The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Another top show. The Punk/MJF segment was everything I wanted from a war of words from them, love that feud and the Hangman/Danielson one.

Punk and MJF to headline the first TBS show maybe as I don't think they can drag it out to a PPV? Expecting Hangman and Danielson to be at the Battle of the Belts special.

All in, this was a great show. I could maybe have done with less other company comments in the MJF/Punk segment, but I still liked it a lot. It's just, mention Miz if you want, reference Cena, but Miz, Cena *and* Triple H? Overkill.

I really enjoyed the Danielson/Cabana match, whereas the QT/Punk match went too long. Still alright, though.

The main event was great. Just a whole lot of great entrance music and entrances. The crowd throwing the belt back is something I've been looking forward to for a while, so it's a shame they botched it. Andrade's tights were very, very small.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

Saw a GIF on Twitter of Darby Allin flying ridiculously fast at one of the Ass Boys and I realised that I'm getting old as I just thought about how much his back and knees must hurt in the morning. He must weight as much as a bag of quavers because he just flies at people at about 100mph. The GIF is fantastic.

43 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I could maybe have done with less other company comments in the MJF/Punk segment, but I still liked it a lot. It's just, mention Miz if you want, reference Cena, but Miz, Cena *and* Triple H? Overkill.

Agreed.

These kind of soundbites will have made an impact on Twitter and all that, I suppose.

What made the segment for me though was the *exceptional* delivery from both men.

I also thought the line about the obituaries was top notch.

2 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Expecting Hangman and Danielson to be at the Battle of the Belts special.

Battle of the Belts is meant to be just the hour. With it looking like they're putting all the current champions on it, I doubt they'll be doing Danielson v. Hangman there. I'm thinking it's got to be Winter is Coming at this point. As its not happening next week, we're going to be 3 weeks removed from Full Gear and the babyface fighting champion hasn't wrestled.

9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

You'd think they would have something special planned for the first show on TBS as well.

The 1st TBS champion being crowned. Which is why i'm not convinced they'll have Jade go all the way to the final. The way it has been set up Thunder Rosa v. Ruby Soho would be the kind of match the fans would be buy into being a main event.

• Paid Members

I didn’t love MJF and CM Punk as much as it seems everyone else did.

It was fine, and I liked the line about MJF always going for low hanging fruit, but that, “battle,” style of promo never does much for me. People dunking on each other with workshopped lines designed to make the crowd go, “oOoOOhH!” wasn’t my cup of tea years ago. It practically killed WWE’s women’s division when that became the exclusive way in which they’d communicate. But in 2021? In AEW? When you’ve got Eddie Kingston on the same show? It feels more inauthentic, awkward and silly than ever before. It’s like Kingston has completely revolutionised the very concept of promos and everyone else - especially someone like MJF - is struggling to catch up.

Whilst I’m sure neither guy was handed a script, if there are long periods of time where it feels like someone is delivering their own pre-rehearsed soliloquies, then what’s the difference? There was a long chunk of time during MJF’s promo in particular that could have been directly lifted from an episode of Raw. Just a body with a mouth delivering their lines and hitting their marks. There’s nothing that makes me less excited to see guys have a fight. No wonder MJF is referencing there being a bidding war when his contract is up. This promo was a borderline audition for the typical WWE promo at the start of every show.

When do we reckon this back-and-forth, “battle,” style of promo was popularised? The Rock? Cena? Shawn and Bret? Either way it belongs in the bin.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Definitely John Cena. It's his bread and butter. He's the master at the back and forth shooty-bollocks promo and every time it's completely put me off any match it's actually been designed to promote. Especially as they are usually designed to make your opponent look like a shit dickhead rather than hype up the upcoming match. John Cena is a vastly overrated promo.

In this case, as a one off I enjoyed it. But now it's out the way I hope we don't get more Punk/MJF promo sparring.