Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

38 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Also, if it's only really people on Twitter who are saying you're cancelled, you haven't been cancelled.

Louis CK is still gigging and doing a comeback tour. People were saying last year how JK Rowling was cancelled after making anti-trans comments but she'll have publishers queueing up to release her next book which will no doubt sell like hot cakes and probably be the biggest selling book of that year that gets remade into movie. Same with Chris Pratt. People were claiming he was cancelled due to his conservative views and how he attends a church ran by two people who are anti-LGBTQ. Very much doubt they'll be cancelling the next Jurassic World or Guardians of The Galaxy sequel because of it.

I'm finding it hard to think of many celebrities who have actually been truly "cancelled" and no longer have a career due to whatever they did. Spacey? ... Barrymore?

The other thing, of course, is that being cancelled is only applicable to the right wing. McCarthyism was the birth of cancel culture, were Sinead O’Connor and the (Dixie) Chicks cancelled?  Of course they weren’t, they were took to task over being horrible to the pope and to dubya. 

48 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Wasn't Spacey cast in something this year?

And Barrymore lives on on Youtube.

Spacey has been cast in as Gore Vidal in a biopic and he’s also been cast in some Italian movie.

Unless your sent to prison, and even then it’s not guaranteed to kill your career, everyone comes back from being cancelled eventually. It’s just a matter of waiting it out. Unless your DaperLaughs of course, but there was many a reason for him to disappear

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Being "difficult" can seemingly kill your career in the movie industry, if you're a woman that is. Just ask people like Linda Fiorentino.

It's interesting you mention Linda Fiorentino, actually, because I was reading an interesting article about 'difficult' actresses the other day in which she's mentioned prominently.

https://www.rogerebert.com/features/the-history-of-hollywoods-difficult-women

It amazes me to this day that people still choose to believe that she was the problematic one, for instance, on the set of Men in Black, taking the word of TOMMY LEE JONES instead. Tommy Lee Jones, that guy who's notoriously cuddly and not at all irritable.

My feeling on her was that after The Last Seduction, she didn't want to be typecast in femme fatale-type roles so when she rightly spoke about that, she was labelled difficult. A great shame, she was an excellent actress who had a few really good roles under her belt in the 80s before her post-Last Seduction fame.

• Paid Members

I saw a trailer for some detective thing that's going to be on ITV with Martin Clunes as the lead and immediately thought of this thread. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Men Behaving Badly. He is a plenty decent comic actor, but I just can't see him as a gritty detective.