The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

AEW's best bet at this point is to aim for consistency, develop a loyal fanbase and grow from there. It's a sensible model that takes time but it's the right way of doing it. They've not jumped in the deep end with anything really (apart from maybe that first show but they didn't really have much to lose). I think they're doing just fine and the week in week out ratings comparisons are generally pointless.

On another note

Punk feels a bit like he's treading water already week on week so even like if one week they just do a promo video for Him or his latest feud etc it would be better than what they are doing now..it seems he will only fight on ppv and Big specials which is fair enough but with aew only doing ppv every few months it's a long time in between I think they can afford him a week off from time to time etc rather than doing a happy to be here promo which is great for the live audience and getting repetitive for those at home.

41 minutes ago, DAVEYJONESGIANTSQUID said:

Wwe on video packages alone can hype you for a match and sometimes it delivers and sometimes it doesn't but as a sports entertainment company they have entertained you with the story so ultimately done their job. 

Shape yourself up man, have some pride.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Apparently that night was a big night for season premieres in the US so that may have had some effect. I don't think AEW is going to get any monster ratings jumps at this point though. As long as they stay consistent hopefully ratings will slowly rise.

Fair point. Perhaps it was a defensive move like the Big E title change to ward off a potential drop in viewers. I'm not convinced though. I think when you stack a show to that point, you're clearly expecting a bump. Nothing to worry about but telling that it didn't.

1 hour ago, DAVEYJONESGIANTSQUID said:

Agenda driven opinions are the order of the day there..oh but aew were against a and b..BTW rawratings were crap... let's not mention they were up against the juggernaut that is mnf as well as the Premiere of two bigger shows in dwts and the voice

Lots of talk about this last week if you want to read it so the suggestion that it's being ignored is nonsense. Raw is against MNF every year, it's not a factor in their ratings dipping year on year ever year bar 2020 which was an anomaly but if you're comfortable pretending, enjoy.

1 hour ago, DAVEYJONESGIANTSQUID said:

For me they are two totally different products for different audiences

Yep, one is for pensioners.

59 minutes ago, DAVEYJONESGIANTSQUID said:

Punk feels a bit like he's treading water already week on week so even like if one week they just do a promo video for Him or his latest feud etc it would be better than what they are doing now..it seems he will only fight on ppv and Big specials which is fair enough but with aew only doing ppv every few months it's a long time in between I think they can afford him a week off from time to time etc rather than doing a happy to be here promo which is great for the live audience and getting repetitive for those at home.

He's doing great. He was on commentary last week to set up the Tazz angst and the big angle to create his match. This week he cut a promo to set up his first TV match for 7 years. He's only been back a month. maybe they will leave him off some shows in the longer term but given he's been around for less than 6 weeks and had a PPV match and now his TV debut to build, they're hardly going to do it without him.

Your shift key is broken btw.

The Punk stuff will settle down eventually. Right now AEW are clearly trying to give as many live crowds as possible the 'Punk experience' - and why not? It's bloody brilliant. We've waited years for this and we never knew if it was coming or not. It's up there with people wanting to experience the Undertaker's entrance live. Just one of those wrestling bucket list moments.

21 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The Punk stuff will settle down eventually. Right now AEW are clearly trying to give as many live crowds as possible the 'Punk experience' - and why not? It's bloody brilliant. We've waited years for this and we never knew if it was coming or not. It's up there with people wanting to experience the Undertaker's entrance live. Just one of those wrestling bucket list moments.

Absolutely agree but maybe keep it to the live crowd as people at home don't need the same promo every week

Shows you how good standards are right now that Punk could be considered to be treading water the same week of this episode of Dynamite's reaction and promo. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

43 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Fair point. Perhaps it was a defensive move like the Big E title change to ward off a potential drop in viewers. I'm not convinced though. I think when you stack a show to that point, you're clearly expecting a bump. Nothing to worry about but telling that it didn't.

THE BIG E title change was planned for the draft and the draft got moved.. the same as it was known ages. The same as when people try to say roman being in raw this week was a hotshot.. considering he was known too not be on the smackdown uk tour months ago so this was planned ages ago. 

43 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Lots of talk about this last week if you want to read it so the suggestion that it's being ignored is nonsense. Raw is against MNF every year, it's not a factor in their ratings dipping year on year ever year bar 2020 which was an anomaly but if you're comfortable pretending, enjoy.

Yep, one is for pensioners.

He's doing great. He was on commentary last week to set up the Tazz angst and the big angle to create his match. This week he cut a promo to set up his first TV match for 7 years. He's only been back a month. maybe they will leave him off some shows in the longer term but given he's been around for less than 6 weeks and had a PPV match and now his TV debut to build, they're hardly going to do it without him.

Your shift key is broken btw.

No doubt the raw ratings have slipped but v that's not aew that's the fact it's 3 hours.. smackdown is written by the same people and is a hugely better show largely in part to not having to fill 3 hours. 

Maybe following punk for his whole career I expected more than just a promo every week basically saying he's happy to be there and Pro wrestling is back.  By the end of the punk promo moving into mjf vs pillman which in itself was poor they had lost viewers compared to Danielson.

Punk for me has absolutely been overshadowed by Danielson coming in as beyond his first match the intrigue for a lot of people I know its gone people are more talking about who they'd love Danielson or Cole to face. 

I don't have a shift key on mobile mate

1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Shape yourself up man, have some pride.

Nothing I have said is false. 

Aew is a pro wrestling show

Wwe is sports entertainment so essentially a TV show featuring wrestling

In aew the wrestling is much more important whereas in wwe it is absolutely secondary to the overarching story

• Paid Members

I have absolutely no idea what people are watching or what they were expecting from Punk if they think he’s treading water. Lad has been back barely a month and he’s delivered one of the greatest segments of all time in his comeback, had some solid interactions with Sting, Taz and Darby, even fucking HOOK got a nice rub when they squared off, he had a great match at the PPV, an excellent showing on commentary, a great angle where Hobbs attacked him and then a fantastic go-home promo for the match on Wednesday.

He’s not just saying he’s happy to be there or cutting the feel-good house show promo every week. If you think he is then you aren’t paying attention. He’s slotted in brilliantly and delivered almost every week so far. The only way anyone could view this as a disappointment is if they were expecting something stupid like a shitty pipe bomb~! on every episode.

Edited by Supremo

Either Cody is doing some brilliantly subtle work (for pro-wrestling) leading to a heel turn where he's essentially AEW's Homelander or he is totally deluded and oblivious which, if that's the case, oh, boy.

Hopefully it's the former and we get his platform rising entrance to see him furiously masturbating and shouting into a microphone that he's Cody Rhodes and he can do whatever the fuck he wants.