Bischoff Sacked

Yakashi

2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Eric wasn't hired to have any impact on anything creative. They weren't going to bank their biggest TV deal in history on a guy who hasn't had a good year since 1998, and if they tested the waters and the scripts Vince was changing were Eric's (unlikely), the joke is on them for being so stupid, but I don't think he was seriously brought in for that.

I also never bought the line that he was brought in to act as a liaison to FOX execs. How does that make any sense. Without him, they got $205 million per year. And suddenly they think the key to developing a relationship is someone they've never used in that position? If they're getting that much money, the relationship sounds pretty good to start with, they don't need Bischoff's fake smile, so that's bollocks.

Was he hired to be the fall guy when Smackdown underperformed? Not really, because if he was, they'd have kept him for five more weeks and then pulled the trigger.

So what was it really? Why the unexplainable hiring of Eric Bischoff in 2019? Because it was something to say to tide them over until they got to FOX because the ratings were down worse than they thought. They wanted to show the real marks, the shareholders, that they were taking steps to correct the course and give the illusion of stopping the bleeding by bringing in names that look good on a quick Google search. That's it. They had no intention of using him, because there is nothing there to use and everybody knows it.

So the entire thing was a bullshit flim-flam. A perfect, fitting end for Eric Bischoff in pro wrestling.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pray to all the gods that AEW doesn't do something really stupid.

I personally think they also hired him to stop him potentially going to AEW. Seemed a bit too coincidental for him to sign just when AEW was getting its act together. 

Yeah, the “signed him to stop him going to AEW” conspiracy never made sense at the time, because last time he signed for a rival company in a creative role showed he wasn’t a threat. And it definitely doesn’t make sense now, because AEW still exists so he could still go there.

• Paid Members

Heyman's worked for them for the last 7 years. He knows them and they know him. He knew when he took the job, he was translating their idea of pro-wrestling. I think he's well beyond the point in his life where he was trying to create revolution and is happy to be well paid and secure in his work.

Vince has always admired Heyman, even if grudgingly at times. They've worked together on and off for nearly 25 years.

I think Heymans legacy is actually far more substantial than Eric's and I like Eric. 

Manager in WCW

Created and booked ECW - which did get a TV, game, and figures deal. 

Mainstreamed hardcore wrestling. 

Resurrected alot if careers and fed the then WWF with alot of fresh talent. 

Writes for wwe creative and has done for years

Was on the wwf payroll when at ecw and prob has been in some way for last 25 years. 

Still a face on TV now 25+ years later. 

Heck of a lot for 1 guy, no matter how some of it ended up. 

Very very very smart man and I'm sure the kind of workaholic bastard Vince loves. 

Eric basically the only guy to have his company beat Vince in the TV ratings for 80 odd weeks.  Helluva achievement and only guy to do it.  - bankrolled by a billionaire who'd let him pay lanny poffo 500k a year to sit at home waiting on a call. 

Take out Turners dosh and it doesn't happen! 

Eric basically had 1 run for 4 years, 2 on top, which he bought with Turners money. 

That's it.

Heyman has had a whole career. 

Both massive legacys in there own way however I think Heymans is the more impressive from a 1 man achievement point of view. 

Even Steph is fond of Heyman now, judging by the documentary they done on him a few years ago. Beyond not having anything left to prove, the general narrative of that was that having kids slowed him down a lot and made him far more pleasant to be around. I wouldn't consider him a controversial figure in the slightest now, which of course proper de-fangs some of der notions for his apparent Raw revolution. 

Looks like he bathes more frequently, and all. 

15 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Even Steph is fond of Heyman now, judging by the documentary they done on him a few years ago. Beyond not having anything left to prove, the general narrative of that was that having kids slowed him down a lot and made him far more pleasant to be around. I wouldn't consider him a controversial figure in the slightest now, which of course proper de-fangs some of der notions for his apparent Raw revolution. 

"But if you think about how much he sweats..."
@PowerButchi

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

36 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Eric basically had 1 run for 4 years, 2 on top, which he bought with Turners money. 

Love wwe version of history. Yeah absolutely everything was about the money and nothing to do with anything creatively in wcw or how they presented themselves. All about stealing wwf talent and nothing else 

• Paid Members

I wonder whether William Corgan & David Lagana will be approaching Bischoff to help with production etc at the NWA. What are things like between him and Cornette?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether William Corgan & David Lagana will be approaching Bischoff to help with production etc at the NWA. What are things like between him and Cornette?

Hard to know with those two carnies.

They did a Table for 3 for WWE (because it doesn't matter how much he slags them off or how principled his opposition to a company is, Corny's taking a payday any way he can), in which they seemed to get on well, shook hands, joked about past infractions and whatnot, but then Cornette's slagged Bischoff off a ton on Twitter since then, so depends on how much you think Cornette's whole act is a work. 

22 minutes ago, Louch said:

Love wwe version of history. Yeah absolutely everything was about the money and nothing to do with anything creatively in wcw or how they presented themselves. All about stealing wwf talent and nothing else 

The money is what brought them to the table. Does anyone really think that if Eric didn't have the money to buy talent that they'd have ever competed 

Yes the story lines early on where great and nWo was fantastic however it wouldn't have worked without the talent. 

Even with flair, rude, sting, vader etc wcw  was still always no 2. 

Whatsmore by 1998 wcw was done, stale and a mess. All the stars were still there it just ran out of ideas, stars became insane divas, money was spent on insane ideas and it imploded. 

Dont forget even when hogan, savage etc came over in 94 wcw was still miles behind.  Alot of wcw appeal was "who will jump from wwf" or appear next. Basically when wcw had bought all it could and that factor went they had little to play out once the nWo became stale and died. WCW BIG run was an amazing one trick pony. It didn't  know what to do after that trick was done. 

That's why I rate Heyman higher. He's had continued personal success in wrestling (not talking financial here)  with just himself and far less resources.