Brexit

Devon Malcolm

On the topic of the C4 Leader Debate...

Brexit related:

Johnson couldn't be bothered to attend. He therefore doesn't have to explain or justify his policies and can therefore avoid any scrutiny when it goes pear shaped. 

Rory Stewart is the only one that seems to 'get' the reality of the situation - that the EU will not budge on the current deal - it won't happen.

Dominic Raab has not highlighted any specific details on a no-deal - trade deals, tariffs etc. His only message is 'don't run down the country'.

Every candidate has said no-deal will give the economy a kicking including Gove.

Gove couldn't explain what a no-deal WTO rules Brexit would mean for farmers in Northern Ireland or other areas of the country.

Hunt said that the only way to beat the Brexit Party is to Brexit. Showing that the conservatives will do anything to remain in power even if that means making people poorer. 

Non-Brexit related:

Raab wants to bring about 13-15 year old apprenticeships so that people can get a decent job without relying on academics or getting debt.

Hunt believes that people should die with dignity and respect and that is not happening at the moment (after years in the job apparently).

Gove wants to focus on the next generation - its unfair on youngsters to have more debt, no homes and narrowed horizons - and therefore will look at tuition fees to be 'levied' in different ways. He wants high level technical education. 

Stewart would want to be focusing on 1. education to prepare for the future to pre-empt automaton and 2. adult social care, the 'disgrace' that has crippled older people's care and how people have to change the 'nappies' of the old (or something like that!)

Javid wants to work on public services - education and health. He cited public services as a gateway to where he is now - he was at a comprehensive - and he wants to focus on futher education colleges. No mention of knife crime and got caught out here. 

Gove jumped in and talked about how young people's services are lacking and that policing isn't the only way out of knife crime - good ol' Gove! 

None of the candidates mentioned the environment as a key focus for them if they became leader. 

• Paid Members

Spot on. Rory Stewart occasionally makes a funny on Twitter so he must be a good egg. It's the 2019 version of Boris Johnson going on HIGNFY and everyone having a good laugh at the fucking divot.

13 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

He couldn't hold his own in the debates and it shows.

I'm no supporter of any of the candidates, but the very fact that someone not being able to hold their own on a television debate is considered a yardstick for running the country really does show how far we've fallen.

"What's that? Candidate X has been in politics for 25 years, an MP for close to 20 of those years, is a Doctoral Graduate, and spent his time working as an economist for three of the most recognised financial institutions on the planet before taking up politics*? That's all well and good, but how many Twitter followers does he have, bruv? Can he deliver a snappy soundbite? Is he good at taking hilariously bitchy swipes at the opposition during the debates live on Channel fucking 4? Not to mention that he wears weird-looking glasses and has silly hair."

Who would have thought back in 2006 when the movie Idiocracy was released that we'd be essentially living in that world within 15 years? 

We've got the real-life version of Terry Crews character already running shit across the pond, so let's just get "Boris" in and have done with the fucking thing.

*The above description is of no particular politician.

The whole "worked for MI6" thing is a bit overblown.  He worked for the Foreign Office, not SIS.

If you've been through certain schools or colleges at University, and you then travel quite a bit after uni, sometimes you might be asked to keep an eye open and write up some notes afterwards.  I know a number of chaps whose post-Uni wanderings were perhaps government sponsored, shall we say.  Does that make them spies?  No.  I expect Rory did something similar at times.

• Paid Members

I don't even see why "worked for MI6" is a negative anyway, and any sensible politician would be framing it as a commitment to their country, and indicative of how tactful and professional they can be. But it all seems to have been cooked up by the Telegraph, who have Boris bought and sold anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

After meeting with the unions Labour announced their 'new' Brexit policy last night which is essentially the same non-committal bollocks slightly reworded. Incredibly frustrating especially seeing as local party groups are gearing up members for a potential GE in October. It's so disappointing that (if rumours are to be believed) Corbyn & his team keep ignoring the membership & are willing to plough on with this failed path based on nothing but ideology.

Boris will spank Corbyn in a GE. Labour have fucked it & need a new leader asap. I paid up & voted for Corbyn & he did a good job in moving the party away from the 'New Labour' image that was heavily tainted. Since then though they've avoidably screwed the whole thing, imagine STILL having worse approval ratings than the worst Tory government in living memory & the electorate thinking that Theresa May would still be their preferred PM over Corbyn? Unfortunately there's a large number of Labour members who'd rather keep the party 'ideologically pure' & live under the Tories & just protest from the sidelines than actually work to remove this shithouse Government.

I think Brexit has ultimately spun UK politics on it's head, when the Tories are saying 'fuck business' & Labour are willing to let Brits lose their livelihoods it's no surprise people are flocking to the Lib Dems & Greens. Tories voters are still gonna vote Tory though, & this is the problem 'the left' will always have.

I always thought that Corbyn's stance was anti-EU, no? Also, I think much of the approval ratings against Corbyn have more to do with the fact he's been painted as a pro-IRA, pro-Hamas and an all-round Commie pinko than anything else.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, David said:

I always thought that Corbyn's stance was anti-EU, no? Also, I think much of the approval ratings against Corbyn have more to do with the fact he's been painted as a pro-IRA, pro-Hamas and an all-round Commie pinko than anything else.

He's a staunch Eurosceptic & always has been. Just a couple of months ago NIgel fucking Farage was tweeting out a video of Corbyn giving an anti-EU speech. When the Labour leader is doing Farage's work for him things are fucked.

The problem is that lots of people thought Corbyn was anti-Brexit (based on nothing tbf). Given the Corbyn 'youth-quake' never materialised at the last election & Lab's vote was bolstered by people who thought they'd prevent the oncoming Brexit harm. Now that's gone & any true shift in Brexit policy will be too little too late.

As reprehensible as I find them, the Tories are 100% listening to their membership.

Edited by Dead Mike