Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I’m willing to give it a shot but my hopes aren’t high on how much the rest of the cast feature. Almost as though they’ve took a generic sitcom and put Frasier into it and are having people react to him. Seems off.

• Paid Members

It's still a really odd thing to me that an American studio saw Nicholas Lyndhurst and thought "We'll bring him in for the return of a much-loved American comedy series". Nothing against him per se, but what does he offer that they felt the series was missing?

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's still a really odd thing to me that an American studio saw Nicholas Lyndhurst and thought "We'll bring him in

It's still a really odd thing to me that any studio saw Nicholas Lyndhurst and thought "We'll bring him in"

34 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's still a really odd thing to me that an American studio saw Nicholas Lyndhurst and thought "We'll bring him in for the return of a much-loved American comedy series". Nothing against him per se, but what does he offer that they felt the series was missing?

A proven track record that’s decades long in sitcoms, and Britishness! It’s a mark of authenticity dontchaknow!

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

at the risk of being overly morbid about it, it's also Lyndhurst's first acting role since his son died a few years back. It's all very peculiar. 

Lyndhurst and Grammer were on the West End together in 2019 in a (poorly reviewed) production of Man of La Mancha for a few months. Assuming they became friends, wouldn't be a surprise if Grammer lobbied for him, especially with his son dying not long after they met.

The Yanks don't know Only Fools and Horses. So they won't know or care who Lyndhurst is.

And the reboot looks like utter shit. Frasier ended in 2004, Won't be the same without Marty, Daphne or Niles. And it feels like they wrote Niles in but DHP refused to come back so Lyndhurst is playing Not Niles. I mean look at the way he dressed.

18 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

The Yanks don't know Only Fools and Horses. So they won't know or care who Lyndhurst is.

That's fairly sweeping. I'm sure lots of them do through the BBC channel they get.

It's like when they used to ask American rappers what British things they loved and they would always say Benny Hill and Mr Bean. The comedy this place has produced travels far.

I love to imagine Ghostface Killah sitting down to a bit of Bean. Cracks me up.

I also don't mind the Lyndhurst casting. I could think of plenty of people that would be much worse.