UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

If you asked me during Season 1 I would have recommended Happy! as a tongue-in-cheek hyper-violent dark comedy thriller. Like Who Framed Roger Rabbit X Hotline Miami.
After just finishing Season 2, I wouldn't be as eager too. Really falls off a cliff and overdoes it with the bizarre stuff at the expense of the suspense and action. It picks up towards the end of Season 2 but it turns out Syfy cancelled it last week anyway.

Smoothie is one of the best TV villains I've seen in ages still though. Guy's a fucking oddity.

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson 

Had no idea who this was but heard Pete Donaldson mention it on a pod and it’s a decent hit rate sketch show. Lots of SNL peeps and also a Samberg cameo @Chest Rockwell and they’re only 15 minute episodes.

Well worth checking out if the above floats your boat. Thought the gift receipt and bumper sticker sketches were the best thing on it. Fucking died at the latter.

• 2 weeks later...

Stranger Things Series 3

Well, fucking hell, that was excellent. 

A much more layered show, with a lot more for everyone to do, and a show with excellent pacing that really never lags at all.

Some awesome additions to the cast, Maya Hawke being the stand out, and this series is utterly hilarious in places.

Honestly, a bit in the final episode had me absolutely in tears, I laughed so much.

Just great work all round.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Stranger Things Series 3

Well, fucking hell, that was excellent. 

A much more layered show, with a lot more for everyone to do, and a show with excellent pacing that really never lags at all.

Some awesome additions to the cast, Maya Hawke being the stand out, and this series is utterly hilarious in places.

Honestly, a bit in the final episode had me absolutely in tears, I laughed so much.

Just great work all round.

You can tell from the get go that they've upped their CGI budget for this season!

Stranger Things 3 last episode spoiler.

RIP Billy, the territories just lost their greatest heel. Obviously Hopper is wandering around the upside down punching stuff and the yank that the Russians have will be Matthew Modine.

• Paid Members
On 6/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, SuperBacon said:

When They See Us

Incredible TV. A harrowing story, and one which will have you disgusted at what those lads were put through. A cracking cast as well, with some strong performances, but the accused are the stand outs. Just so well acted. Jharrel Jerome especially.

Recommend the documentary as well. 

I need something funny after going through that I can tell you.

Got to echo this, an absolutely amazing piece of television, if Jharrel Jerome doesn't win awards for the final episode alone it's an absolute travesty. 

Watch this miniseries. 

Add me to the list of those who loved series 3 of Stranger Things.

At this point, the characters are so well established that I would probably be happy to watch them just going about their lives, nevermind the main supernatural narrative. I feel that one of the biggest strengths of the show is how they integrate new characters into the mix - it's a risk given how beloved the core cast are, so they deserve huge credit for pulling off new successes like Robin and Erica (I know she was in previous seasons but her character now has some meat on the bone). I loved the inclusion of Alexei.

Visually, it looked absolutely amazing and the finale episode is right up there in terms of excitement, action and production as any modern cinema release. There were some excellent moments across this season - I particularly loved the fight with Billy in the sauna room at the end of the fourth episode. There is a great degree of repetition in the plot between seasons, but I imagine that it's probably an homage in itself to the repetitive nature of 80s sequels. I do think the time is now to start giving us some proper answers about the Upside Down though - what it is, what the Mind Flayer actually is, how it got there etc.