All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Screenshot_2023-10-04-10-44-00-3502.thumb.jpg.326789d177e6271b05a6089166a40979.jpg

The Tories have committed some of the most appalling acts in this countries political history, especially over the past 13 years but this is taking it to a whole new level. 

Small thing but imagine dreaming of becoming a journalist, presumably doing a journalism degree, working your way up and you're reduced to reporting on things like that.

The way media is these days I get it, but fucking hell.

Edit: sorry forgot to add, but as someone who works in local government, if you think the cuts in the last 13 years or so have been bad, wait until you see the next couple of years. Absolutely crippling.

Edited by SuperBacon

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Small thing but imagine dreaming of becoming a journalist, presumably doing a journalism degree, working your way up and you're reduced to reporting on things like that.

To be fair to Chris Mason, he does report on all the massive stories and is quite good. This is just part of his daily live reporting from the conference. At least it isn’t trawling Twitter and rewriting a load of tweets on a hashtag or replies to a shit post into a story.  

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

To be fair to Chris Mason, he does report on all the massive stories and is quite good. This is just part of his daily live reporting from the conference. At least it isn’t trawling Twitter and rewriting a load of tweets on a hashtag or replies to a shit post into a story.  

Yeah fair enough, I'm sure he does. It just irritates me massively, probably because of the Tory cunt that had the pineapple.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Obviously a lot of modern journalism is the worst possible dumbing down ''what colur dress is Princess Kate wearing" but I don't think thats the case here. I think Chris Mason just found it quite funny and wanted to comment on it - he's the BBCs lead politics journalist (and whilst not great, he's a lot better at it than Lauraisatory Kuenssberg was), I doubt he's got anyone shouting down his ear 'Whats Rishi having for tea?'

EDIT - What Keith said!

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Edit: sorry forgot to add, but as someone who works in local government, if you think the cuts in the last 13 years or so have been bad, wait until you see the next couple of years. Absolutely crippling.

It must be awful to be at the Tory party conference, always reporting on racist, homophobic and misogynistic policies. Let poor Chris have a little ray of sunshine in his day where he reports on crazy breakfasts, otherwise he will be self harming by mid afternoon. 

At least we will probably have Labour taking over by then, so they can reassure us by telling us how now is not the time for that and how, for at least 5 years, they’ve inherited the mess from the last government. And then do fuck all. 

41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

At least we will probably have Labour taking over by then, so they can reassure us by telling us how now is not the time for that and how, for at least 5 years, they’ve inherited the mess from the last government. And then do fuck all. 

Well the thing is, the budget deficit is so huge we are already looking into delivering the 25/26 budget so I'm not even sure that a new government would be able to reverse all that in time.

I think it was 640m in budget cuts over the last 13 years and I'm pretty sure that is just my organisation. As someone who's job relies on grant funding/money from central government, its quite the worry. 

One of the biggest issues is the rapidly aging population and the dearth of qualified, or just the lack of, people that want to go into care work, which means more money spent on agency care provision and not "in house"

Not going to lie, I will hold my hands up and say I could never do adult care work,  so fair play to anyone that does and the agency workers deserve all their pay, but something needs to drastically change in that sector otherwise we are facing an absolute disaster (another one)

• Paid Members

In the same vein as @ReturnOfTheMackand @SuperBacon have said there, our health trust got word today that we have to try and cut £25M in spending, between now and the end of the financial year, on such things as new/replacement furniture, equipment, stock, stationary, printing, travel, training etc. 

On the same day, before the word came down about the above, my boss had gotten our estates department to do him a favour and put up a small bit of an old bench in a repurposed area of the canteen, to try and fit some extra seating in via two or three bar stools that we were planning to purchase. He had recently gotten a couple himself for the house that were £70 for the pair from IKEA. Even though they are going to stick the arm in, it can't be too bad. 

So we went to the "proposed supplier" the first in line for the contract for such stuff. There's no prices on their website because you have to phone up, tell them what organisation you are and then you get put through to someone that deals with your account etc (so they can figure out how to charge, is the commonly held thought, right or wrong).

So, a single bar stool, that doesn't cook you breakfast, doesn't massage your back or give you a happy ending nor fuck all. It doesn't even look particularly nice. They want £587+VAT each. In Northern Ireland. The whole system is rotten to the core. Needless to say, our new coffee bar bench will now be repurposed again, as an empty storage shelf, for all the stock that we're no longer allowed to purchase. 

Edited by WeeAl

13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Well the thing is, the budget deficit is so huge we are already looking into delivering the 25/26 budget so I'm not even sure that a new government would be able to reverse all that in time.

I think it was 640m in budget cuts over the last 13 years and I'm pretty sure that is just my organisation. As someone who's job relies on grant funding/money from central government, its quite the worry. 

One of the biggest issues is the rapidly aging population and the dearth of qualified, or just the lack of, people that want to go into care work, which means more money spent on agency care provision and not "in house"

Not going to lie, I will hold my hands up and say I could never do adult care work,  so fair play to anyone that does and the agency workers deserve all their pay, but something needs to drastically change in that sector otherwise we are facing an absolute disaster (another one)

I work in adult care and to be honest the money absolutely is with agency staff. We had this absolute gem of an agency carer that used to do 4-5 nights a week with us and the company (probably the most well known private health and care company in the UK) kept trying to get her to join permanently. Her simple response 'why should I? I get £14:50 an hour doing agency and can work when I want to. If I came to you I'd get around £4ph less, be restricted on when I can have holidays, time off etc and if there's no shifts I don't get paid. Stay with the agency and I can pretty much guarantee work every day at a much higher rate'. 

I don't know what the solutions are, but we can't sustain an aging population and a growing population without finding a LOT of extra money from somewhere. Increasing taxes isn't the answer as all it does is just moves the same amount of money around but in different places. I'm all for great advances in health research and that, but keeping people alive longer just simply isn't sustainable long term without a huge overhaul of the pension system. Especially when the other end of the scale we're robotising and automating so many jobs now so there isn't the same amount  of jobs as there used to be, so less chance to save and put money away.

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

18 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah the cuts at my council are dreadful. By 25/26 my directorate has been asked to find 11m of service savings per annum(so not including staff but I imagine cuts there too with hire freezes), and children's and adult services have to cut about 5m between them annually. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the councillors complaining we aren't doing enough to provide better services. Well they are moaning that the money isn't there to do what was on their manifesto promises and blaming council officers for it.

Councils in general are skint, average council apparently 33m in the red. Some of that is though shit investment too. Next couple of years I think many will be at the point where they will do what they legally have to, but no more. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know you're not in this boat but, honestly, this sort of narrative is what drives the "They're all the same" bullshit that keeps stupid people voting for the fucking Tories time after time. I know Labour aren't the party the left wants them to be but, they'd still rule with far more empathy and sense of fairness than these awful bastards ever would. The only way I see that Labour don't win the next general election is if everyone who doesn't lean right spends the next year arguing amongst themselves like that last few years.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, WeeAl said:

In the same vein as @ReturnOfTheMackand @SuperBacon have said there, our health trust got word today that we have to try and cut £25M in spending, between now and the end of the financial year, on such things as new/replacement furniture, equipment, stock, stationary, printing, travel, training etc. 

On the same day, before the word came down about the above, my boss had gotten our estates department to do him a favour and put up a small bit of an old bench in a repurposed area of the canteen, to try and fit some extra seating in via two or three bar stools that we were planning to purchase. He had recently gotten a couple himself for the house that were £70 for the pair from IKEA. Even though they are going to stick the arm in, it can't be too bad. 

So we went to the "proposed supplier" the first in line for the contract for such stuff. There's no prices on their website because you have to phone up, tell them what organisation you are and then you get put through to someone that deals with your account etc (so they can figure out how to charge, is the commonly held thought, right or wrong).

So, a single bar stool, that doesn't cook you breakfast, doesn't massage your back or give you a happy ending nor fuck all. It doesn't even look particularly nice. They want £587+VAT each. In Northern Ireland. The whole system is rotten to the core. Needless to say, our new coffee bar bench will now be repurposed again, as an empty storage shelf, for all the stock that we're no longer allowed to purchase. 

This is completely believable. Every dealing we have with the council over our football ground, they tell us to get the work done and bill them because pricing the jobs using council contractors always come out 2/3 times higher.

There's a massive amount of wastage in the civil service and the NHS. I do get why the Tory approach is to try and squeeze it and force people to be efficient. Whereas Labour just chuck more money at the problem. The latter works though. Services are better under Labour government. More people are employed. More money is passed around. The former doesn't work and never has. It just leads to higher waiting times, angrier, more miserable people and employees and it hasn't touched the deficits.