Whatever happened to...

tiger_rick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
15 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

The atomic drop and the equally rare reverse atomic drop, also called the Manhattan drop.

Anyone know why the reverse atomic drop was called the Manhattan Drop?

I always assumed because of the Manhattan Project. Given the atomic connection.

Luger special, that.

But yeah, backdrops... used to be one in every match almost! Haven't seen one in donkeys now. It's interesting how much stuff reflects what's on TV, consciously or otherwise. Like of you'd go to a British indy ten years ago, there'd be a stack of ref bumps, but now you barely see them as WWE don't really do them anymore. Likewise with chairs, obviously.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

I always assumed because of the Manhattan Project. Given the atomic connection.

The Manhattan Drop was what the Atomic Drop was named in Japan - the atomic connection (which is a great name for an '80s tag team) is still there, but obviously they were squeamish about using the word "Atomic" in Japan.

It's come to be used to refer to the inverted Atomic Drop by some people in the West because, like so many move names, it was what it was translated to on games like No Mercy and the first couple of Smackdown games.

• Paid Members

The banners that would hang down from the lighting rig above the ring, four of them with one in line with each corner of the ring. Would usually have the name & logo of the show on them or on certain odd occasions just the WWF logo. Can't remember the time the WWE had dropped them, but I don't think it was too long after the end of the 'attitude era'.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The Manhattan Drop was what the Atomic Drop was named in Japan - the atomic connection (which is a great name for an '80s tag team) is still there, but obviously they were squeamish about using the word "Atomic" in Japan.

It's come to be used to refer to the inverted Atomic Drop by some people in the West because, like so many move names, it was what it was translated to on games like No Mercy and the first couple of Smackdown games.

Have to correct you there. The Atomic Drop is called the Atomic Drop in Japan, and the Manhattan is the reverse version - I know this because Akira Taue did both the Atomic Drop and something called the Atomic Whip, which is where he picks them up for the Drop set-up, but then just throws them forward so they land on their back, senton-style. And Chono did the Manhattan Drop. Those moves even have those names in Japanese wrestling games, like the Giant Gram and Fire Pro series.

The Japanese are actually less squeamish about nuclear references than one might imagine. The entire kaiju genre of films could be said to be one of the many cultural methods of social catharsis, regarding the nuclear horror, that they employed following the war. Obviously, it's not something they talk about lightly, but they don't have the same sensitivity to the nuclear holocaust in the same way that Jews have towards the Shoah, for example.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:52 PM, garynysmon said:

Punching your opponent in the head 10 times while stood on the middle ropes as the crowd counts along. (Ditto ramming their head into the top turnbuckle)

Was it Shane that tried this at Elimination chamber? I remember seeing it recently and found myself counting along like a saddo

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

Thumb to the eye has really gone from the modern sport, too.  I always liked a good heel move.

Similarly for the rope burn eye rake.

• Paid Members

Wrestlers being dropped crotch first on to the top rope with his opponent then shaking the rope up and down.

The use of the ring bell as an illegal weapon

"Tests of strength"

Slingshotting your opponent into the top turnbuckle.

Archived