices for each of the following awards, clearly stating the specific award your nominations are for.

If you want to give reasons or arguments why you've made your picks, please do.

Musician of the year - bands or artists.

Film of the Year

TV Show of the year

Video game of the year

Sports moment of the year

Book of the year

Edited by Onyx2

Film of the year:

1. Joker - Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I thought it was phenomenal. An unsettling soundtrack, a fantastic lead acting performance and a story thread that gripped me. It has to make my list.

2. Booksmart - Genuinely funny, warm and excellently written. 

3. The Two Popes - I really struggled to decide my last pick. I loved Us, Ready or Not, Good Boys and Dolemite is my Name, but this movie features one of my favourite acting performances of the year, with Jonathan Pryce excelling as Pope Francis. 

TV Show of the Year

1. Watchmen - Truly special and a worthy successor (in my opinion, at least) to the comic.

2. Preacher - Never quite gets the credit it’s due and I’m not sure why. Fantastically written characters that you genuinely care about, and a world that probably deserves the shit it finds itself in.

3. This Time with Alan Partridge - please come back, Alan! I really could do with some more of this.

Videogame of the year

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A surprisingly dark storyline for Nintendo, and arguably the best strategic gameplay you’ll find this console generation.

2. Tetris 99 - If the criteria was ‘most played videogame of 2019’ this would easily lift the award for me. I felt obliged to buy the paid DLC, I played this so much.

3. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fuelled - I’m not sure what the stance is on remakes @Onyx2, but this feels like a substantial enough remaster to merit inclusion. If remakes are banned I’m happy to change this one!

While I’ve read a lot this year, I’ve only read one book that is from 2019, unless you want to include cook-books, so I’ll give that category a miss. Same goes for music, there’s no one I feel strongly enough about to nominate.

Sport wise, I’m Scottish, so do the maths on how many sporting moments I’m likely to have enjoyed...

• Paid Members

Musician of the year CamelPhat, Cassius, Billie Eilish

Film of the Year Detective Pikachu, El Camino

TV Show of the year Top Boy, Fleabag, The Witcher

Video game of the year Untitled Goose Game, FIFA 20 (Volta), Link's Awakening

Sports moment of the year England beat Norway in women's World Cup quarter finals, Japan at the Rugby World Cup

Edited by PunkStep

• Awards Moderator

Musician of the year 

Bruce Springsteen - a new album and a film. No tour but we can’t have everything

Film of the Year

Blinded By The Light, Stan & Ollie, Avengers Endgame

TV Show of the year

Watchmen, Stranger Things, Stath Lets Flats

Video game of the year

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuelled, Jedi Fallen Order

Book of the year

Wild And Crazy Guys - Nick de Semlyen

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Musician of the year - Springsteen. Turned 70 and released an incredible album and accompanying film. Please don’t die.

Film of the Year - The Irishman, Western Stars, Diego Maradona, 

TV Show of the year - This Time With Alan Partridge, Tin Star, Lost In Space

Sports moment of the year - Messi’s hat-trick goal against Betis in April (https://youtu.be/0DpYpjKDRBg)

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Musician of the year The Chemical Brothers, Georgia, Sharon Van Etten

Film of the Year The Irishman, John Wick: Chapter 3, Us

TV Show of the year Fleabag, Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, The Devil Next Door

Video game of the year

Sports moment of the year Liverpool not winning the league, England win the cricket world cup, Ben Stokes beats the Aussies

Book of the year

Musician of the year

Billie Eilish. Not only has she released a fucking killer album, she's made my 10 year old genuinely fall in love with music and it's wondeful to see

Film of the Year

The Irishman, Booksmart, Eighth Grade

TV Show of the year

Fleabag Series 2, Money Heist Series 3, Ladhood

Video game of the year

Sports moment of the year

Lucas Moura vs Ajax. It's the greatest sports moment I've ever had and I still weep at the thought of it (and yeah I have put it in the fucking trophy cabinet)

Book of the year

Louis Theroux: Gotta Get Theroux This. The only book I've read that came out this year I think...Oh, I read Zonal Marking by Michael Cox as well. But Louis takes it.

Musician of the year - Mongoose McQueen

Film of the Year - Avengers Endgame

TV Show of the year - The Crown (s3), The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, Suits final season

Sports moment of the year - England cricket victory

Book of the year - 'For the record' by David Cameron

• Paid Members

Musician of the year - The Murder Capital, Nick Cave, Walt Disco

Film of the Year - Rocketman, The Irishman, John Wick 3

TV Show of the year - Fleabag, GLOW, Chernobyl

Video game of the year

Sports moment of the year - PSG v Man Utd (1-3), 

Book of the year