Your Daily Commute

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

What is your daily commute like? HOMEWORKER BOASTING POSTS NOT ALLOWED!!!!!

Mine is shit, especially as we go into winter. I usually spend 70 minutes each way driving on a route that is just inundated with roadworks over the next couple of months. Or I experience the misery of getting the train and having to tack on an extra hour to my time in the office due to the idiotic timetable. This is on days when I'm not in London and instead get on delayed trains there and back anyway.

No single organisation has caused me more anger in my everyday life than GWR; the atrocious, overpriced and soul-destroying subsidiary of First Group who have been ruining the trains I catch for upwards of fifteen years. When I am on my deathbed, I will look back and think about the days and weeks I could have had doing something I enjoyed as opposed to waiting for their shitty, delayed and cramped services.

I hate this company enough that I am one of the saddos who frequently Tweets at them in impotent rage. I am on first name terms with their Twitter complaint team. I hate this company enough that I was recently quoted in a national paper outlining why this company is appalling. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Varies, depending on weather/laziness/tiredness:

Option #1 — Using the Citibike bikeshare, which is half a block from our apartment. Cycle down 2nd Avenue most of the time, up a big fuck-off hill (for me, anyway, as a fat lad), and then a smaller hill, and then plain sailing down to work, bike park a block from work. Easy as pie, unless I'm knackered, lazy, carrying too much stuff, or there aren't any bikes to be had. Sometimes I get adventurous and take a different route, head across town and go down fifth avenue, which is easier but there's not really a bike lane to be had. They're rolling out more pedal-assisted bikes, which is making those hills less of a discouragement. Smashed my face on someone's door in Sept 2016, but that was a freak occurrence. Always guaranteed to see some demented driving, a new shop or two, and something fucking weird.

Option #2 — Take the subway. Couple of blocks away, and then either change at Times Square, which is always an experience and means I can get a train literally to the door of my office building, or carry on down to about five minutes walk from work. Generally plain sailing, although a bloke woke up from under a blanket at Times Square recently and screamed "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE!!!"

Option #3 — Take the bus. Great views, can take forever or just terminate without warning about a mile from work.

Option #4 — Get to 34th street, take the ferry. A glorious journey, wish it wasn't just expensive enough to do often, and close enough to home that I didn't have to take bike/bus down there. Allegedly, there will soon be a cheap, direct ferry a block or two away, so I'm anticipating that this will be available in a decade or so.

• Paid Members

In a move barely one step removed from home worker boasting, I live 10-15 minutes' walk uphill from my work. Because of school traffic, walking in is often quicker than if I'd got a lift.

Occasionally, though, I have to do a day or two at Plymouth University. This involves, depending on what time I'm needed there, either an 8am flight to Exeter, or a flight the previous evening. If I'm travelling on my own, this is followed by an absurdly expensive taxi from Exeter Airport to the train station, then a train to Plymouth. 

In order to get back, it's usually a 6.30/7am flight - wherein, if I'm travelling alone, the trains from Plymouth aren't running early enough to get me there on time. So I have to stay at an airport hotel, and still get up around 4.30/5am, get on the flight, and then more often than not go straight from the airport to work for a full shift.

• Paid Members

At the moment it's an absolute dream. 6 miles of dead roads. 

Leave house at 6.45am

Drop the misses off at the train station 6.50am

Park in work 7am.

I've earned this after over 10 years of a 75+ min drive into Cardiff at rush hour and then the same coming home. 

I'm fucked when we relocate in a few years though. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

What is your daily commute like?

Well.....

38 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

HOMEWORKER BOASTING POSTS NOT ALLOWED!!!

Shit.

I'm dole scum.  Wake up, move to couch and play Xbox on a FLAT SCREEN TV that you've paid for.  Occasionally I will post on here to annoy people.  People who pay tax so that I can claim it in benefits and post on here.

• Paid Members

That second pic looks whimsical Ralphy.

Mine is 1 hour door-to-door, Essex to London (City). I'll cycle (downhill, before Chest starts to talk about me sweating on the way to work again) for 10 mins to the train station and hope to god I get a seat- which isn't likely at the moment. I'll spend my time either pissing about on my phone or chatting to either the UKFF's very own yorkie terrier meat-seller Burchills Buddy or my son's football team coach as they sometimes get the same train. I used to be part of a commuter posse (a bunch of us that started chatting after all meeting on the commute)- but since I started getting the earlier train I don't often see them. Usually when we get to Tottenham Hale (*spits*) half of the train clears and I finally get a seat. 10 min walk through the city to my office- past the Gherkin and Heron Tower. I like the commute to be honest.

Takes about 40mins on the bus and walking to work in the morning. 20mins on transport. 20mins walking. Its a bit longer on the way back as for some reason buses turn up whenever they want in the evening. But yeah, not too bad to be honest as I get some exercise in my journey. 

Archived