The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It’s mad that they kept the belt on Roman for so long, only for his eventual loss to be completely overshadowed by The Rock. Rock vs. Cody now feels like the biggest match of all time. Roman’s the sidekick goon. They should switch Night 1 and Night 2. Main course should come last.

All because Black Adam bombed. Bet Roman is wishing he bought more tickets for that theatrical run.

Whilst I agree with this, last night did worry me that as well as losing interest in what they're up to, I might be about to lose my bet with Scorcher. I could absolutely see a world where they plough on regardless with Rock/Roman, Final Boss v Universal Champion, later in the year and Seth/Cody for the participation trophy.

• Paid Members

Not like me to disagree with David Numbers, but I feel this WrestleMania is ice cold outside of The Rock and Cody. Even Bayley vs Iyo Sky feels tepid right now, despite feeling quite hot just a few weeks ago. When LA Knight vs AJ Styles and Uso vs Uso is being pushed as big matches you have to wonder if NAME REDACTED was right on Wrestlemania not being a 2 night event. I’m getting late 00’s/early 10’s vibes from the card so far.

Not saying it's an incorrect take - because I'd personally rather just the straight bullseye shot of heel Roman Vs. face Cody too - but it's reflective of what a mental timeline we're in that "Hot crowd divided on their support between Cody Rhodes and uh...The Rock" can be perceived as a negative.

Watching the segment, though, it was so brutally anachronistic that I'm confident it was planned as straight heel Rock and people were just popping for the occasion moreso than the content/character.  

It was back to the usual Gerwitz drizzling shits. "People who talk about wrestling on the internet need to pay to have sex hahaha!" The little promo after it was some good old school stuff though. 

Edited by The Gaffer

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

All because Black Adam bombed.

I heard it was because of Jack Perry?

23 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

People seem to be eating it up, and are happy to cheer The Rock and boo Cody. Good for them.

But they’re not when they are both on screen together which is what matters. They’ve been lapping up Cody and booing The Rock when both are on screen together.

I think you’re really overthinking some fans in Memphis who were buttered up and given a Rock Concert. There’s no question of what the fans want when Cody appears.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

AJ Styles Vs LA Knight has such big "2nd match on Wrestlemania" energy.

Why is this a bad thing? 

I mean it's not a match I want to see, as I think Knight is quite shit, but every match at Wrestlemania (should in theory-no not that theory) matter, so it makes zero difference where it is on the card.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Why is this a bad thing? 

I mean it's not a match I want to see, as I think Knight is quite shit, but every match at Wrestlemania (should in theory-no not that theory) matter, so it makes zero difference where it is on the card.

Wrestlemania the Showcase of the Immortals. The Super Bowl of Wrestling events. It should be where you have your biggest stars in important matches which sees them conclude a story. This feels like a random Smackdown match. If WrestleMania was 1 night, this wouldn’t probably make the pre show.

9 minutes ago, FUM said:

I think you’re really overthinking some fans in Memphis who were buttered up and given a Rock Concert. There’s no question of what the fans want when Cody appears.

I mean, it's not overthinking it, I'm simply saying what I personally make of it - acknowledging others have a different opinion.

For me personally, and my preference for clear lines and simple heel/face dynamics, having a live audience chant 'whoop that trick' when the heel talks about beating Cody half to death in front of his mother, or booing when shown a live tape of Cody's huge babyface promo on Monday, isn't for me.

For my tastes, last night was everything I hate about wrestling and, recently, The Rock. The first priority last night was The Rock, the distant second was building the beef between Rock/Cody albeit with unclear edges, and the third priority was planting the seeds for Rock/Roman. Roman/Cody didn't even register.

And that's why I'm a bit jaded, as for someone who likes clear lines, it finally felt after years like WWE had found it. A top heel everyone hates, a babyface everyone loves... and they've chosen to get back into the split crowd business voluntarily. I'm happy people are enjoying it, but it just isn't for me.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Why is this a bad thing? 

I'm just taking the piss because it looks a bit of an inconsequential bland match and that usually gets the 2nd match treatment. It's more a feel in the atmosphere on a big show sometimes that after a hot opener, the momentum can struggle. It also doesn't really matter.

Edited by Chili
Thickie Holden invented the Tension Sheet

5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm happy people are enjoying it, but it just isn't for me.

This is the crux isn't it? It's obviously hard to satisfy everyone but even more maddening when they had a clear vision and have now muddied that with what isn't to everyone's tastes.

I hope you do enjoy it, but I still think we need that Travel Lodge address just in case.

Personally I'm loving The Rock. I haven't tuned into Smackdown weekly for years and I'm locked in ATM!

Then I open this thread and all I see is certain opinions trying to suck the fun out of it. It's not that deep.

This could be the The Rocks finest run and it may seem like he's over shadowing Reigns but we all know that's going to come to a head too. 

I'm loving it and fuck the miserables fucks in this thread. Hollywood Dwayne 4eva.