All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Cody is a wierd one. He's built up his 'brand' and name value really well but he can't back it up bell-to-bell. He's solid, even really good at times, but he's not at the level that is to be expected from a main eventer. He's earned the online nickname of 'Mr Three Stars' due to how unbelievably average yet consistent he is.

Yeah, he managed to drag Aldis to something above passable at All In. But that had a lot of build and background going into it, which helpled massively, and the presentation was spot-on.

On the other side of the coin, his much anticipated match with Omega at Supercard Of Honour was overly-long and bordered on boring at points. His subsequently matches with Omega haven't hit the dizzying heights that you'd expect from such a rivalry. He looked the odd man out during the triple threat with Ibushi and Omega earlier this year, and he brought the quality of that match way down to his own level. Those matches really shined a light on his actual lack of in-ring ability, as not even the long and storied rivalry could save them.

Cody excels at proper old school wrestling storytelling; he gets everything right before he steps through the ropes, which gets people in the venue. You're not getting much else after he's got your money though. To be up there with the Cenas and Okadas and Ciampas and AJs and Bryans and Tanahashis, to be a proper main event guy in today's age, you have to be hitting all the marks. Cody falls short of that measuring stick.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Isnt that like having a 2 star match these days, though? Meltzer's handing out stars like they're satsumas.

I've heard Meltzer infer more than once that the current wrestling on offer is his favourite period. Personally I think he's off his rocker and its never been shitter and I don't get much at all out of the current (workrate led) style, but its all an opinion's game isn't it? I have no problem with him really but people put way too much merit on what he has to say.

What he likes and what I like are poles apart but like arseholes, everyone has an opinion.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Isnt that like having a 2 star match these days, though? Meltzer's handing out stars like they're satsumas.

I wonder about the 4 stars in context... who's Cody had these matches - presumably his best - wrestling against? Kenny and Kota? I reckon I've got 3 stars in me playing crash mat for those lads. In 17-18 nearly 19 New Japan Cody still stands out as "skippable" when something breaches 5 stars every other month.

That's assuming of course that measuring the subjective quality of a wrestler's talent or matches by Meltzers' stars is worthwhile. Which it isn't.

Cody is essentially The Miz, only without the stench of having an apparent "failed" run as WWE champ. That may not sound so great as far as his chances in a WWE main event spot go but then again we're living in a world where Jinder Mahal is a former WWE Champion so in reality what's to say that he can't be a top guy in the current scene? Fuck it, Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins are both former champs and Cody is AT LEAST as good as those two, if not even a little bit ahead when it comes to charisma, promos and the ability to actually carry himself like a bonafide star.

• Paid Members

Rollins is better than Cody in every way. His look, size, work, gear. Even his whiny promos are better than Cody's "if I could be serious for a minute" style. As pointed out EVERYONE gets a run with the WWE titles. And he didn't. For a reason.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Rollins is better than Cody in every way. His look, size, work, gear. Even his whiny promos are better than Cody's "if I could be serious for a minute" style. As pointed out EVERYONE gets a run with the WWE titles. And he didn't. For a reason.

Cody > Rollins. Easy. Excluding Kenny Omega, I genuinely believe Cody is genuine main event material. The Cody of 2018 is far ahead of Rollins (although admittedly I haven't watched a Rollins match since Wrestlemania).

Edited by MPDTT

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Good point, well made.

Edited.

Cody has it all - the look, the charisma, the athletic ability, the hot wife valet. I think he is a genuine main event guy. Far, far worse workers have been in main event spots in years gone by.

Edited by MPDTT

14 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I have to say I agree with this on every level... Don't get me wrong I like Cody.. But I wouldn't pay to see him as wwe champ or main event mania. 

Edited by kidzero

• Paid Members

Cody has always been a fantastic mid carder. He's solid in ring and can carry himself well, but he's not a top level guy to my tastes. 

Some see that as an insult, but some fondly remembered people over the years (before the modern age of seemingly giving every one a 3 month run as everyone is so overexposed) fit that description.