Stuff that makes you feel old

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Taken from Cultaholic. 

8 years ago today, Brock Lesnar won his first WWE Championship in 10 years. 

Fucking hell. 

Yes, and the time between Lesnars return and now is over 10 years, when he’d only been away for 8.

• 10 months later...

Starting a new term at work and checking on my forthcoming students. Most of them were born in 2005. The first thing that hit me was they were born after John Cena first won the WWE title and I was born just after Hogan did. 1980's Hogan seemed like an ancient relic to be in 2005 at uni myself so that means I must be a relic to these kids.

• Paid Members

Not old exactly, but Rey Mysterio Jr is 48 and Sheamus is only three years younger at 45. I mean, how the fuck?!

Rey Rey feels like he's been around for almost as long as I've been watching wrestling, and Sheamus is still someone I'd consider as having come on the scene post 2010 and well into my lapsed fandom.

• Paid Members
On 7/1/2023 at 9:30 AM, garynysmon said:

Not old exactly, but Rey Mysterio Jr is 48 and Sheamus is only three years younger at 45. I mean, how the fuck?!

Rey Rey feels like he's been around for almost as long as I've been watching wrestling, and Sheamus is still someone I'd consider as having come on the scene post 2010 and well into my lapsed fandom.

That's about the extremes. Rey was a child prodigy, wrestling essentially pro matches at 15 and getting his national break in his early 20s. At the other end of the spectrum Sheamus only started training for a pro wrestling career at 24, the age at which Rey had been Cruiserweight champ in WCW about 5 times. Rey was still only about 28 when he first rocked up in WWE, Sheamus was 31 when he got his break on Raw several years later when Rey was still only 33/34.

One I was looking at today which messed with my head a bit in terms of "forever ago" and when the usual prime/peak years for wrestlers are, is that Serena Deeb (an indy name before she was signed) was still only 24 when she was let go from WWE while a member of the Straight Edge Society and is only 37 today. That seems a lifetime ago and I genuinely would have expected her to be 45 or older and retired.

• Paid Members

Just saw a Youtube short about Independence Day that said "Thirty Years Ago...", showing the Yokozuna bodyslam challenge that led to Lex Luger's face turn. Yeesh.

• 4 months later...

TNA's first proper PPV, Victory Road, was 19 years ago today.

Gauntlet Match
Héctor Garza defeated Alex Shelley and The Amazing Red and Chris Sabin and D-Ray 3000 and Frankie Kazarian and Jason Cross and Jerrelle Clark and Kazushi Miyamoto and L.A. Par-K and Matt Sydal and Michael Shane and Mikey Batts and NOSAWA and Psicosis and Puma and Shark Boy and Sonjay Dutt and Sonny Siaki and Spanky (26:25 minutes)2

Empire Saint, Johnny B. Badd, Ron Killings and Erik Watts defeated Kid Kash, Dallas, Andy Douglas and Chase Stevens (4:37 minutes)3

Mascarita Sagrada defeated Piratita Morgan (2:58 minutes)4

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match
3 Live Kru (Konnan and BG James) defeated Team Canada [2] (Eric Young and Bobby Roode) (c) (6:57 minutes) - TITLE CHANGE!!!5

Trinity defeated Jacqueline (1:50 minutes)6

3-Way Monster’s Ball Match
Monty Brown defeated Abyss and Raven (9:05 minutes)7

TNAW X-Division Title Match
Petey Williams (c) defeated AJ Styles (9:48 minutes)8

Last Team standing Elimination Match
America's Most Wanted (Chris Harris and James Storm) defeated Christopher Daniels and Primetime (10:53 minutes)9

Ladder Match - NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
Jeff Jarrett (c) defeated Jeff Hardy (18:37 minutes)10