WWE 2K20 announcment coming August 5th. First screenshot released!

TheToeSucker

The state of those character models. The Dusty Rhodes one is unbelievably bad. The last two pages of this thread have definitely put me off buying. It's not like you even get the full roster of the terrible spitting image gone wrong wrestlers without having to shell out for DLC etc...

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Another reminder of this, a PS3 game looking so much better.

246502.jpeg

But as someone mentioned, that game had about a dozen wrestlers and they all had the same ten moves. If the graphics on the WWE game were good, it’d mean sacrificing development time on something else so another part of the game would be even shitter than it already is.

1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

But as someone mentioned, that game had about a dozen wrestlers and they all had the same ten moves. If the graphics on the WWE game were good, it’d mean sacrificing development time on something else so another part of the game would be even shitter than it already is.

I don't think they spend any time developing anything, probably the only dev studio in the business that doesn't have to go through crunch.

• Paid Members

The TNA game was a first effort though. It was phenomenal for its limitations. A sequel they’d obviously have that engine to build on so could have spent far more time adding more characters and moves. 2K don’t seem to be able to do that year to year. 

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The Chikara game just came out on Steam, it doesn't look too great..

Yep, the Action Arcade Wresting engine is turgid, no matter how much they bark up the "Look! It's retro like your old games!" tree. 

The state of pro wrestling games is really poor at the moment considering we're meant to be in a pseudo 'boom' period. You've got Fire Pro which is excellent but incredibly niche, the TEW management games that require hours and hours to book a single episode of TV, MDickie pumping out the same games that were barley any fun ten years ago, a handful of permanently half-complete projects from indie developers, mobile apps based on cards and spending cash, and whatever the 2K squad can be arsed to cobble together.

I've been playing Smackdown 2 a lot lately (you can get through a week of career mode whilst taking a dump, it's wonderful) and that game, as well as the four titles that followed it (with the exception of Smackdown 3), managed to balance an easy-to-use wrestling engine, arcade-style mechanics, decent graphics and features that wrestling fans would go nuts for. At some point around the early 10's, WWE decided to fuck all that off and took the easy route due to having no real competition in the area.

Shut your mouth was the most fun I've ever had in a wrestling game. Just for the nWo bit. It was just so much fun to play. 

Best overall game for gameplay wise and options for me was  'here comes the pain'

Personally don't think anything else has come close 

From YouTuber reviewers I’ve seen, this year’s is the worst one in a while. The developers Yukes parted ways with 2K part of the way through the game, and the 2K lads didn’t really know what they were doing with what they were left with. So stuff that’s been in for years is more broken than usual, the graphics have gone downhill, hit detection is rubbish etc. 

Edited by King Pitcos