The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Can I just clear something up that is not related to LA Knight. I've never seen The Walking Dead, I live in Lincolnshire, mindless zombies who require human flesh is the norm, but anyway is it Megan or Negan in The Walking Dead. I always thought it was Megan?

Apparently it's Negan and it's a bloke's name because America.

Glad I stayed up and watched this, just a really fun show and everything on it feels like it has a direction or an aim.

LA Knight mixing with the top guys. Cena acknowledging he has no right to a shot at Reigns. The Cody/Roman staredown. Incredible television. Roman is the king and you don’t realise how much he is missed till he comes back.

Pretty Deadly are great, just old school heel tag team fun.

I seen the comment earlier about Edge freeing up salary for Aldis - he’s actually been working with them as a producer for a bit before this appearance. I’ve never been his biggest fan but he was great on this show and should fit that GM role well.

If Cena ever texts Chavo about the dogs in the enclosed pool area, somebody's going to make a YouTube video piecing together all the random shit he says to the camera before running to the ring. 

8 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I apologise to everyone for this, but I don’t get Pretty Deadly. Fast forward material for me. It also disproportionately annoyed me that a production member didn’t clear the wheelchair for the Brawling Brute’s entrance. Wouldn’t happen on Vince’s watch

apparently the wheelchair was left as a dig at sheamus, according to somebody on twitter who was there live, elton was pounding the chest while he was getting wheeled about, now i don't know if thats true or not, but that sounds hilarious if true.

brilliant show, and the best part was roman getting annoyed by jimmy saying yeet.

Edited by buba3d

spacer.png

Yeah!

Edit: also a big fan of the old school hip hop lyrics that Knight throws into his promos.  This week he quoted John Cena’s Basic Thugganomics intro theme!

Edited by Loki

5 hours ago, Loki said:

spacer.png

Yeah!

Edit: also a big fan of the old school hip hop lyrics that Knight throws into his promos.  This week he quoted John Cena’s Basic Thugganomics intro theme!

Makes absolute sense. He’s a huge hip hop and RnB fan, and used to produce his old theme music, which was invariably hip hop(-leaning). I’m thinking his remixed Impact theme in particular. At least I believe that’s what he told Chris Van Vliet a few years ago. 

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members

I’m back on the Smackers Express. Might even make the Raw connection, too.

After mostly abandoning the weekly shows after Summerslam, and with each TV report reading like they had everything on Summer Auto-Book™, that clip of the Cody and Roman staredown finally pulled me back in to watching the show in full. And thank fuck I did because and this was fantastic. Everything is over. Everything has a purpose and direction. It feels like we’re strapping in for another season of greatness. And boy, after almost exclusively only watching AEW this Summer? These full, brightly-lid, sold out WWE arenas look like Wembley Stadium! The people go on forever!

I love AEW, and it’s definitely more suited to my tastes overall, but when you watch recent episodes of Dynamite and Collision, there’s almost a phantom sense of having a sore neck, combined with a weird feel of claustrophobia. All these tight camera angles and forced perspective to hide the empty seats. It’s enough to give you a headache. Between Fastlane and this show, it genuinely felt like going from 2D to 3D. Lovely stuff.

Phenomenal opening segment. Just a bunch of cool, ultra-over motherfuckers hitting home runs. LA Knight is completely holding up his end of the bargain now they’ve put him in the top spot. It’s almost a shame he’s came around at the same time as Cody because it’s going to suck when he has to lose. I hope they have something big for him afterwards. Send him to Raw to take the belt off Seth. Get it on a real star.

So good to have Roman back. A man who has undeniably completed this pro-wrestling lark. Not only does he have the aura of a million men, and not only is he a tremendous heel, but he’s even nailed the Brock Lesnar method of fucking off just when you start getting stale, in order to feel fresh and exciting again three months later. Genius. Him treating Jimmy like a dickhead and shutting him down for saying, “yeet,” almost made the last few months of bullshit storyline make sense, too. Yes, Jimmy is a stupid idiot acting completely illogically. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

Bonus points for Cena playing his role perfectly. I saw a photo where Cena interacted with Undertaker at last week’s NXT. With any luck Cena hopefully mentioned to Taker that when you’re not a full-time wrestler anymore it is still possible to make cameos and add value to the product without still squashing everyone like they’re Kronik in 2001. Fuck off, Mark. Tragic loser.

Did anyone else notice Roman only had one belt, and Michael Cole very superficially only called him the, “Undisputed WWE Champion?” No mention of, “Universal.” Hopefully that’s gone forever. As stupid as it is having a, “WWE,” and, “World,” Champion, that’s still preferable to having a, “Universal,” champ. Dumbest name for a belt ever. Something you’d introduce in your Hasbro Federation as a seven year old.

Yes Boy! Pretty Deadly return and haven’t missed a beat. Fantastic shithousery. A wheelchair for a shoulder injury! Brilliant. Hopefully the victory lap on the wheelchair becomes a weekly staple. Love them.

Nick Aldis was good. Great delivery of that line, “I’m a big fan…of your dad!” Credit where it’s due to WWE for both acknowledging Aldis’ past but being realistic enough to know they had to give him an understated debut that would match the crowd reaction. If this was AEW, they’d have probably turned the lights on and off, only for it to get a similar smattering of applause and confusion.

It’s obviously not the whole reason, but a solid part as to why Jade Cargill already feels like such a bigger star in WWE is the way they shoot and frame her. It was hilarious here the way they made both her and Charlotte look nine feet tall. I’m convinced Hunter must have been kneeling down! Bonus points for Triple H’s massive, shit-eating grin as he popped out from behind Jade. Really made me laugh. She must be all his Christmas and Birthdays come at once.

IMG_6512.jpeg.7516611c634d8ebceaabf943b8576218.jpeg

Shame Charlotte didn’t take her massive heels off for the run-in though. She looked like a nan struggling to walk to the post office in the winter.

Cody and Jey continue to be an inspired pairing. “Do you feel him, sir?” sign! Yes! In fifteen to twenty years, when people look back at this boom period and talk about how great it was, a perfect example will be Jey coming out and getting the whole crowd to bounce, followed by Cody coming out and nearly creating an earthquake with his, “woaaaaaah!”

But yeah. Obviously the headline coming out of this show is that Cody and Roman still have the magic. In one moment, they got it all back. Goosebumps. Electric. I’ll argue until they day I die that Cody should have won at this year’s Wrestlemania, but if they must stretch it out? And if the Bloodline storyline must go on a year longer than necessary, with this Summer in particular feeling like an essay trying to hit a particular word count? At least those two still have the magic. I’m still going to be completely on the hook for it. I’m the Homer Simpson flag meme all over again. Finish the story, Cody!

A bonus shout out for Karrion Kross, seemingly shooting his own angle online, putting out this video of him watching Cody and Roman’s staredown from the shadows.

Get fucked, you useless, spooky whopper.  He thinks he’s Sting or something putting out that video, but honestly, it’s got the exact same energy as this. Just a waste of space laughably thinking he’s on the same level as the top brass. Jog on.

IMG_6505.gif.180a281195c6b83dfb7304053e8f815d.gif

Edited by Supremo

42 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Michael Cole very superficially only called him the, “Undisputed WWE Champion?” No mention of, “Universal.”

With you on the stupid name, but I could have sworn the ring announcer said "Undisputed WWE Universal Champion" on Roman's entrance.

It's now WWE canon that you have to be a former NWA World Champion to be a General Manager of a brand.  Sack off HBK and get Tim Storm in as GM of NXT, how good would that be??

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Bonus points for Triple H’s massive, shit-eating grin as he popped out from behind Jade. Really made me laugh. She must be all his Christmas and Birthdays come at once.

I've touched on the vibes I'm getting from Hunter already......

On 10/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, air_raid said:

Watching Hunter go up to Jade, I was worried we were about to get a Rubiales moment for a second.

.... however, that Hunter-presided face to face gives me hope that Cargill's first match that will be Jade facing Charlotte and CRUSHING her. Because....

On 10/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, air_raid said:

I wish she'd fuck off.