Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
16 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It's absolutely baffling how few instincts Charlotte has for the industry. You could see she has absolutely no idea how those sort of promos should work, no concept of when to give a little to the other person.

She also seems to have staggeringly thin skin for someone in a public profession. 

 

Absolutely, positively, 100% this! She takes everything so personally that she clearly works herself into a shoot.

Funny how there often seems to be ‘personal drama’ when Charlotte is involved isn’t? Amazingly bad luck.

Posted (edited)

I was unaware Kevin Owens injury was THAT serious. I've got a nice little story about Kev.

He did a PCW booking in 2013 and as not a PWG/ROH (etc) viewer I wasn't too aware of him. As most might know, me and my mates used to make silly comedy skits and we roped Kevin into a Power Rangers intro parody we came up with. He was absolutely game for it, but had one specific request that when he did his line 'PACKAGE PILE-DRIVER POWER' like when they form the megazord, that when we edit it all could he have the Blue Ranger colour scheme. I asked if there was any reason and he stated that his son had autism and his favourite colour and Power Ranger was blue and when he'd show his son he'd really love his dad being the blue one. So we did as he asked. We later got a nice message off him a few months later when we put the skit up and doing as he asked. I know that's a bit of a rambling story there but I always remember it and just how delightfully thoughtful it was. 

Anyway hope he doesn't retire, he's so fucking brilliant.

EDIT: Found the video, wasn't too sure if my mate took the channel down but no it's there. 

 

 

Edited by Chili
Spelling bee stings
Posted
6 hours ago, OzExile said:

So cm idea of a favour is being cornered by a manager who rarely interferes in matches in a match that has no stakes. 

Roman has always been very specific to call him his wise man and/or special counsel. Never his manager. It implies he gets a lot of advice about matches and how to handle them. The assumption to me is Punk will now get that advice which is pretty crucial given he’s been advising Roman for years.

Posted
6 hours ago, Chili said:

I was unaware Kevin Owens injury was THAT serious. I've got a nice little story about Kev.

He did a PCW booking in 2013 and as not a PWG/ROH (etc) viewer I wasn't too aware of him. As most might know, me and my mates used to make silly comedy skits and we roped Kevin into a Power Rangers intro parody we came up with. He was absolutely game for it, but had one specific request that when he did his line 'PACKAGE PILE-DRIVER POWER' like when they form the megazord, that when we edit it all could he have the Blue Ranger colour scheme. I asked if there was any reason and he stated that his son had autism and his favourite colour and Power Ranger was blue and when he'd show his son he'd really love his dad being the blue one. So we did as he asked. We later got a nice message off him a few months later when we put the skit up and doing as he asked. I know that's a bit of a rambling story there but I always remember it and just how delightfully thoughtful it was. 

Anyway hope he doesn't retire, he's so fucking brilliant.

Ffs , now Owens is my favourite wrestler. 

Posted
13 hours ago, FUM said:

I am far more interested in the prospect of Orton v Aldis than I ever was Orton v KO and immediately got excited at the prospect when I seen the clip of Aldis getting RKO’ed.

Why though?

Aldis is one of the most bland men to ever step foot in the ring.

Then tie that in with him facing Orton, good grief.

  • Paid Members
Posted
22 hours ago, AndyUK said:

I don't think this triple threat ends any of the beef between anyone because surely Heyman's going to do something to align himself with Rollins.

Fixed.

22 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don't believe that the original plan wasn't Punk/Roman.

At some point, something has pushed them off course. There must have been a plan for Rollins that hasn't come off or something.

It was, Meltzer mentioned it more than a few times as being discussed internally as likely for the big show, between November and January.

It would be the most WWE thing ever, and most accidentally “shades of father in law” happening ever, if Seth talked his way into getting added to the match as designated jobber so neither Punk nor Reigns had to lose, only to get rewarded for the selflessness by being allowed to actually win the match. “Colby’s business, pal.”

Whatever happens, I think Punk vs Rollins continues for at least one more month because they’ll eschew the obvious direction, that a Punk or Reigns winner of a match of this magnitude logically, surely, would put the winner in line for the next shot at their shows title. Which would be a shame, because it would retroactively add those all/important STAKES!!11 a few people seem to need.

Honestly, I don’t get it. The huge match being a huge match and needing to beat your enemy/enemies is enough if the match is big enough. Hogan went on last at two Manias without the match being “for” anything unless we consider Mania VIII was suggested it could be his last match (it obviously wasn’t), Rock vs Cena at Mania 28 had no “stakes,” Reigns vs Undertaker didn’t need to be “for” anything to be considered the biggest match of Mania 33 and go on last, Stone Cold vs Kevin Owens wasn’t “for” anything and received no complaints for main eventing a Night 1, and the two biggest drawers of “that should have gone on last” comments ever, Rock vs Hogan and Taker vs HBK from 25 weren’t really “for” anything either, unless you count (ugh) The Streak, which I don’t. The first match with CM Punk and Roman Reigns wrestling against each other for the first time since before Punk left and Reigns was still in The Shield is 100% worth a Night 1 main event ;  I was going to say “in spite of Rollins” but that actually does a disservice to Seth who, to be fair, was the MVP of Mania weekend last year and with Reigns was half of the truest “main event” in Night 1 history, on top of not getting his planned match with Punk last year - I will not begrudge him this moment back in the spotlight.

Seriously, this “stakes” thing troubles me. Huge gates have been drawn off scores being settled, and plenty of our favourite matches ever didn’t really have any “stakes.” Bret Hart vs Steve Austin at Mania 13 wasn’t “for” anything but the purse money and bragging rights - I don’t know why this has to be such a thing.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Why though?

Aldis is one of the most bland men to ever step foot in the ring.

Then tie that in with him facing Orton, good grief.

Well, clearly people disagree with you. Aldis’s character work is excellent - he’s great on the mic, and you only need to look at his NWA title run to see just how fun he can be as a character. 

His matches with Cody and Tim Storm were also very enjoyable - he’s not a spectacular wrestler, but he’s a perfectly capable one and sometimes that’s all you need. I actually think WWE would benefit from using him as a wrestler full time, he seems tailor-made for their style.

In addition to that, it’s a novelty; Orton against an usual opponent - and I’ve no doubt that both men would be very motivated to make it work.

Posted
43 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Fixed.

It was, Meltzer mentioned it more than a few times as being discussed internally as likely for the big show, between November and January.

It would be the most WWE thing ever, and most accidentally “shades of father in law” happening ever, if Seth talked his way into getting added to the match as designated jobber so neither Punk nor Reigns had to lose, only to get rewarded for the selflessness by being allowed to actually win the match. “Colby’s business, pal.”

Whatever happens, I think Punk vs Rollins continues for at least one more month because they’ll eschew the obvious direction, that a Punk or Reigns winner of a match of this magnitude logically, surely, would put the winner in line for the next shot at their shows title. Which would be a shame, because it would retroactively add those all/important STAKES!!11 a few people seem to need.

Honestly, I don’t get it. The huge match being a huge match and needing to beat your enemy/enemies is enough if the match is big enough. Hogan went on last at two Manias without the match being “for” anything unless we consider Mania VIII was suggested it could be his last match (it obviously wasn’t), Rock vs Cena at Mania 28 had no “stakes,” Reigns vs Undertaker didn’t need to be “for” anything to be considered the biggest match of Mania 33 and go on last, Stone Cold vs Kevin Owens wasn’t “for” anything and received no complaints for main eventing a Night 1, and the two biggest drawers of “that should have gone on last” comments ever, Rock vs Hogan and Taker vs HBK from 25 weren’t really “for” anything either, unless you count (ugh) The Streak, which I don’t. The first match with CM Punk and Roman Reigns wrestling against each other for the first time since before Punk left and Reigns was still in The Shield is 100% worth a Night 1 main event ;  I was going to say “in spite of Rollins” but that actually does a disservice to Seth who, to be fair, was the MVP of Mania weekend last year and with Reigns was half of the truest “main event” in Night 1 history, on top of not getting his planned match with Punk last year - I will not begrudge him this moment back in the spotlight.

Seriously, this “stakes” thing troubles me. Huge gates have been drawn off scores being settled, and plenty of our favourite matches ever didn’t really have any “stakes.” Bret Hart vs Steve Austin at Mania 13 wasn’t “for” anything but the purse money and bragging rights - I don’t know why this has to be such a thing.

 

I agree with all of this... if it was a singles match. For me, the stakes are needed because it's a triple threat match.

Without an incentive, there's no real need for any of the three to take such a high risk, low reward type of match. You'd just say 'no, I'll fight and beat you who I hate, then ill rest up and fight the next person I hate.' Triple threats are something people should be induced into taking, not something you enter into voluntarily.

It's why I quite liked the Smackdown segment in London, as it at least went half way to explaining why each of them would take the match and it hinges around Punk getting his main event/wrestlemania moment. Punk wants the main event, come what may; Rollins is so blinded by anger he just wants to stop Punk; Roman doesn't turn down any form of challenge as he's the best fuck you.

That just about got me there with it. It has a sort of proxy stake as to why the triple threat makes sense.

If it was just Roman/Punk though, completely agree that them wanting to fight would be more than enough. Matches don't intrinsically need 'stakes', but if it's a match type that isn't in the wrestlers best interests, I think some form of stake usually matters to not make them look like wallies.

  • Paid Members
Posted

For me Nick Aldis was the best world champion we had in a long time and he wasn't even in one of the big two companies. He carried the belt like a champion, looked the part and yeah he's not flipping around or anything but if you want solid grounded wrestling he did the job. His match with Cody for the NWA belt was fantastic, and he carried NWA Powerrr for it's entire run until Covid.

I'd love to see him do a match or two in WWE before it's too late and Randy is the perfect star, especially now he seems to be up for anything with very little ego, to give Aldis a great match so if he does come back for a run people believe it. Then you can go from that to Aldis vs Cody running it back, Aldis vs Drew, Sheamus, whoever. I think it's ignorant to think there's no money left on the table with Nick Aldis tbh.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I wouldn’t be against Nick Aldis bursting out of his suit and facing Orton at Wrestlemania. I’m always a sucker for stuff like that.

But the answer seems obvious. Orton Open Challenge at Wrestlemania. Lights go out.

IMG_1692.gif.948f23db62de667602cd27e95b390f1d.gif

“RUSEV DAYYYYYYYYYY!”

IMG_1691.gif.702bf1904bb887834c668688bae06bd8.gif

  • Paid Members
Posted

Should be doable as I assume they’ll have a tank spare following the previous night’s Hall of Fame ceremony. Did you know Triple H rode one once?

  • Paid Members
Posted

One of my favourite stories that didn’t get the chance to progress to its full potential was when William Regal won King of the Ring, and was a GM who was also wrestling, and quite dangerous as a result. I believe the plan was for him to wrestle Triple H for the title, but it never came to be as Regal failed a drug test.

I think that idea still has a lot of potential- someone who is essentially a ‘player manager’ and very dangerous as a result. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I agree with all of this... if it was a singles match. For me, the stakes are needed because it's a triple threat match.

I get what you’re saying but even in triple threat matches with a title, the personal enmity can be a story device within that explains the reason why there’s one match rather than three separate singles matches, without having to do anything about “challengers can’t be separated.” Rock vs HHH vs Angle happens not just merely because Angle wants the title and Hunter wants the title, but that simultaneously they want to beat each other up over Steph.

5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Without an incentive, there's no real need for any of the three to take such a high risk, low reward type of match.

Would that not be true of two wrestlers taking a cage match (for instance) without a prize for winning? Or is that different because the very nature of the singles gimmick match is that it’s (usually) going to give you definitive bragging rights. Where a triple threat by its very nature is only going to resolve one out of three feuds with the decision and leave one party neither winning nor beaten. I think this is why (funnily enough) Paul E used to prefer booking three or four-way dances to be elimination affairs.

I dunno, maybe there’s a point there. Doesn’t help that the last “personal issues” triple threat I can recall before Penta vs Dunne vs Kaiser was Crush vs Savio vs Farooq from 97, which was far from memorable. But I still like Punk vs Reigns vs Rollins on the marquee, even if it means fuck all if Punk nor Roman beat the other or lose to Seth.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...