The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

FTR haven't worked any indy dates since signing. That's not what that is. This all started with the news of RoH shutting down and people becoming free agents. As is the way of things these days, FTR essentially called out the Briscoes. The Briscoes have mates in AEW and were backstage the other week this has been in the works.

This isn't about FTR getting some extra cash from a company that's not running any shows for 4 months and maybe never will again. It's the first physical interaction of a feud that will play out on AEW TV for the benefit of AEW. Then hopefully end rather than seeing the Briscoes become #AllElite.

They have been doing AAA shows, so they have been doing other companies that aew have working relationships with. All evidence till this point is if it’s set up elsewhere, it happens elsewhere. Can you tell us why you think this is different?  Loads of wrestlers are backstage at aew when it’s close to where they live, that’s something that’s happened forever in any company. 

27 minutes ago, Louch said:

They have been doing AAA shows, so they have been doing other companies that aew have working relationships with. All evidence till this point is if it’s set up elsewhere, it happens elsewhere. Can you tell us why you think this is different?  Loads of wrestlers are backstage at aew when it’s close to where they live, that’s something that’s happened forever in any company. 

AAA aren't an indy. It also shows how the relationship between FTR and AAA has played out on AEW TV.

RoH is letting all contracts lapse or terminating at the end of March. They're meant to be coming back in April for Supercard of Honor but they don't even have a building announced for one of the busiest weekends of wrestling. Not to mention its not actually a weekend anymore with WWE going to 2 nights and a Takeover. Then going beyond that there's still no model of what their future format is going to look like.

Everyone's basically a free agent and moving on to what comes next. Gresham's setting up his own promotion. Rok-C set up an angle with Impact's Deonna Purrazzo that's a sign she's off to Impact for a run. Jay Lethal bolted for AEW.

FTR were there last night because Tony Khan wants FTR v. The Briscoes in AEW.

We will see, you still aren’t giving anyone anything different to say why this will be any different from outside of AEW Feuds to this point and it’s boring going in circles. They have said what they will be, they will be taping with non contracted guys for tv just as it was in the early years. Everyone isn’t basically a free agent, they are just a free agent. 

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have to say, considering how racist they have been publicly, and how Tony Khan told Hulk Hogan he’ll never let him into AEW, it doesn’t sound like something he’d let happen on Dynamite.

I would be somewhat surprised, unless The Briscoes have shown extreme levels of contrition, and demonstrated that their ignorance was exactly that - much as Randy Orton has shown that he has grown as a person over the years. Having said that, it may just have been cheap PR to say what he said about Hogan; and he's calculated that far less people are aware of what The Briscoes have said. It would be pretty shitty for people like Anthony Bowens and Sonny Kiss, so I hope that isn't the case. 

Speaking of Bowens - he impresses me every time I see him. He has bags of potential as a future singles star. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

Speaking of Bowens - he impresses me every time I see him. He has bags of potential as a future singles star. 

Agreed on that. He had a few really good little singles matches while Caster was suspended.

He also had a cracker of a match with Danielson, but that's to be expected.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I would be somewhat surprised, unless The Briscoes have shown extreme levels of contrition, and demonstrated that their ignorance was exactly that - much as Randy Orton has shown that he has grown as a person over the years. Having said that, it may just have been cheap PR to say what he said about Hogan; and he's calculated that far less people are aware of what The Briscoes have said. It would be pretty shitty for people like Anthony Bowens and Sonny Kiss, so I hope that isn't the case. 

Jay Briscoe was made to publicly apologise, and worked for a while without pay, after the backlash to his tweets. More recently, Ian Riccaboni has said that he's matured and changed his views, and is great at working closely with LGBT talent in ROH. Might just all be PR fluff, but it's possible that they've grown and matured.

I'd still rather not see them in AEW - it's a spot that could go to a team who have zero history of homophobia and racism - and hope that involving them with FTR at the ROH show was more Tony Khan throwing ROH a bone to give them something to work with if the ROH comeback actually happens (which I don't believe it will). 

While I think Tony Khan is a smart booker and promoter, I also think he's a fanboy at heart that will always find a spot on his roster for people he watched as a fan, and early ROH definitely fits that bill, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Briscoes come in regardless. 

I have only seen one, maybe two Briscoes matches when they were on shows I was at, but if they have changed then they are the people who change the views of people who they used to share views with, not people who have been opposed the whole time. You have to show a path to growth and change to be followed. 

New players tribune article from Amanda Huber about Brody and his illness. Proper had me bubbling up. Get yourself pals like Cody and Big E . 

Link

it’s a long read so make sure you have time 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Louch said:

New players tribune article from Amanda Huber about Brody and his illness. Proper had me bubbling up. Get yourself pals like Cody and Big E . 

Link

I just read it from @Frankie Crisp's mention in the twitter thread and came to repost it. Like you say, a long and pretty tough read. After this and the recent Kingston articles, they are posting some top stuff. But the realness and honesty is amazing. Even though I heard her talk about his last few weeks and indeed days, on the AEW podcast last year, reading this again was really sad.

• Awards Moderator
41 minutes ago, Louch said:

Link

Heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing (and @Frankie Crisp too)

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Link

Oh man, that was beautiful / really tough.

Something like this happening to a man mountain like Brodie just underlines how we should never take a single day for granted.