Are any prequels good?

DEF

In the late 90s / early 2000s I would've said Mallrats but I tried watching it recently and it really hasn't aged well at all. Jason Lee (and his dad Stan) is (are) still great but the forced monologue Kevin Smith dialogue really isn't so enjoyable these days. Much like Temple of Doom it's a prequel in the way it's set before the previously released film but as it doesn't really set up events in the other film it can be viewed as a standalone story in that world, neither film screams "PREQUEL" they just have little indicators that they are. Don't tell Kevin Smith I compared Mallrats to Temple of Doom, he'd jizz himself to another heart attack

Solo and Rogue One are the best Star Wars films since Empire

• Paid Members

I thought Prometheus was fine, but some of the more obvious stuff that tied it into the rest of the Alien movies felt like it was shoehorned in. If it'd just been released on its own for people to notice the stuff that was there, and then that chest burster thing had been stuck into a post credit scene it might have fared a bit better, but I think everybody saying "This is where the Alien franchise begins" meant people had an expectation going into it. I know the studio probably had some say in how the film was promoted, but this harmed it. I've not seen Covenant, but presume it falls into a lot of similar traps.

I've not seen Solo, but hear that ditching the other directors for Ron Howard late in production leads to some jarring tonal shifts?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

I think Bumblebee counts as a sequel to the other live action Transformers films, and it's vastly superior to the lot of them. 

Admittedly that's quite a low bar to clear. 

* prequel. But yes, it's great, basically Short Circuit 3.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've not seen Solo, but hear that ditching the other directors for Ron Howard late in production leads to some jarring tonal shifts?

Not really, that I noticed.

• Awards Moderator

Solo's definitely not at the level of Rogue One, but I can't say I noticed any major tonal shifts while watching it. I enjoy it and I like it, and I think it's a good film, but I don't know if it's a good prequel necessarily - fun as it is, it doesn't really add to your understanding or appreciation of Han as a character. Still lots to enjoy though - some great aliens and droids, a great Paul Bettany villain, and Donald Glover being three reasons to give it a go.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I haven't seen Solo, but loved Rogue One. If you guys are comparing it favourably to that I should check it out!

Solo's an improvement on Rogue One by being more of an outright action film and having a better cast. Shame it tanked at the box office, really.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I always wanted to write a script of a prequel to Ghostbusters, where we find out Ray was a nonce and all the ghosts they are 'busting' are the parents of abused children, who killed themselves through grief.

Ian, Shane Meadows has hacked your account mate!

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I always wanted to write a script of a prequel to Ghostbusters, where we find out Ray was a nonce and all the ghosts they are 'busting' are the parents of abused children, who killed themselves through grief.

For real, Dan Aykroyd's written a prequel about the lads (minus Winston) going to highschool in 1969, before they even saw any ghosts, which he reckons will either be a film or a pilot for a new TV series.

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

* prequel. But yes, it's great, basically Short Circuit 3.

Yep, I clearly didn't engage brain before typing sequel.

Back in the day we had Short Circuit 2 taped off of the TV on a Betamax tape. On the label on the side below the name of the movie, my Dad had written "[FOGGY]'S FAVOURITE FILM". Not sure I'd still say that's the case, but it was what I'd been waiting the best part of 30 years for. It's the film that Chappie desperately wanted to be.

As for the Star Wars spin-offs – they're fine, but not better than most efforts in the core trilogies. I reckon Solo was quite sneaky, now that you've pointed out it was an action film that I actually enjoyed!