Greatest shock returns

• Paid Members

One of the best ones was one that didn't actually happen - the Bret Hart tease by HBK in Canada. Never heard a crowd go as mental as that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, air_raid said:

Does The Rock coming back in 2011 count as a shock? I ask because I was slightly out of the loop of NEWZ and just watching Raw unspoiled every week so it shocked the shit out of me. And while the run itself may not have been great, for one night the pop was amazing and the verbiage highly entertaining. So for a return as in “moment they came back” it ranks way up there for me.

This definitely counts for me. Did the sheets even know for sure Rocky was coming back? I remember there were whispers, but also whispers about Lady Gaga or Justin Beiber being the WrestleMania host. So when they showed the woman's feet getting out of the limo on Atlas Cam I assumed it was some pop star.

This was at a time when I'd just moved to a new city and hardly knew anyone; so I'm pretty sure if it was a strong rumour on the Newz sites I'd have been aware of it.

16 hours ago, Pinc said:

So when they showed the woman's feet getting out of the limo on Atlas Cam

Bravo. That's brilliant. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Was the Dudey Boyz return well known about? They got a massive pop. 

When Mick Foley joined them?

• Paid Members

Having only just gotten the internet in October 2002, Scott Steiner at that years Survivor Series really took me unawares. The siren going off and Big Poppa Pump striding out in all his glory, before demanding a fucking mic and beating the piss out of Matt Hardy and Chris Nowinski was a beautiful moment. 

Cena's Rumble return though, as mentioned several times already, was certainly one of the biggest shocks. I don't know if there was a single whisper going around about that one at all, but I don't think there were really any of us fans that expected him back that side of WrestleMania at all. What was the general consensus? May? June maybe?

He popped the Garden magnificently at the peak of the 'We Hate Cena' fan club carry on, which I can't see having happened if there were any mutterings of him possibly being on the show. 

• Paid Members

That Cena return really is the winner for me. Me and my brother had booked the travel package for WM24 and had gotten used to the idea that Cena wouldn't be there.

When he strolled out, we woke up my Dad from screaming. Which was hilarious in that neither of us was living at home and we'd only nipped round his USE his cable box...

EDIT: NOT 'ushers cable box...'. Though both made me pop my collar...

I'll get my coat...

2 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Was the Dudley Boyz return well known about? They got a massive pop. 

It definitely wasn't. I was at the concessions during New Day's match but was rushing back because I thought Enzo and Cass were going to debut. When the Dudleyz music hit I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, marc2j said:

Which was hilarious in that neither of us was living at home and we'd only nipped round his to ushers cable box...

F136A2AF-5290-4186-8894-F9662F3E8C51.jpeg

• Paid Members

Hardys at Wrestlemania 33. The NEWZ sites had been rumouring it, but even so when that music hit.....

Also Perfect at Royal Rumble 2002. Last I saw of him was the Texas Rednecks gimmick. He’d been gone for about 8 years or so but felt like a life time and he’d hardly aged a day.

also does Cactus Jack count during the build up to RR 2000? Because that was when I had just got back into it and it felt like a big deal

Archived