This should have happened instead...

RedRooster

• Paid Members

Some good ones already covered.

Warrior should have beaten Slaughter handily at Rumble 91 and defended the title at Mania 7 against Savage. Not only was the gulf war angle tasteless but it had already lost it's steam. Savage putting his career on the line was the perfect reason for Warrior to put the title up. Then do Warrior vs. Hogan 2 at SummerSlam.

Goldberg should have beaten Nash handily at Starrcade 98. To facilitate it, Nash needed to be nowhere near the booking team and Bischoff needed to give a shit but Goldberg was the biggest star they had, the biggest draw along with Flair, and his title run had barely got started because of playing second fiddle every month to Hogan and minor celebs. He should have run through Nash while they prepped Steiner to eventually take it off him. Steiner was still fucking about with his brother and Bagwell at that point when they should have had all eyes on him being the next guy. Typical WCW going back to the one idea Bischoff ever had.

Goldberg should have won the title at SummerSlam 2003 in the Chamber. Missed the boat that night and never really got the value out of him.

Has anyone ever mentioned that Invasion angle? Well, what should have happened is...

• Paid Members

Instead of the squash match at last year's 'Mania, I'll never get over not having a proper Cena vs Undertaker; Streak vs Championship at WrestleMania. That was the one we were all clamoring for; Big Match John vs Big Match 'Taker with huge stakes attached. How they even considered throwing 'Taker to Brock before they could go through with that is mind-boggling.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Instead of the squash match at last year's 'Mania, I'll never get over not having a proper Cena vs Undertaker; Streak vs Championship at WrestleMania. That was the one we were all clamoring for; Big Match John vs Big Match 'Taker with huge stakes attached. How they even considered throwing 'Taker to Brock before they could go through with that is mind-boggling.

I've often wondered how far in advance they decided to go with Brock beating Taker, and whether they had planned to eventually get to Cena/Taker streak vs title the year after but Vince opted to go for the big "moment" having Brock end the streak on that show in the build up to the event, or whether that was always the plan.

I don't recall reading/hearing anyone definitively cover that decision in an article or podcast with anyone who would have been part of the process (please feel free to point me in the direction of one if it exists). 

35 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Rusev should have gone over Cena at Wrestlemania 31. Could have set him on the path to be a proper top tier heel.

I'm not sure I agree. Surely the "anti-American heel" gimmick can only go as far as losing to the All-American hero on the biggest stage possible, and who else fits that role better than Cena? That result was necessary to evolve his gimmick further beyond that singular dimension, but it was their failure to capitalise on his in-ring improvements and fantastic character strides with decent booking that stopped Rusev becoming a top tier heel. 

Edited by mim731
Double post

• Paid Members

I'm gutted that we never got the Cena/Taker programme for Mania but I'm struggling to think of the ideal time for them to have done it. Up to 24 they were on separate brands and Taker was at the top of the card for the other title. Taker then had his two matches with HBK and then they went on the run of 3 Cena mains with The Rock involved. Cena lost the first two so they'd probably missed the boat on the whole super Cena thing.

Then you're into 30 where Cena's dropped off the title picture somewhat after the previous SummerSlam and Taker's streak goes. Realistically, I think you do it at 26 instead of Taker/HBK again for the most heat and pay-off. That costs you the brilliant Michaels build in 2010 though.

Tough one.

• Paid Members

I'd say the best time would have been Wrestlemania 29 - rather than shitting on the "Once In A Lifetime" gimmick with Rock/Cena, they could have gone with Cena vs. 'Taker and Rock vs. Lesnar on that show; I think the draw of The Rock was still big enough that it didn't need Cena on the other side of the ring, and Brock was still fresh enough back in WWE that he still felt like "UFC's Brock Lesnar".

One of the biggest names in MMA taking on the biggest star in Hollywood, on WWE's biggest show, would have been a huge money match, and also a massive statement from WWE to say, "there's MMA, there's movies, and then there's WWE, and we can give you the best of both worlds". That frees up CM Punk to do something else, and I'm not sure what else would have been viable at that point for him.

Around Undertaker in general, the years leading up to the end of the streak, then the subsequent matches, I feel like they missed a trick anyway. Around the Michaels and Triple H matches (especially the latter) they toyed with humanising him, with showing that he was older, more vulnerable, and maybe a little desperate, that perhaps the Streak was the only thing he had left to fight for. But when it came to the matches, they never really booked him that way, and still presented him as on top of his game. If they'd booked him as an aging veteran, it'd make for a more compelling story. They toyed with it in the Bray Wyatt feud, but that was a one and done he barely showed up for, and then in his post-streak feud with Lesnar, where he was cheating and kicking him in the dick - Undertaker as a crazy old man with nothing less to love was an evolution of that character that could have kept him fresh and interesting. In theory, losing the streak could have been a gift, because his matches were no longer a foregone conclusion - when I watched Wrestlemania 30 live, everyone in the room was barely paying attention to his match with Lesnar until the finish, talking amongst themselves, because they weren't invested, they figured they already knew how it would go. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Around Undertaker in general, the years leading up to the end of the streak, then the subsequent matches, I feel like they missed a trick anyway. Around the Michaels and Triple H matches (especially the latter) they toyed with humanising him, with showing that he was older, more vulnerable, and maybe a little desperate, that perhaps the Streak was the only thing he had left to fight for. But when it came to the matches, they never really booked him that way, and still presented him as on top of his game. If they'd booked him as an aging veteran, it'd make for a more compelling story. They toyed with it in the Bray Wyatt feud, but that was a one and done he barely showed up for, and then in his post-streak feud with Lesnar, where he was cheating and kicking him in the dick - Undertaker as a crazy old man with nothing less to love was an evolution of that character that could have kept him fresh and interesting. In theory, losing the streak could have been a gift, because his matches were no longer a foregone conclusion - when I watched Wrestlemania 30 live, everyone in the room was barely paying attention to his match with Lesnar until the finish, talking amongst themselves, because they weren't invested, they figured they already knew how it would go. 

Sounds a bit complicated, this story telling lark. Probably best to just have a dance off and then have someone hit him with a chair in his back for no reason.