Sha Samuels and Josh Bodom shoot on ref allegedly

Hannibal Scorch

3 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

To get back on topic. As discussed in the below video: I just wonder:

‘What is actually fair in pro wrestling?’

‘Isn’t it just poorly executed improvisation from Sha and Bodom after a messed up finish?’ 

Improvisation happens all the time in pro wrestling.... It’s a big part of your job description as a wrestler and referee. It’s not choreographed ballet.

Shouldn’t the ref had understood that he needed to co-operate in the improvisation as this could always somewhat be part of his job?

And if improvisation is always a possibility in this line of work, shouldn’t refs always be prepared to take an unexpected bump? Are you truly a ‘professional’ referee if you are not able to bump?

Who was actually the unprofessional one in this case!? The Ref who didn’t train himself and couldn’t improvise or the wrestlers who actually did?

Where is the line in pro wrestling?

/Devils Advocate

There aren't enough words for how stupid this is.

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

3 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

To get back on topic. As discussed in the below video: I just wonder:

‘What is actually fair in pro wrestling?’

‘Isn’t it just poorly executed improvisation from Sha and Bodom after a messed up finish?’ 

Improvisation happens all the time in pro wrestling.... It’s a big part of your job description as a wrestler and referee. It’s not choreographed ballet.

Shouldn’t the ref had understood that he needed to co-operate in the improvisation as this could always somewhat be part of his job?

And if improvisation is always a possibility in this line of work, shouldn’t refs always be prepared to take an unexpected bump? Are you truly a ‘professional’ referee if you are not able to bump?

Who was actually the unprofessional one in this case!? The Ref who didn’t train himself and couldn’t improvise or the wrestlers who actually did?

Where is the line in pro wrestling?

/Devils Advocate

You're an idiot.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

...‘What is actually fair in pro wrestling?’

/Devils Advocate

It’s wrestling not Whose Line is it Anyway? I’ve missed the point a lot over the years but fucking hell. This is a shit take

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Calm down. I'm just taking the WWE Jerry McDevitt stance to trigger discussion. Hence the Devils Advocate tag in my previous post. 

Performers take their craftmanship seriously and as it is extremely high risk, so incompetence can be really frowned upon.

A big mistake (as viewed by the wrestlers) can be met with disgust. It's the whole 'getting broken in' thing right? You hear it in every WWE doc. Veterans 'correcting' rookies.

These performers are under high emotional stress in that ring and when a finish goes bad I can understand that they can choose to work 'on the fly'.

Looking at the footage, Sha Samuels did everything to protect the ref. Protecting the other is the fine line between real and fake violence. Pro refs should be able to work on the fly and take a bump. 

Bodom acted reckless though and that's why he will never last. Good riddance.

Edited by LWOLeN

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You can’t work on the fly if the person doesn’t know they are expected to work on the fly. That for me is the main problem. This wasn’t a botched move, it was completely unplanned 

This. The fact is, the referee only did his job, in counting a pin. They could have worked on the fly with the other team, to get done whatever it was they were so angry about not having done, or whatever...

But you're missing a big point. The crowd aren't to know whether or not a 3 count is the planned finish (unless it was something with absolutely no chance of being a finish, like that leg sweep the flippy lads do), so there's literally no reason to involve the referee at all. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You can’t work on the fly if the person doesn’t know they are expected to work on the fly. That for me is the main problem. This wasn’t a botched move, it was completely unplanned 

A ref should be able to work on the fly. Come on, now. Let's not be dense here.I can see the point that LWO is reaching for, he's just not explaining himself very well.

Whilst a lot of a match can be planned, a lot of it relies on improv, instinct and calling stuff on-the-fly. This involves the ref, who is also a vital part of the match, and should be trained to take bumps (and most of them are). They should be prepared to take bump if something goes awry. It's all situational though, obviously, and a lot of trust is involved.

I've not seen the video of the slam (I've only seen the Bodom assault, because really that's the most important thing here), but did the ref indicate to Sha that he didn't want to be slammed? Did he verbally say no or indicate that he didn't want to work? Did he sandbag Sha? Were any of these indicators clear enough that Sha should've noticed this, ixnayed the slam, and just executed a simple worked punch instead? Or just done nothing at all and let the ref scarper?

I feel sorry for Sha; he was trying to work with the ref, but Bodom legit assaulted the ref. Yet Sha is still taking a lot of unnecessary flack. Even after seeing the video of Bodom battering and crushing him against the apron, the ref is still going all-in on Sha.

I feel for the ref. Really I do. He's been caught in an extremely shit situation and he's just doing his best to get back on his feet, but all this talk of 'unplanned moves' and the refs role in wresting, as well as still shovelling blame on Sha instead of solely on Bodom, all of this sets a sad precedent. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Accident Prone a ref is there to ref a match. If he’s not expecting to do actual bumps, that’s no kosher is it? But I agree Sha is getting more flack then he should over it.

A ref's job is more than counting the fall. He's arguably the third man in a singles match, the fifth man in a tag, etc. He's communicating info, he's part of the story, he's part of the match. Taking a bump here or there is part of it, as is stuff being called on the fly. 

But it's also a wrestler's job to know if someone is uncomfortable in a situation, and maybe Sha didn't realise that.

I'm not keen on going down this path where every bump and interaction is pre-planned; it stifles creativity and improv, which is what makes live wrestling so much fun. Bryce Remsurg is incredible at adapting to situations and improvisation, and that's why he's recognised as one of the best referees in pro wrestling.

This is a lesson in body language, anger management, communication and consent. That's what we need to focus on.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I've not seen the video of the slam (I've only seen the Bodom assault, because really that's the most important thing here), but did the ref indicate to Sha that he didn't want to be slammed? Did he verbally say no or indicate that he didn't want to work? Did he sandbag Sha? What was he wearing? Did he imply consent with his body language?

You don't bump a ref unless they know you're going to bump them, the same as with anyone else involved with a show.