All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

1 minute ago, Shy Dad said:

The guy tried to buy Wembley, I'm putting nothing past him and his money if his son wants to have a new toy to play with.

That was so he could move the Jacksonville Jaguars over here. This guy is NFL, not XFL.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

That was so he could move the Jacksonville Jaguars over here. This guy is NFL, not XFL.

Every time I see Jacksonville Jaguars I'm immediately thinking of Jason Mendoza in The Good Place. 

Cricket gimmicks aside, I'm guessing "All Out" is to try and put on a show similar in size to All In. It's reasonably clever business making these announcements when it's coming to the end of some guys' contracts especially with all this money to throw around. He could snap up some names and I'd imagine with people like Jericho and JR on board the creative/talent relations side could be covered. It's probably not going to be anything Vince loses sleep over, but Ron and Don, and Billy Corgan may be slipping down a peg in the pecking order. 

Money does talk and I think alot of wrestlers in the modern age would like to experience the Monday night wars for themselves. 

For me it all depends on how much they can throw at this at a loss

Think I read years ago it'd take upwards of 500m to start a fed that could compete with wwe

Thing is as posted above the lack of stars created now means that there isn't a plethora of stars to pinch. 

Any new fee has to avoid trying to wheel out hogan, flair  etc. Its been done to death and wouldnt make a dent. 

Wrestling is a business and if they had the dosh when stars when available to do silly money offers e.g 15m a year guarantees who wouldn't go? 

Only way I could see it making a massive impact is to offer Cena and Rock silly money (30m) and cart them out. 

Either that or create excellent production values, scour the indies and get the cream and market them great. 

It'd have to be so good though so as not to just a quick 5 minute interest though that I dont think it'd be possible unless they unearthed a Hogan/Rock'esque level of charismatic talent??? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Think I read years ago it'd take upwards of 500m to start a fed that could compete with wwe

Depends how you define compete. No-one is taking their market share. But there is enough to go around. TNA showed for years that there is an audience there who want something different to WWE. However, they were always obsessed with doing what WCW did and threw good money away chasing that dream instead of nurturing their loyal audience and extracting the maximum amount of revenue from them. Even when they had 1.2 million viewers in the US, good markets in the UK and India, a video game, toy deals, etc they were always looking to take on WWE when they should have been working on turning 1.2m viewers into more than about 55 PPV buyers a month.

This company could fill that gap TNA has left. That's where the opportunity is and will be for a long time. Maybe one day, WWE will struggle if they continue to rest on their laurels and TV continues to decline but it shouldn't be the aim.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He could snap up some names and I'd imagine with people like Jericho and JR on board the creative/talent relations side could be covered.

I read it reposted from The Observer that they're nothing to do with running anything and they're both only on board as talent.

1 hour ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Money does talk and I think alot of wrestlers in the modern age would like to experience the Monday night wars for themselves. 

You're having a laugh. During the Wars anyone treading water for as long as a Curt Hawkins, Heath Slater, Curtis Axel or the ilk would have been let go ages ago. Job security for anyone fairly mediocre but working for WWE has never been better than since the monopoly started.

"A lot" is two words.

• Paid Members

I'm sure I read a news piece in Powerslam years ago about a potential new start-up company who planned to overthrow WWE as the leading authority in Sports Entertainment® within five years of their first show. They had Shelton Benjamin attached as the big name. Someone please back me up here! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm sure I read a news piece in Powerslam years ago about a potential new start-up company who planned to overthrow WWE as the leading authority in Sports Entertainment® within five years of their first show. They had Shelton Benjamin attached as the big name. Someone please back me up here! 

Fond memories of when TNA made Hogan do an impassioned promo about a game-changer, a guy who could just "walk in the front door and take the world title" and it turned out to be Kennedy.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I vaguely recall they were Florida-based and had a dumb name. WWP rings a bell, but I could be wrong.

In fact, after some digging, here's this from 411Mania (via PWInsider making it marginally less unreliable)

Here is the latest on the new promotion out of Florida that Milton Wilpon/Peter Karoftis/Sean Davis are working on. The promotion has been named Worldwide Wrestling Promotion, and while it was planed for a fall launch, it has been pushed back to January of 2011. An email was sent out to talent this morning, explaining the delay. Davis wrote to the talent that the financing side of the company had told the wrestling side the following…

“Our original time table is not at all feasible. While we were all committed to launching in October we know now that has become an impossible goal. Our new goal is to start operations in the first part of the new year however we do not as of today have a firm date. That unfortunately means that contracts will have to be changed to a new starting date.”

In the email, Davis states that the financial side feels that the delay is needed, and that he “fought this decision KICKING AND SCREAMING (literally)”. He also stated that the move had to be made, because if it wasn’t, the company would not move forward. Davis goes onto explain that WWP’s attorneys will draw up contract addendums, and that if they didn’t wish to sign them, he understood.

“You will still be welcome to come back to work for us in the future once we are up and running in the early part of the new year. For those of you that sign the contract addendums you will be receiving extra shares of company stock and the addendums will also spell out our full health and benefits plan that will be made available to you.”

Davis also discussed that they have been through a lot already, and that there were forces out there that were trying to stop them…

“[These forces are] doing whatever they can to sabotage everything we are trying to do and doing everything in their power to make sure that this company will never launch. I can promise you though that no matter how many hurdles we have to jump over that there are people here dedicated to doing everything they can to make sure this company WILL launch and we will be a long time player in this industry.”

Davis stated that WWP was not simply launching “a new independent promotion or something that is going to be on the long list of fly by night wrestling companies that have come and gone.” He then went on to explain that they plan on “becoming over the next decade the premiere wrestling company in the world” but that “obviously does not happen overnight.”

Davis promised to share details on several deals that the company had completed over the next few weeks. The promotion has also reached out to Paul Heyman and Jerry Jarrett.

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members

That was when there was a bloke who claimed to be from the Wilpon family and hired Mister Saint Laurent and Kevin Kleinrock as the heads of talent relations. Everyone in ROH and TNA had agreed to jump if the money was real (it wasnt.) MSL was in TNA at the time as Scott Hall's minder, and was going around the locker room poaching all the talent on the off chance that Wilpon bloke was going to come up with the money. Which he didnt, obviously.

This does sound similar.

6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Depends how you define compete. No-one is taking their market share. But there is enough to go around. TNA showed for years that there is an audience there who want something different to WWE. However, they were always obsessed with doing what WCW did and threw good money away chasing that dream instead of nurturing their loyal audience and extracting the maximum amount of revenue from them. Even when they had 1.2 million viewers in the US, good markets in the UK and India, a video game, toy deals, etc they were always looking to take on WWE when they should have been working on turning 1.2m viewers into more than about 55 PPV buyers a month.

This company could fill that gap TNA has left. That's where the opportunity is and will be for a long time. Maybe one day, WWE will struggle if they continue to rest on their laurels and TV continues to decline but it shouldn't be the aim.

100% agree. Challenging to be #1 is off the table. Setting a goal of being a national #2 alternative isn't. You don't need compete with Vince to be successful. In many ways now is the time to launch a venture. With the rise independent wrestling and the advent of streaming services, there has never been a time where the demand for content is like it is today.