Greatest shock returns

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I might be proven wrong by the thread but I can't think of that many that were actually a shock. Warrior at Mania 8 is one of the first couple to spring to mind. Although that was a little underwhelming due to the opposition.

So Cena at Rumble 2008 is the very obvious winner of the ones I can think of. Obviously it's almost legendary now but the reaction was amazing at the time.

Undertaker returning at Judgement Day in 2000 was amazing at the time but I knew he was on his was back. Not so much a shock as a fingers crossed, "please let this be him" sort of thing.

• Paid Members

Does The Rock coming back in 2011 count as a shock? I ask because I was slightly out of the loop of NEWZ and just watching Raw unspoiled every week so it shocked the shit out of me. And while the run itself may not have been great, for one night the pop was amazing and the verbiage highly entertaining. So for a return as in ā€œmoment they came backā€ it ranks way up there for me.

Next to every time Shawn needed help and brought Sid back.

Bossman in 1998. Heā€™d been gone five years, but it might as well have been a thousand given the changes wrestling had gone through in that time. When that balaclava came off, Iā€™d have been equally shocked if it had been Freddie Blassie, Bruno Sammartino or Henry VIII as I was to see Bossman back.Ā It felt like that time Sam Gamgee thawed out a caveman in his back garden. I watched NitroĀ as well, so I must have seen him in the years in between. I just couldnā€™t get my head round him existing in the same universe as Stone Cold, The Rock, DX and Mankind. Iā€™d never seen him as a baddie in the WWF before,Ā either. It seemed normal within a week or two but in that initial moment, completely threw me.

Similar one, Tatanka in 2005 or 2006. ā€œIā€™m going back to WWE soonā€ seemed like something heā€™d say to look the big manĀ at convention signings, and people would laugh about it on the train home. But he only fucking turned up! And lasted for months.

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Bossman in 1998. Heā€™d been gone five years, but it might as well have been a thousand given the changes wrestling had gone through in that time. When that balaclava came off, Iā€™d have been equally shocked if it had been Freddie Blassie, Bruno Sammartino or Henry VIII as I was to see Bossman back.Ā It felt like that time Sam Gamgee thawed out a caveman in his back garden. I watched NitroĀ as well, so I must have seen him in the years in between. I just couldnā€™t get my head round him existing in the same universe as Stone Cold, The Rock, DX and Mankind. Iā€™d never seen him as a baddie in the WWF before,Ā either. It seemed normal within a week or two but in that initial moment, completely threw me.

Similar one, Tatanka in 2005 or 2006. ā€œIā€™m going back to WWE soonā€ seemed like something heā€™d say to look the big manĀ at convention signings, and people would laugh about it on the train home. But he only fucking turned up! And lasted for months.

This is weird. So when warrior came back at mania 8 it was like heā€™d been gone for years. These days though, imagine if say, carlito came back. Itā€™s been 9 years but seems like about 2. I guess itā€™s because wrestling doesnā€™t seem to have really changed much in about 15 years. the jumps from say, mania 6 to 9 seem enormous. As do 12 to 15. But 22 to 32 seems like nothing.Ā 

• Paid Members

Batista's recent return got me. I know he's been talking about it for ages, ever since the end of his 2014 run, and I always expected he would do one last match at some point, but I wasn't on the news sites that day so hadn't heard that he actually reallyĀ wouldĀ return on Raw that night. I was really caught off guard when they showed him dragging a cameraman all over the backstage area. I'm not quite sure what or who I expected would ruin Flair's big bash. I guess I just didn't really think about it.Ā 

Batistas most recent was a shock to me aswell.

Big Show at Rumble 01, he'd only been gone for about 5 months if memory serves but apparently he was in the dog house for being out of shape and wasnt expected back any time soon.

Definitely Warrior at Mania 8.

• Paid Members

Big Show returning should never be a shock for anyone, fucker comes and goes more than the common cold.

Kane too.

Nothing will ever come close to Cena at the Rumble. They've tried to do it subsequently with the likes of Edge and Jericho but nothing compares to the reaction Cena got.

• Paid Members

I've posted about these before in the 'When It's Good, It's Fucking Great' thread, but they'reĀ worth mentioning again as they're both superb shock returns and the crowd go absolutely insane in both.

The first is Super Dragon's return to his home promotion of PWG in 2011 after a long absence to help long-time rival Kevin Steen even the odds against the dastardly Young Bucks;

Ā 

The other is the surprise return of Kyle O'Reilly in 2015 after he was locked away by ROH contracts for a year. He appears to help Team PWG do battle against Mount Rushmore 2.0, which consisted of arch-enemy Roderick Strong, his ex-tag partner Adam Cole, and the team whom he actually made his PWG debut against, The YoungĀ Bucks.

You canĀ ļ»æskip to 5:20 for the return but I recommend watching fromĀ ļ»æ4:30 onward;

Actually, both those shows (Steen Wolf and All Star Weekend 11: Night 2) rank up there with WrestleMania 17 and Summerslam 2002 asĀ my all-time favourite events. Highly recommended with loads of familiar names.

Hardys at Mania 33 gets my nod. I usually avoid all NEWZ sites for Mania week, so had no idea if it was even rumoured. I fell for the New Day introducing them in ring gear and Kofi taking a few steps down the aisle and then almost leapt off my sofa when their music kicked in.

Ā 

I think in terms of recent returns Shans return on 2016 as mentioned above was the most shocking for meĀ 

I hadn't heard a single thing about him in years and he seemed happy to be away from the company and there was no indication that he was returning (that I had seen at least anyway) at all

So when his music hit at that moment I genuinely was totally surprised.

Batista return was a surprise that he returend at that very moment but he only been on TV 4 months beforehand and there was still the rumours doing the round he was working Mania this year if HHH was fit enough so wasnt really a totally surprise to see him appear.

The Rock in 2011 as guest host was surprising as well and from memory would be the Last time before Shane that I was completly shocked at seeing someone.

Oh aye, the Hardy's at Wrestlemania - I knew it was a possibility going in but didn't think it'd happen on the night, I went ape when the music hit. great stuff.

Ā 

Ā 

also Warrior at 'mania 8. as a kid that was fantastic. lost my shit when his music hit.

Archived