Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Why? Martin Clunes is excellent. 

ITV detective dramas are literally the reason this thread started. You could throw De Niro, Pacino and Pesci in one and it’d still be faux gritty with an unrealistic twist and shit ending.

4 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

ITV detective dramas are literally the reason this thread started. You could throw De Niro, Pacino and Pesci in one and it’d still be faux gritty with an unrealistic twist and shit ending.

Is this where all the shit British crime dramas that fill up Netflix come from? Interesting premise, alright suspense in the middle and then completely stick the landing with some bollocks ending. Basically the crime drama equivalent of me trying to pick up women at Uni. 

1 hour ago, simonworden said:

Is this where all the shit British crime dramas that fill up Netflix come from? Interesting premise, alright suspense in the middle and then completely stick the landing with some bollocks ending. Basically the crime drama equivalent of me trying to pick up women at Uni. 

Yup. In fairness I couldn’t tell you if any of them are actually any good because I haven’t watched any in years and when I have seen bits they seem to fall in to the exact description you’d expect. A woman I work with loves them and would tell me all about them. The highlight was the one that had Anna Friel as a child neglecting detective who goes crazy at the end, shaves her head and gets recruited to a secret British agency. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

And that includes Shakespeare & Hathaway, despite claims to the contrary on here, despite it not being ITV.

Edited by PunkStep

36 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

And that includes Shakespeare & Hathaway, despite claims to the contrary on here, despite it not being ITV.

Shakespeare and Hathaway is straight out of the Death in Paradise, Midsummer Murders, Death of the week format. 

It's certainly not a batch of the post Swedish detective dramas where everything has to be gritty as fuck, irrespective, despite being daytime. Looking at you 'London Kills' 

• Paid Members

My main complaint with a lot of current TV dramas is how drawn out they make them. It's 6 1hr parts over 6 weeks but contains 90 minutes of actual plot. 

There was one on ITV a few years back about someone finding out thier wife lived a double life and from what I recall the middle 3 episodes had absolutely nothing to do with the story or character progression by the time episode 6 rolled around. They could have been accidentally deleted before broadcast and had zero impact on the show. 

ITV are also pumping out non stop "based on true events" stories too, I can only assume because it's easier than actually writing something original. 

Edited by Tommy!

10 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

ITV are also pumping out non stop "based on true events" stories too, I can only assume because it's easier than actually writing something original. 

It's just a hugely popular sub-genre. All those murder documentaries on Netflix and other places. They're just playing into that crowd I think.