WWE 2K20 announcment coming August 5th. First screenshot released!

TheToeSucker

31 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here or become the Tilde of WWE 2K20 shit, but this one just sums up everything that I've loathed about these games for the past five years or so, and has a fantastic glitch at the same time.

- No atmosphere. The crowd isn't organically reacting to anything, if they're reacting at all.

- The movements are lifeless, dull and uninspired. (Well, until the end).

- The commentary is phoned in, awkward and just plain bad.

- Game breaking glitches that we all know and loathe.

Sad thing is most of those points make it sound like the most accurate WWE game to date.

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm enjoying seeing this game getting buried too, looking forward to the proper reviews coming out, hoping that they will confirm that it's a big load of shite. The WWE games have been the same lazy stuff for years, so it'd be nice if one was a big enough flop to give all involved a kick up the arse. I know that WWE and 2K have a long term deal, so wouldn't hold out too much hope for radical changes.

There's potentially a big open-goal for AEW to tap into here if WWE 2K20 gets a tonne of bad press and AEW can get their game out in 2020 with gameplay based on the fan-favourite AKI engine, as rumoured. Not sure how much it would mean to the younger fanbase, but I know there's a lot of people from my generation, including lapsed wrestling fans and lapsed gamers, who would definitely take an interest in any wrestling game promising to be a modern successor to those AKI/THQ N64 titles.

A decent video game can help to introduce a whole new market to your product, or at least that used to be the case. From my own experience, I can say that I wouldn't be a wrestling fan today if not for discovering those wrestling games on the N64. By 1998 I thought I'd long since 'grown out' of watching wrestling, but obviously not video games. I'd gotten an N64 for Christmas '97, but since the games cost an arm and leg I'd often rent from the video shop. I still have this memory of being in there and seeing the gurning face of The Giant staring back at me from the box of WCW vs nWo: World Tour. Hogan was on there too, looking a lot different to how I'd remembered him when I'd still been a wrestling fan years before. I thought it looked fun- so I took it home for a play. It turned out it was tonnes of fun. By the time the next Christmas rolled around WCW/nWo Revenge had not long been released and was top of my Christmas list. Weirdly, by this point I was well into the game but still not really that bothered about watching any wrestling. Probably over 80% of the wrestlers in the game were completely unfamiliar to me, but I was happy enough using my imagination to put characters to them and make up my own matches and stories. Then I discovered you could actually watch WCW Nitro on Sky. I must have stumbled across it inadvertently at some point when my dad wasn't in control of the remote, but I remember watching it for a bit and being blown away by seeing all these guys from the game in real life, and thinking how well the game captured all their moves and mannerisms. All this was during WCW's 83 week winning streak- the shows were hot. I was soon hooked. From there I rediscovered WWF, just as the tide changed in the ratings war and their show had become shit hot. The rest is history. I've rambled but there's a point in here somewhere. AEW should capitalise on WWE 2K20 flopping and bring out a re-skinned No Mercy so that I can continue this lovely nostalgia trip.

I'm similar. I thought I'd grew out of the initial fad of wrestling by 2000, but I bought Smackdown for the PS1 out of my confirmation money (plus Play by Moby!) and it came with a sort of encyclopedia thing that outlined the backstory of each character and gave the names of all their finishers and signature moves.

It completely dragged me back into wrestling to the point where I'd memorized the book off by heart, and bought WWF's propaganda hook line and sinker. I would have no interest in wrestling at all today if it wasn't for that game and book.

• Paid Members

Bloody hell. My beloved SvR 2006 looks and plays better than that, and some of the collision detection in that one leaves an awful lot to be desired. How can anybody want to play this? I hope there's a massive patch to fix all of this.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Bloody hell. My beloved SvR 2006 looks and plays better than that, and some of the collision detection in that one leaves an awful lot to be desired. How can anybody want to play this? I hope there's a massive patch to fix all of this.

That's one of the bad habits that AAA game developers have fallen into this past decade. "Oh we'll sort it out in a patch".

You know, the combination of bad gameplay, ugly graphics and a game that was fundamentally broken without a massive day one patch is what killed off the Tony Hawks games, and that used to be fucking massive franchise.

2K's WWE division could be heading for a similar fate here but there's enough WWE arse-lickers that will buy and defend this year's iteration that they'll just keep farting out the same game regardless of any backlash. Only two factors can really force 2K/WWE to make some massive changes and that's low sales and big competition from other companies.

Oh, and I agree on the SvR '06 comparison. Hell, my version on the PSP looks and plays better AND had a GM mode!

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I really got into playing that poker mini game on there. I've got the PS2 and PSP version. I made Dave Rayne on it and obviously had him and Masters form the Legion of #Boom. Still a lot of fun. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

2K's WWE division could be heading for a similar fate here but there's enough WWE arse-lickers that will buy and defend this year's iteration that they'll just keep farting out the same game regardless of any backlash.

It's not the same game. That's the story here. It's been almost completely re-written with little to reference and no handover. That's why it's shit.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not the same game. That's the story here. It's been almost completely re-written with little to reference and no handover. That's why it's shit.

Judging by the gameplay that I've seen, it looks like the same tired game that was being pumped out back in 2014.

Now the awful aesthetics, glitches that should've been fixed before copies were sent out and laughable features are taking it over the edge now. The game has been shit for ages but this year is just something else.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Why don't people just not buy it? That will send the right message.

You realise you're talking about wrestling fans here, right?

Anyway I also came to mention about the Twitter trend and I love this glitch with all my heart:

7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Why don't people just not buy it? That will send the right message.

The same reason people complain about Raw every week but still spend ÂŁ100+ a year on the network and buy tickets whenever WWE's in town. For all FIFA gets knocked for rolling out the same game each season can you imagine the backlash if that's what the new FIFA game looked like.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, Accident Prone said:

I'll never get tired of seeing this game get flayed online.

Holy fuck. That's amazing. 

It does make me wonder  what the QC guy is up to???

It's unforgivable to release something as staggeringly fucked and broken as this. 

Given we are not looking GTA or Call of Duty level Of design, graphics, or mechanics it's unfathomable to me how this stuff is allowed through 

5 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

It's unforgivable to release something as staggeringly fucked and broken as this. 

I know you’ve still got open wounds from being scammed by the wrestling industry, but that’s a bit hyperbolic. It’s a computer game that we can just not buy. Or, like me every year, buy it and not play it.