This should have happened instead...

RedRooster

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2019 at 9:17 PM, garynysmon said:

Bobby Roode should have beat Kurt Angle at Bound for Glory 2011. I know it set up his later heel turn but they should have pulled that trigger.

This was my answer.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:33 PM, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Certain I read somewhere that the loss was punishment for some sort of backstage incident. But I totally agree it made no sense at the time.  

IRS beating Kid (who had some buzz) gave the former some momentum because he was going to be working Razor in an upper mid card run through the winter. Makes sense to me.

10 hours ago, Sphinx said:

He did a promo for ages after the match which didn't really lead to anything the next night on Raw so I can't fully agree he looked like he barely survived. I was completely hooked by that match until the anticlimatic promo at the end. He should have been absolutely fucked as the show went off the air, not banging on.

I liked that promo because I was always a John Cena guy, but it was a bit cringe that he clearly felt compelled to do that just because he got a sort-of babyface reaction in that match for the first time in years.

Kind of showed the lie to all his ‘THESE PEOPLE CAN EXPRESS THEMSELVES HOWEVER THEY WANT’ stuff when the topic of the boos came up.

Was coming in to suggest Cena ending the streak at WrestleMania and turning heel in the process, but it’s been covered. As much of a moment as it was how it played out, this way would have been much bigger still I feel and potentially had a far greater impact.

The other one I wanted to mention was actually covered in a thread here a while back. Although I actually posted the suggestion on a forum several years ago, to little response, which made me think really, it was a pretty unrealistic possibility. But I was blown away to discover years later, listening to the Something to Wrestle With podcast, that it was actually very much a considered possibility. And that’s Scotty Steiner getting the Lex Express push in 1993.

Apparently there was talk of Scott winning the Rumble as a relative unknown. I love that idea too, but I really feel Scott was such a good candidate for the new All-American hero rising up to slam Yoko and conquer him at SummerSlam and wouldn’t feel nearly as forced as it did putting it on Luger. Fairly sure SummerFest was even in Michigan! Find it mental that they had Scotty on their hands and didn’t want to push him to the moon and that they basically did fuck all with him. You’d think Vince would be jizzing his pants seeing this guy, going by how he reacted to Tom Magee and years later Brock Lesnar. With that physique and athleticism, Steiner was light years ahead of his time! He’d have been the perfect candidate to spearhead the “New Generation”, he’d have made Hogan look absolutely ancient in comparison. Sure, he didn’t have Hogan like charisma at the time, but with what he eventually became he had it in him. And none of who they ran with had that either anyway.

Edited by GeronimoJacksBeard

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

With that physique and athleticism, Steiner was light years ahead of his time! He’d have been the perfect candidate to spearhead the “New Generation”, he’d have made Hogan look absolutely ancient in comparison. Sure, he didn’t have Hogan like charisma at the time, but with what he eventually became he had it in him. And none of who they ran with had that either anyway.

Scott wasn't particularly massive in 1993 though and he never really had the  promo ability to become a top babyface and certainly not the successor to Hulk Hogan. Always had a tendency to trip over his lines imo, but it worked in a wild (steroid freak) madman as a late 90's heel role.

In fairness you could also question Luger's promo skills but I can see why they would choose Luger at the time.

Edited by garynysmon

Luger and Brets promo skills weren’t up to much. Or Diesel really. But moving away from and trying to make you forget about Hogan with a new generation of stars, he was a grand choice for being so different (fans seemed to want something different by this point) while still being a suitable candidate to do the “USA! USA!l stuff if you had to.

And he was bloody massive for a geezer busting out fucking Frankensteiners in that day and age!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

And he was bloody massive for a geezer busting out fucking Frankensteiners in that day and age!

To be fair though, they didn't really give a flying fuck about athleticism in those days and certainly not at the top of the card. If they did then Bam Bam Bigelow would easily have been main eventing.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Find it mental that they had Scotty on their hands and didn’t want to push him to the moon and that they basically did fuck all with him. You’d think Vince would be jizzing his pants seeing this guy, going by how he reacted to Tom Magee and years later Brock Lesnar. With that physique and athleticism, Steiner was light years ahead of his time! He’d have been the perfect candidate to spearhead the “New Generation”, he’d have made Hogan look absolutely ancient in comparison. Sure, he didn’t have Hogan like charisma at the time, but with what he eventually became he had it in him. And none of who they ran with had that either anyway.

Honestly, I reckon the only thing going against him was his height. By most standards, Steiner's tall, but not by Vince standards. He's only an inch taller than Bret, and Bret was never getting the power-man push like that.

• Paid Members

Was there any reason Mr. Perfect didn't get a nod for a main event push following his comeback back then? He could still go, he could cut a promo, and he had matches that people got into. From what I've read about his work in AWA, he was a pretty fair blue-eye too.

• Paid Members

They clearly didn't think he was a top babyface. 1993 was the time to go with him if ever there was and they positioned him below Bret and then Luger. I think it was probably that he didn't have the chiselled look of Luger and he was an "old" guy in terms of TV time. Considering Bret debuted in the WWF well before him, when Bret took the IC Title off him in 1991, it really felt like he was the fresh young guy on the scene. And Bret was older than Hennig.

I don't think he was a good enough promo though that's probably not that important given Luger never was and Bret was authentic but not exciting.

That reminds me of another one. What was with the main matches at Survivor Series ‘92 once Warrior was out the equation?

Why rush a Perfect face turn to give Macho a partner rather then putting new WWF champion Bret in there instead? Considering Bret just dethroned Flair, would go on to face Razor at the Rumble, it seemed a perfectly logical solution once Warrior wasn’t an option. Or if that leaves Shawn without an opponent why not a Survivors match with them all in there? Bret/Macho and some mates vs Flair/Perfect/Razor/Michaels and start a Perfect face turn there. Realise everyone was leaving or being sent packing around this time, but even still seemed a more logical way to go than want we ended up with.

Yeah, I don’t know who Bret and Machos mates would have been. Obviously Bulldog and Jannety would have made for a lovely Survivors match were they options.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Was it not his Lloyds of London policy kept meaning he'd start and stop his comebacks?

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. But then didn't he go on to wrestle regularly for wCw?

34 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They clearly didn't think he was a top babyface. 1993 was the time to go with him if ever there was and they positioned him below Bret and then Luger. I think it was probably that he didn't have the chiselled look of Luger and he was an "old" guy in terms of TV time. Considering Bret debuted in the WWF well before him, when Bret took the IC Title off him in 1991, it really felt like he was the fresh young guy on the scene. And Bret was older than Hennig.

I don't think he was a good enough promo though that's probably not that important given Luger never was and Bret was authentic but not exciting.

With respect, I'd say that raises more questions than answers. Not having the chiselled look shouldn't have been a factor if they were OK to push Bret and HBK - in fact, I'd go so far as to argue that it would've been preferable if they were going to have Luger in the main event scene, because of the "Billy Graham Effect" of being a bodybuilder among guys who looked tough but not particularly spectacular. Being an old guy, I'd get, but seeing as he'd spent time away and appeared to be quite over for his comeback, it was almost like he was a fresh face.

As to the promo side, you said it yourself - Luger wasn't great, nor was Bret, and Yoko wasn't talking much at that point either.

Looking back at it, it really is a bit mystifying as to why he wasn't a candidate for a main-event push.

6 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

That reminds me of another one. What was with the main matches at Survivor Series ‘92 once Warrior was out the equation?

Why rush a Perfect face turn to give Macho a partner rather then putting new WWF champion Bret in there instead? Considering Bret just dethroned Flair, would go on to face Razor at the Rumble, it seemed a perfectly logical solution once Warrior wasn’t an option. Or if that leaves Shawn without an opponent why not a Survivors match with them all in there? Bret/Macho and some mates vs Flair/Perfect/Razor/Michaels and start a Perfect face turn there. Realise everyone was leaving or being sent packing around this time, but even still seemed a more logical way to go than want we ended up with.

Yeah, I don’t know who Bret and Machos mates would have been. Obviously Bulldog and Jannety would have made for a lovely Survivors match were they options.

Looking at the dates, they could've debuted the Steiners as mystery partners. SS92 was Nov 25, and they signed with the WWF on Nov 21. How amazing would that have been? 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. But then didn't he go on to wrestle regularly for wCw?

He was considering a comeback with the WWF in 1996. The angle they ran where he screwed mero out of the IC Title was supposed to be a feud with HHH. In the end he went to WCW, probably because of the better pay, but also because the WWF enquiring about him working again alerted lloyds and they stopped paying him. It was a bit of a Michaels-esque injury although a couple of years rest probably did it the world of good.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

With respect, I'd say that raises more questions than answers. Not having the chiselled look shouldn't have been a factor if they were OK to push Bret and HBK - in fact, I'd go so far as to argue that it would've been preferable if they were going to have Luger in the main event scene, because of the "Billy Graham Effect" of being a bodybuilder among guys who looked tough but not particularly spectacular. Being an old guy, I'd get, but seeing as he'd spent time away and appeared to be quite over for his comeback, it was almost like he was a fresh face.

They pushed Bret initially at the height of the steroid scandal. His not having the look was exactly what they were after. They were always after a new Hogan without the conotations hence the Luger push. As much as they pushed Bret and Shawn at times, both were always as a result of them having no other choice because Luger, Yoko, Diesel, etc bombed. They were safe pairs of hands.