The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

10 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I don't think that one is real, I've not seen that pop up anywhere?

I'm sure I had seen it originally on Twitter, but may have been Reddit.

The Owen Hart Cup was included in the preview for tonight.

https://www.allelitewrestling.com/post/aew-dynamite-winter-is-coming-preview-for-december-15-2021

There was some intention to make an announcement that either inspired the fan graphic...or they decided against and scrubbed it from the internet ?

I could watch Daniel Bryan Danielson wrestle for an entire PPV and not get bored. What a man. That result was always going to be a questionable one but I can't be disappointed with it. Just a superb match from start to finish and really showed that Hangman can deliver as well.

Yeah the lack of big surprises was the surprise in itself I suppose and again I'm not that disappointed because they do need to be more than just a company that relies on shocks. And as we've seen, when they put their faith in the talent they do have, they deliver time and again.

• Paid Members

Goddamn that was a thing of beauty. As much love as Danielson is getting it has to be said that Hangman was at his level every step of the way and proved he's a top standard main event wrestler. What a man.

Another great man: Taz. Just an absolute joy to have on commentary. He's brilliant and the best commentator in the game. My favourite moment of the night:

Excalibur: this crowd is 60-40 split in favour of Hangman. 

Taz: I'm not sure, I'd say they were split 59-48. *immediately snorts laughter*

And he was just brilliant slagging off Dante Martin throughout his match.

13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah the lack of big surprises was the surprise in itself I suppose and again I'm not that disappointed because they do need to be more than just a company that relies on shocks. And as we've seen, when they put their faith in the talent they do have, they deliver time and again.

They did build towards a surprise next week, in the Adam Cole/Bucks segment. I'm assuming Kyle O'Reilly shows up, causing further unrest in the Super Elite. I'm assuming the long-term direction of travel now is Cole, O'Reilly and Fish vs. Omega and The Bucks. The Black segment was also intriguing, seemingly teasing a stable. The segment with Garrison and Pillman heavily suggested to me that Brian Jr will end up being part of that stable. I'm not sure it's a comfortable fit if so, but heck, if they take that route, I hope Pillman ditches the mullet. 

At the risk of sounding contrarian, I found it really hard to get into Page/Danielson. At a certain point, it became clear to me that it was going to go the full hour, which made every move, every moment mean less than it normally would have. I think, for me, the main problem is that it was Hangman's first title defence. He wasn't going to lose, which made it hard for me to get into an hour-long defence. If this was deeper into his run, I'd probably have been able to get immersed in the match more. 

25 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

At the risk of sounding contrarian, I found it really hard to get into Page/Danielson. At a certain point, it became clear to me that it was going to go the full hour, which made every move, every moment mean less than it normally would have. I think, for me, the main problem is that it was Hangman's first title defence. He wasn't going to lose, which made it hard for me to get into an hour-long defence. If this was deeper into his run, I'd probably have been able to get immersed in the match more. 

We're all different, and we all go in with different expectations etc, so I can see why you'd struggle. Having Danielson as his first challenger made it feel at least possible to me that he might lose. It's not out of the ordinary for a face champion to lose their title fairly quickly and then get back on the chase again, so to me it wasn't a foregone conclusion that the champ was walking out with the belt. Even moreso when it's against one of the best wrestlers on the planet and someone I felt could believably beat Hangman in some fashion, even if it was a sneaky win based on his recent 'heel' behaviour. In fact I'd argue it was smarter for them to go with what they did, rather than what a lot of companies do when a face wins the title and struggle with genuine challengers and have guys going for the belt that you'd never think in a million years could win it. Danielson being in a title match always has a chance.

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This is why my $5 for Fite pays off as no PIP.

I watched on Fite, but seeing without adverts just showed how much they stalled in the breaks. It would Have seemed more hard fought if I hadn’t watched Hangman lying outside for 3 mins every ten mins 

Edited by Louch

One thing I picked up, and I haven't read the rest of the thread, Hangman having Bryan beaten in the middle of the ring while the time limit expired, while Kenny was seconds away from tapping out to Bryan in their match when the time limit expired. 

Between the ring gear and the light stubble and the moonsaults to the outside Hangman reminded me a lot of post-comeback Shawn Michaels here. With added babyface likeability.

I think the 60-minute time limit draw is smart story telling. You preserve Danielson's unbeatable aura but Hangman still develops by going longer than Omega. I think Hangman needs to win the series clean eventually, but for now I think they've maximised the value of everyone involved. I wonder is Moxley going to be back quick enough to be Page's second challenger or will it be the winner of the MJF/Punk feud?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Completely agree with this. There’s nothing wrong with going long but when you start to see the wires and realise what’s happening it completely ruins the drama. I know there’s likely a huge difference between doing a thirty minute draw and a sixty minute draw (well, thirty minutes to be exact) but the reason the Omega match was so superior to this match was because they didn’t make it obvious. They went balls to the wall the whole time and then it just so happened that the time limit expired. Here, you could smell it a mile off.

Don’t get me wrong, the work was fantastic and both guys are fucking great, but was this really preferable to a twenty minute banger to close the show, with Hangman winning clean? Especially with how lacklustre Hangman’s reign has been thus far, with his heel adversary being infinitely cooler, doing exactly what he says he’s going to do, smashing everyone in, whilst Hangman sort of just exists or bombs at the announce desk.

Six months into his reign, with loads of momentum? This would have been perfect. But here and now? Page needed a kickass, compact match with a decisive win. Not this artificial, “epic.”

But yeah. Taz was fantastic. Whilst I hope JR overcomes all of his health problems I don’t know how you bring him back when Taz has been such an obvious improvement in his place. Was Taz this good in TNA? He’s the best. Calls everything brilliantly. Gets everything over. Wildly entertaining. Always makes me laugh. He’s everything a commentator should be. It feels like watching the show with your mates.

Edited by Supremo

Couldn’t believe they went with the World Title match the opener. Then it became clear why they did, a brave choice to go with a 60 Minute draw on TV in this day & age.
The match itself was good apart from the whole bit with Hangman’s cut, that whole section nearly killed the whole thing dead. Dr Sampson showing himself to be as much use as a Chocolate Teapot, god help them if someone ever gets a serious injury and that useless cunts around. 

It took a while to get things back after all of that bullshit, but they got there eventually and I was sure Hangman had the win after the Dead Eye in the middle of the ring.
A draw does so much to justify a rematch too. A few weeks ago you had Hangman brag about how he beat Omega and he did it in under 30 minutes, whereas Bryan can say that half of AEW’s World Champions have tried & failed to beat him. I’m looking forward to  seeing them doing it again sometime.

I hope someone bricked that cunt in the Red Hoodie after the show. You’re fucking ringside, why do you need to stand up the whole fucking show

What was Tony Khan’s announcement? Cos according to Schiavone, he’d “just booked” the trios match after the fallout of the post-match. So either TK foresaw what was going to happen and had already booked the match, or hadn’t actually booked anything in the first place

Edited by WyattSheepMask

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

But yeah. Taz was fantastic. Whilst I hope JR overcomes all of his health problems I don’t know how you bring him back when Taz has been such an obvious improvement in his place. Was Taz this good in TNA? He’s the best. Calls everything brilliantly. Gets everything over. Wildly entertaining. Always makes me laugh. He’s everything a commentator should be. It feels like watching the show with your mates.

Its nice watching a show where the announcers seem to like eachother and have a bit of a laugh. Instead of the completely humourless yet still weirdly passive aggressive vibe that WWE announcers have had with eachother forever.

Edited by Pinc