Are any prequels good?

DEF

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One I've not seen, but I heard got a relatively good reception, is Maleficent. Has anyone on here seen it?

As a Disney fan, one of the worst films they have made in the last decade

4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

How is Maleficent a prequel? It's just an alternative take on the Sleeping Beauty story. It's not even that different. It's shite though, total waste of Sharlto Copley who should be in much more than he is.

Sharlto Copley has yet to let me down, performance wise. Even liked Free Fire

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

How is Maleficent a prequel? It's just an alternative take on the Sleeping Beauty story. It's not even that different. It's shite though, total waste of Sharlto Copley who should be in much more than he is.

I was led to believe that it was the origin story of Maleficent and how she went bad, before the events of Sleeping Beauty. LIke I say, I hadn't seen it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DEF said:

Perhaps worst of all it's a prequel, which got me thinking are there any actually good prequels? I mean sequels get a lot of stick but I'm fucked if I can think of a great prequel.

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly! 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, chokeout said:

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly! 

Bloody hell, yet another film I didn't know was a prequel! I love the Dollars trilogy, but I always thought they were meant to be three separate stories with different characters.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Bloody hell, yet another film I didn't know was a prequel! I love the Dollars trilogy, but I always thought they were meant to be three separate stories with different characters.

There's arguments for and against them being connected (Clint's character being called different names by people, The same actors playing different roles) but time wise this film is set before the others and features him collecting the items for his signature look. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

This for me. Wow I had always assumed they were both sequels or even spiritual sequels. A really great shout. Bloody brilliant film but responsible for the worst headache I've ever had in a cinema (has nothing to do with not sleeping all night due to a whisky session)

• Paid Members

I liked Rogue One. It stood well on its own as a Star Wars does the Dirty Dozen type thing, but  you know what's coming and it doesn't really force the fact that  it's a prequel down your throat. There are a few "I remember that guy from ANH" moments, but it feels more like stuff for you to spot in passing as opposed to being "HEY LOOK! IT'S THIS GUY FROM A NEW HOPE!  IT'S A PREQUEL INNIT!" A lot of the problem with prequels is that they try to be clever and cute with their in-jokes. While Rogue One just gets on with being the movie it is, but rewarding people watching with a  Ponda Baba cameo etc.

• Paid Members

Rogue One and Solo are the only good Star Wars prequels, the other three were terrible films in their own right, let alone feeding into this series. That train scene in Solo is arguably one of the best things in any Star Wars film.