All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, MPDTT said:

there has never been a time where the demand for content is like it is today.

There's never been a time when there's been so much wrestling available to the public either. And knowing wrestling fans and their famous hypocrisy, if they do get on major TV and have to tailor their brand of wrestling around what a television executive wants, they'll probably turn on them because they "sold out" or some shit.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

There's never been a time when there's been so much wrestling available to the public either. And knowing wrestling fans and their famous hypocrisy, if they do get on major TV and have to tailor their brand of wrestling around what a television executive wants, they'll probably turn on them because they "sold out" or some shit.

This. Painfully obvious outcome, not to mention the backlash that will eventually befall Cody/Young Bucks etc if they are booked (or rather book themselves) as the focal point of the promotion. Any time they go over it will just get scrutinised (which in some cases would be justifiable, but on either side of the divide it'll just provide tiresome arguments). 

I'm no businessman but I think the most sensible strategy they could go for in the short term would be to avoid traditional television markets altogether while things keep growing. Keep building up content strands via their YouTube show, then run a big event once a month or every two months on the scale of an All In. Use the online/social media platforms to keep building up to their big events and grow a wider mainstream presence in that fashion. The money from Khan's fat wad should go on advertising, better graphics, killer production values (both online and on the arena sets. In fairness All In actually looked the part IMO), etc rather than chasing TV deals or directly competing with WWE at this stage. They obviously can't run a promotion with *just* their YouTube show to build things up, but adding all of these elements together should, in theory, generate sufficient buzz. 

The success of this will largely depend on just how much money they will spunk on it and how clever their marketing strategies are. I don't think there's any question that they'd be compelling to watch from an in-ring aspect. How can you not wish them all the best with it? 

• Paid Members

Cheers for the info @mim731 and @IANdrewDiceClay. Stories of promotions with ideas way above their station have always intrigued me. 

Back on-topic, I hope The Elite lads are thinking long-term for this venture. Yeah, you got 10,000 for All In but how does that translate to weekly events, house show tours and big blow-off shows? Start out small and work your way up. 

I personally really enjoy the Being The Elite show they do, if this turns into a weekly show with a few matches and lots of skits and stories that build wrestlers, but to see the real big matches you have to go to the big shows to see them, that’s good to me. Be 80s wrestling updated instead of everyone that tries to be wwe now 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I think the only true big name they could go for would be Brock. 

The type of consumer this venture will appeal to detest Brock though.

I've always thought CM Punk would be key to something like this having any chance.

He seems to have finally given up on the MMA dream, he's a name that fans have been desperate to see return for years and I feel like he could potentially love the idea of being part of a project to try and offer competition for WWE and piss off HHH and Vince.

As people have said it doesn't need to compete with WWE just be of good quality, interest, turn a profit and eventually and offer a decent alternative. Who knows where it could go from there.

Rock & Cena are off limits they're never leaving the WWE or going elsewhere as they have no need or motivation to do so.

I think there are a hell of a lot of guys in WWE though who are disgruntled or disillusioned but stay there just because they feel there's no real solid alternative. If a new project starts up, begins to grow and gather some steam then who knows how the landscape may look in say 5 years time.

As a start up if a new project could have CM Punk, Cody, Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Jericho as a start it would at least gather some attention. Who knows whether guys like Batista who now has a whole new level of mainstream appeal could be tempted into the occasional match.

In the not too distant future I could see potential for guys like Rusev, Bray Wyatt, Sami Zayn, Nakamura, Daniel Bryan considering a change. Maybe even family guys like Owens, AJ fancying a lighter schedule with more time at home with their families. 

Add some of those names in with the ones already mentioned along with some of the top current indy guys, rising stars then people from the UK, Mexican and Japanese scenes.

Edited by Jonny Vegas
Add 2 paragraphs.

• Paid Members

World's going fucking mad. If AJ Styles wants to renegotiate for Randy Orton's contract, he'll do so in WWE where the residuals from games, toys etc add to the pot, and because WWE will make it worth it for him because of what his star power represents, now more than ever. AJ or anyone of worth in their peak earning years are not going to bite this bullet. About the only current guy of note I would have seen being not offered enough money or guarantees to stay, and potentially might chance their arm for the shot at carving out something a bit more for himself and be allowed to leave because the value might be extinguished by now in their eyes might be Bray. I'm tempted to say "but they'll make it worth staying because he's family" but realistically if they think selling the sheep mask has run its course and he said "I'm not happy" often enough then he could be Stardusted out. Even that is a bit of a stretch, talking about IRS' lad, a former WWE Champion, leaving THE SHOW for a promotion that in every real sense doesn't exist yet.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I've always thought CM Punk would be key to something like this having any chance.

He'd come in, do the promo shooting on WWE, then maybe make a Back to the Future reference the next week, and after that nobody would give a shit again. Just like in WWE.

This will be another promotion on the approximate level of TNA or ROH. Getting all those wrestlers in that you list will garner the attention of wrestling fans, but only if those wrestling fans are seeing the wrestlers do the same thing that they liked them doing in the first place, except they could see that elsewhere so why bother with this?

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

so why bother with this?

So they can look down their noses at WWE fans and make out they are the "Real" fans.  The kind of ones who decided All In was the show of the year before it happened.

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

So they can look down their noses at WWE fans and make out they are the "Real" fans.  The kind of ones who decided All In was the show of the year before it happened.

Just a tad cynical! Why bother with this? Because they probably believe that with the right backing they can forge a credible alternative product that will appeal to a different target audience. Whether that target audience is large enough to create anything (even with huge financial backing) that would be considered anything more than an indie, is a big unknown. I'm a big fan of The Elite, I enjoy BTE and I really, really want to see a credible alternative to WWE. I don't like WWE, I don't watch WWE, I don't have a WWE network subscription. I'm a HonorClub subscriber and a NJPW World subscriber. I wouldn't insult WWE fans for being "fake" wrestling fans however.....each to their own. But yeah, All In was the show of the year as far as I'm concerned.

MPDTT

Edited by MPDTT

• Paid Members

There are already numerous alternative products to WWE, credible or otherwise. What are ROH and CZW and the like if not alternatives? And what is the 'different target audience'? It strikes me, whenever I see NXT or a WWE PPV or the Raw after Wrestlemania, that said 'different target audience' is sat at a WWE event waiting for the wrestlers they've been following around on the indies to appear at a WWE event. 

Edited by Devon Malcolm