Getting a Curry in, what you having?

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

Varies wildly depending on where I am and thus the outlet I'm buying from, how hungry I am, if I've eaten there before.

Poppadoms with depending where I am either mint sauce if their mint sauce is nice or mango chutney if its not or I'm saving the mint sauce for my starter.

If I get a starter, onion bhaji if I'm not being too fat or one of those platter starters if I AM being fat, or if I expect to save half the main for the day after. Depending where I'm getting from either the vegetable platter with aloo tiki, onion bhaji, samosa, potato/spinach pakora and give the paneer to someone else, or the meat one with chicken tikka, seekh kebab, shami kebab (where that mint sauce is handy) or some combination thereof. Or depending on mood, chana puri.

Depending on my choice of curry, peshwari naan (if its a very savoury or hot main) or keema naan (with a mild, creamy or sweet curry). Hardly ever rice unless I'm eating in and being super fat or splitting a rice with someone. Plain boiled or pilau if the other person wants pilau, although one place I buy from does a coconut rice that goes nice with a spicy curry or garlic sizzler platter.

On the side, sometimes, aloo chana, chana masala or aubergine bhaji if I've had it there before and trust they get it right. Horrid thing to get wrong, aubergine.

I'll come back to you on main courses because I've got too much to write and I'll forget something if I try now. It's late. I love curries.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

We have an amazing 're-heat and eat' Indian a few miles down the road in Cardiff. 

https://www.gatewayofindia.co.uk/

I've never ever had a bad meal from this place, absolutely fantastic stuff. Might sound a bit odd to have to reheat the food, but it must help with the marinating process because its so fucking awesome. These guys have won shit loads of awards for their food, too. 

Anyways, it's usually a Chicken or Lamb Curry. Cauliflower Rice, plain Naan and they usually throw in some Popadoms, Pakoras, Samsosa's and some beautiful Yoghurt and Chuntey dips too. 

Between this and the Chippy, I'm living my takeaway best life. 

Rhiwbina-curry.jpg

Edited by Silky Kisser

These days the curry houses are a little limited compared to the west unless you pop to Singapore or Malaysia and can go all out like my first visit to Kuala Lumpur where in a proper Muslim- Indian restaurant I had proper homemade Kofta Lamb Meatball Curry with 2 Naans and Rice, best curry i've ever had.

For take away I usually order either a Jalfrezi or a Tikka Masala or even a Korma if i'm feeling really lazy. Cook my own rice to save a few pennies and get a peshwari naan and either veg samosas or onion baajis usually comes to about 6 quid equivalent which is wonderful!

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

Surprised at the Keema Naan love here though. It's too rich for me. Naans in general just fill me up too much.  

Keema naan makes me wary unless I know the establishment. In the West Midlands I've never had a bad one - the meat is always flattened into almost a sheet before going into the naan, well spiced, delicious. Several Curry Mile deliveries I've had and from other places in Manchester delivering to Castlefield, Stretford and Hulme, the mince just gets stuffed in, doesn't taste as good and often has chewy bits of gristle which led me to believe Manchester can't do keema naan. Then I got one in Eccles and it was the good type. Lovely.

2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Let's hear some love for the sweet and sour delights of the Pathia. My standard when I don't feel like a Vindaloo.

Pathia is one of my safe go-to choices when I feel like a step up in spice from dhansak without going to "hot" hot. Especially eaten in. Strongly feel the onion balance is important, too tomato I'm not fond of and in a sub-average takeaway can lend itself to watery although in a restaurant you're usually ok.

• Paid Members

If I'm eating in I'll normally go for lamb tika jalfrezi or madras, pilau or chili rice and a keema naan. Sometimes I'll go for chicken pakora as a start too.

If I'm particularly peckish I'll push the boat out and switch the rice with a chicken biryani which is a larger pot and comes with a veg curry. Alternatively I'll have a "special sandwich" on the side which is a naan folded into a giant scoop then filled with lamb doner and chicken tika. 

If I'm eating out I'll go for something on the house specials or a chef twist on something, as it's rare I'm eating out these days so I push the boat out. 

Just ordering a curry now, thanks to this thread.  Going for a Dhansak, love Persian style cookery  

I'm also ordering a Sabji Bahar veggie dish - anyone ever had it?

I love to try something that I couldn't or haven't made at home.  Nicest thing I've had is a Chicken Modhupuri from Bombay Joe's in Coventry.  It was delicious and haven't seen it anywhere up north yet.  In fact, I haven't had a takeaway curry in aaaaages.

Chicken/lamb tikka Korma. Pilau rice although I had a nice coconut rice last time. Onion Bhaji, poppadoms, keema naan and mango chutney and mint yoghurt.

I do like proper curries but I'm yet to have one that doesn't ruin my next day. When I lived in the next town over there were loads of Indian take aways so you could get pretty much all that mentioned for £12. I'm a husky bastard but even I could stretch that across two meals.

When I was travelling down Foleshill Road every week instead of getting a curry I'd just get a huge fuck off bag of paneer samosas and a similarly sized bag of jalebi, in general I prefer the sides and sweets to the main meals anyway so could easily have a large saag paneer as a curry replacement.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I love the tandoori mixed grill with plenty of raita. But if I fancy a curry curry, veg biryani and chicken tikka balti. And seventy five onion bhajis. 

Or those tandoori lamb chops from Tayaabs Whitechapel. Bloody hell they're good. 

Tayyabs is excellent; only been once, but that's mainly because it's incredibly popular, and a little expensive now.

Below is my dinner from Thursday evening. Mauritian-style beef mince curry. Normally have rice, but we had garlic and coriander naan this time.

IMG_20181128_191426.thumb.jpg.9332b823c53f9b3562c8da18d97b4fea.jpg