KIng Kong Bundy dead at 61

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Christopher Pallies, best known as King Kong Bundy, has passed away at the age of 61.

No further details are currently known. David Herro was the first to report the news, with PWInsider later confirming he had passed away.

Bundy started his career in 1981, wrestling for WWE under the name Chris Canyon. He later relocated to Texas, where he soon adopted the moniker King Kong Bundy, facing Fritz Von Erich in his retirement match at Texas Stadium in 1982. He later went to Mid South Wrestling, adopting a gimmick where he would demand a five count instead of the normal three when pinning an opponent.

He joined the WWE in 1985 and was given a monster push upon arrival, His most memorable match during this run was a steel cage match against Hulk Hogan for the WWE title in the main event of WrestleMania 2 in 1986. Once that program ended, Bundy teamed with Big John Studd and had another program with Hogan before leaving the company in 1988.

He made one last run in the WWF in 1994, joining Ted DiBiase’s Million Dollar Corporation. He left the following year and largely worked independents until 2007.

Bundy is also known for his acting roles, most notably playing the brother of Peggy Bundy on the television sitcom Married With Children. He also had a role in the 1988 Richard Pryor film Moving as an ex-con.

:(

Here he is portraying an alien.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to say other one of my childhood hero's passes away.. He was a good laugh I enjoyed the midget match at mania 3 and his 94-95 run and looking back on the network the last couple of years I've seen bits of his 80's run.. Rip big man. 

• Awards Moderator

That's a shame. Thought he might have been one of that generation to have lived to a ripe old age and get to be in the HOF non-posthumously. So he was in his 20s when he got his big WWE run? I've never watched his WrestleMania main event with Hogan but will put that on tonight. Always had a soft spot for his Mania XI match with Taker - it's objectively not very good but for some reason I like it anyway. RIP Bundy.

Crazy to think he was only 28 years old when he was facing the likes of Andre at MSG, and Hogan in a cage at Wrestlemania II. 

I rank him alongside Earthquake as the scariest opponents Hogan had during that era, with both of them sending kids home in tears after putting the Hulkster out of the game with rib injuries.

RIP big man, another legend gone.

I'll admit i was never a massive fan of Bundy the wrestler but seeing more recent footage from conventions etc he did seem like a very nice guy outside of the ring, always thought he might've popped up later on in WWE when the likes of Slaughter etc were making appearances/comedy shots as his look hadn't changed a jot

Is he not already in the HOF? , if not he must be in line for an induction,  headlined the biggest Wrestlemania crowd wise and did plenty of fairly notable stuff 

• Paid Members

i never really got to see much Bundy, he was a couple of years before my time but along with Andre, they were the two guys that genuinely frightened me as a kid when i saw pictures of them. 

RIP to the big man.

• Paid Members

It was only recently that I watched his KC shoot interview looking back at WM2. I was always impressed by how he played down everything and wasn't a mark for anything he did. His initial run was before my time, although I've seen his PPV outings, but I remember him in the Million Dollar Corparation during the New Generation era. Its mad that he was only in his mid 30's when he was being pushed as this relic from the 1980's.

RIP Bundy.

• Paid Members

I hated him in 1995. One of the first times I can remember thinking "Ugh, this guy". He did feel like a relic. Didn't help that Volkoff was in the corporation too and he looked about 86.

That six man tag at Mania 3 is the best of his work. I've not seen it for years but I absolutely loved it the first time i saw it. He's great in it. Like Lawler at Survivor Series in 1994.

• Paid Members

Bundy was class in the 80s. He perfected the art of the big man rock, on the heel bones as the smaller man punched him. He had a stance to him as well, that most wrestlers just dont bother with now. Walking around with his arms out looking like he was even more massive than he was.

Mr WrestleMania for the first 3 years, really. He always had a memorable showing. The SD Jones match, where they said 9 seconds, but it was more like 40. The Hogan cage match with Elvira on commentary. And the midget match. All early WM moments. RIP Big Man.

What's mental was, he was so much more suited to WCW in 1994/95, yet he was pissing around with Ted Dibiase in his shitty glittery tux jumper, when he should have been working Hogan and teaming with the Dungeon during WCW's 80s tribute run. Missed opportunity.

• Paid Members

Did he ever do the 5 count thing and somebody kicked out on 4? He was an impressive specimen and certainly knew how to be the monster heel.

Archived